• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Ditto. Variants make no sense to me, and as a new collector, thwy just add to my confusion big time. Bad enough when a book has multiple printings ...

Variants make sense cause it gives other artists the opportunity for their work to be featured on a comic they are not actively working on.

It also allows fans to potentially have an artist they like be featured on a book they read, as well as having multiple bad covers for a particular issue. As long as it doesn't go overboard which I think bedlam might have for this first issue.

So I lost a bid on a Bedlam b/w variant. But a got a second chance offer. The guy graded it as a VF+ but said it would most likely grade NM and that he undergrades to be safe. When I asked if he could specific a grade he said, "Def NM just not 100% if its 9.4,9.6 or 9.8.All I can say is when I received them they went inside a bag and board and in a top loader,so its been very protected"

Not sure if I should take the plunge and buy it or walk away. What would you guys do?

So I lost a bid on a Bedlam b/w variant. But a got a second chance offer. The guy graded it as a VF+ but said it would most likely grade NM and that he undergrades to be safe. When I asked if he could specific a grade he said, "Def NM just not 100% if its 9.4,9.6 or 9.8.All I can say is when I received them they went inside a bag and board and in a top loader,so its been very protected"

Not sure if I should take the plunge and buy it or walk away. What would you guys do?

Depends on how much but I would most likely walk.

Why not call it like it is then? 8.5 to 9.6/9.8 is a fairly large gap, so the seller clearly isn't confident in his grading abilities. I think he undergrads to avoid an "item not as described" issue, but that's my 2c

If the grade is important to you, then I would wait for a nicer copy on eBay, or, better yet, get one here from someone who can pinpoint the grade for you,

i think you are more worried about your spending $40 on these books.

Not that there's anything wrong with worrying about that, but maybe this comic book thing is not for you?

as for the card analogies, i hear you (ive been a card collector for 30+ years), but keep this in mind with comics ..... short of scams and re-productions, you cant buy this particular copy of Bedlam at cover (or near it) as you can now.

i dont think my point is being made clearly. let me try again.

right now, i can buy a wax pack of 1989 Upper Deck for $3 and pull out a Griffey Jr RC.

cant do that with comics.

I make no secret of the fact that I think card collectors help trash our hobby once before. The above analogy makes sense. The card collecting mentality just plain wont work with comics. I am starting to suspect lately that mentality is creeping back into our industry again and its not a good sign.

i'd assume its a 9.0 and no better, then decide if its worth the price. If it is, be happy if it ends up better. Most people's grading tends to be parabolic, not linear. 9.4 is still a very clean copy, and if he is safe grading it as VF, i doubt its anything close to a 9.4.

ultimately, I would just say, "here's my email, send me a high res pic or scan of the cover, if its decent i'll be happy to pay your price".

You gotta think, if its such an easy sell for $90, why is he offering it on second chance, and not listing it straight up and letting people bid over it.

Edited by CBT

Careful with scans on this one. Biggest problem I have seen is corner tears, mostly starting on the back. Get a spine shot!

If you are talking about the spine, those are bindery tears and are on all copies so will not or should not affect grades

Careful with scans on this one. Biggest problem I have seen is corner tears, mostly starting on the back. Get a spine shot!

If you are talking about the spine, those are bindery tears and are on all copies so will not or should not affect grades

I dunno. They have been pretty bad. 1/2" tears on average. Those don't determine grade at all? Eye sores, thats for sure.

I have 'a lot' of the NYCC copies and every last copy has bindery tears. If it is production related and all copies are like that CGC will have to take it into account.

The RRP is the same way...

As far as 1/2" tears, probably closer to 1/8-1/4" which is typical for bindery...

Reminds me of the 80s lol

I have 'a lot' of the NYCC copies and every last copy has bindery tears. If it is production related and all copies are like that CGC will have to take it into account.

The RRP is the same way...

As far as 1/2" tears, probably closer to 1/8-1/4" which is typical for bindery...

Reminds me of the 80s lol

Gonna break out the tape measure. Have 10 RRP's to re evaluate!