• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I 'press' these or not? All are CGC graded...?

14 posts in this topic

Okay, I have been contemplating this for some time and have gone 'back and forth' as to whether or not I should press these books; or if it would even be worth it. All the following books are already CGC graded and some (actually a lot) were bought through Comic Link; making me think that 'pressing' these books may not be a viable option. I would value any opinions on this. Here is the list (in no particular order):

Captain Marvel #1 CGC 9.2

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 9.2 (eBay purchase)

Frankenstein #1 CGC 9.4 (Marvel)

Ghosts #1 CGC 9.2

Incredible Hulk #102 CGC 9.2

Werewolf by Night #1 CGC 9.2

Nick Fury #1 CGC 9.2

Incredible Hulk #1 Annual CGC 9.4 (as per CGC; non-color breaking crease)

Ghost Rider #1 CGC 9.2

Marvel Spotlight #1 CGC 9.4

Marvel Team Up #1 CGC 9.2

Marvel Super-Heroes #1 CGC 9.4

Tales of Suspense #64 CGC 9.4

Vault of Evil #1 CGC 9.4

Defenders #1 CGC 9.4

Avengers #71 CGC 9.4

Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 CGC 9.2 (thanks Cal, bought from him on ebay)

Supernatural Thrillers #5 CGC 9.4

Any thoughts or advice? This is just part of a collection I was thinking of 'pressing', but I would want to see how well this goes. I think since some of these were bought from C-Link, they may have been pressed before hand, but I am totally unsure. Sellers on Comic Link normally do not disclose this to my knowledge.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

whether you should or shouldn't really is really very difficult to determine without having the slabs in hand to examine closely so the best option is to send them to a pro like Matt or Joey and they can examine those books closely and tell you which on may benefit from a grade bump with pressing.

+1

Impossible to know without seeing them. All of those are valuable enough that a bump would probably be worth the fees if you can get it but theres no way to tell if you should have them pressed without seeing them or the graders notes (thumbs u

+1

Impossible to know without seeing them. All of those are valuable enough that a bump would probably be worth the fees if you can get it but theres no way to tell if you should have them pressed without seeing them or the graders notes (thumbs u

That is what I wanted to know. I am assuming they do some sort of pre-screen, correct? That bing said, I just worry about getting a lower grade than before. Any guarantees on that, or is it a 'roll of the dice?'

Respectfully,

'mint'

there is NEVER any guarantees...educated guesses more so than rolling the dices I would say but those 2 guys done it long enough, they will tell you which one they think can be upgrade and which one to leave alone. The cost is minimal for pre-screen.

I would usually recommend getting graders' notes but thems a whole lot of books to pay for. Maybe try to see Joey or Matt at a con and bring your books. Like everyone said it really depends on a case by case basis.

Okay, I have been contemplating this for some time and have gone 'back and forth' as to whether or not I should press these books; or if it would even be worth it. All the following books are already CGC graded and some (actually a lot) were bought through Comic Link; making me think that 'pressing' these books may not be a viable option. I would value any opinions on this. Here is the list (in no particular order):

Ghosts #1 CGC 9.2

Nick Fury #1 CGC 9.2

Ghost Rider #1 CGC 9.2

Vault of Evil #1 CGC 9.4

Defenders #1 CGC 9.4

Avengers #71 CGC 9.4

Any thoughts or advice? This is just part of a collection I was thinking of 'pressing', but I would want to see how well this goes. I think since some of these were bought from C-Link, they may have been pressed before hand, but I am totally unsure. Sellers on Comic Link normally do not disclose this to my knowledge.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

First thing you must do is examine every book through the cgc case. Search for non color breaking creases/dents/impressions on both the front and back cover(need a good angle/light when looking through the case). I also check for any surface dirt that can be removed with a dry clean. If you do find flaws that are "press/dry clean" then you consider, if without that flaw would the book come back a higher grade.

I buy my books with the intent to keep but I do examine for possible upgrades and take advantage when I can have them cleaned/pressed/resubbed.

Ghosts #1 CGC 9.2

Nick Fury #1 CGC 9.2

Ghost Rider #1 CGC 9.2

Vault of Evil #1 CGC 9.4

Defenders #1 CGC 9.4

Avengers #71 CGC 9.4

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

....PM sent....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Joeypost is the only service I've ever used.....but he's very honest and his estimated grades are usually accurate . When he's wrong it's always in my favor ( i.e. higher grade)