• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

All the shops I've been to (4) have been sold out, were undershipped or the copies they have were thrashed.

My LCS got none. Zeroed out on their order. Glad I've got a Detroit, Phantom and a Third Eye coming! :wishluck:

I hit up 3 LCS in my area. My main shop had one in my hold box, otherwise no more left. 2nd shop only got a few in but they we in folks hold boxes. 3rd store had only the shelf but it was beat to hell. No others available.

I then had to drive up to Denver to pick someone up at the airport so I called the one store I knew was on my way. They said they had them in stock. I get there and there are none on the shelf. I ask the guy behind the counter if he has any Bedlam's and he said no. I was like I just called 5 minutes ago and was told you do?! He was like, oh you are the guy that called?, then grabs a pristine book, tells me it's the last copy, rang me up and out I went! :)

Am I the only one who has doubts that Filmore Press is Madder Red. It may be to predictable a plot twist, but I wonder if we'll discover that Filmore is simply crazy and convinced that he is Madder Red because of psychological delusions. I'm also very interested in learning about Filmore's stay in the mental hospital and the character that abducted him and institutionalized him. I wouldn't be surprised if that character assumes the role of the major antagonist of Filmore. I'm also interested in learning more about the caper-crusader/hero who battled Madder Red. I was really happy with the pace of this book which is something that I was very frieghtened about in light of Spencer's work on Morning Glories. Anyone want to make any predictions?

Also, CBR published a nice review of Bedlam giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

"Bedlam" was once a proper noun, the name of a London asylum. "Gone to Bedlam" became shorthand for going insane, and now the word is a synonym for chaos, uproar and madness. In "Bedlam" #1 by Nick Spencer and Riley Rossmo, Bedlam is proper once more, and grown from asylum to city.

"Bedlam" #1 opens with a crescendo-like face-off between hero and villain. After sound and fury, a cinematic, pale sepia and white, double-paged title page greets the reader's eyes. It's beautiful, and it would be like a breath of fresh air, if Bedlam's façade were not also ever so slightly sinister in its withered grandeur. Since "Bedlam" is named after a place, not a person, the city itself will be no wallflower, and I look forward to seeing how Spencer uses it to examine post-industrial, once-great American cities.

The opening also tells the reader what kind of story "Bedlam" will be – horror and mystery, with its feet planted in realism, while donning the sartorial shorthand of superheroes, including the mask, with all the themes of identity and public vs. private that come with that scrap of clothing.

Riley Rossmo's art grasps the polar demands of Spencer's -script, moving ably between silence and noise, past and present, television and flesh and blood. In the opening pages, Rossmo draws bedlam -- panic, madness and violence – to operatic effect. Madder Red's choice of an orchestra/theater space for his slaughter is a clever detail, as is his reference to singing.

As a villain, Madder Red outdoes even The Joker in his exultation in the ecstasy of drama and the aesthetics of violence. There's a lot of blood, but gore is not the point, and Rossmo's stylized art is a good fit for Spencer's intentions. The contrasts and simplicity of Jean-Paul Osuka's black, white, red and green palette not only complement Rossmo's art, but further reinforce Spencer's emphasis on theater and its duality of comedy and tragedy.

The Joker and Dexter Morgan are Madder Red's closest criminal cousins, and he combines features of both killers, villain and antihero in one. He has a civilian life, however bare, but he is barely functional within it. He has some vestige of a conscience and is an intellectual. Also, like Sherlock Holmes, human suffering does not motivate him, but problem-solving draws his desire "to help."

Despite being more muted in color and visual sound, the present-day, Fillmore Press parts of "Bedlam" #1 are more memorable and original than those with Madder Red. Spencer's dialogue for Press is spellbinding, and unlike anything he's written before. As Press says his lines, the reader hears his intelligence, his irony, the high pitch of his voice and the excitable, twitchy rhythms of his speech.

When Madder Red/Fillmore Press isn't talking, the story drags, but the press conference and TV voiceovers do advance the backstory.

Rossmo's character design dovetails with Spencer's dialogue. Press' thin physique and large features fit his Joker-like nervous energy, and Rossmo's design of Madder Red costume is a cross between a skeleton and a clown. Appropriately, both "Bedlam" #1 and its antihero have an uncomfortable, macabre sense of humor.

When Press needs to make a phone call, his interaction with a salesman is one of the funniest things I've read all year. Momentarily, Press is a likable oddball, but then Spencer twists things around in the following scene, which is visceral and creepy. Rossmo makes Press' actions believable with facial features, body language and visual rhythm. The response of Press' adversaries is believable, too. Isn't it the things we don't understand, but must acknowledge, that are the most terrifying?

"Bedlam" #1 showcases Spencer's gifts for concept, dialogue and mystery as well as Rossmo's skills with mood and pacing, and it's a promising mix of concept and character, creepy and clever, funny and grotesque.

The twenty shops in my Phantom variant program are reporting sellouts across the board.

(Bedlam 2-6 phantoms are indeed coming)

I have one a week coming for the next couple months.

This weeks is Marvel Now Deadpool #1, with a CP Wilson III homage to New Mutants #98

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/The-next--phantomvariant-is--marvel-Now--Deadpool--1--comicmarket.html?soid=1102175080055&aid=R1S8idLupys

Hi Larry

Do you guys have some sort of masters list or something that tells us folks what's coming out next week, next month? I think the store that I'm dealing with is going to be pretty annoyed at if I keep bugging him every day just to see if he has some phantom variants.

Been charged for my 3 ordered FP variants £10.50 inc postage :whee: now lets hope the postman is gentle with those envelopes :juggle:

BTW I loved the book, my LCS had only ordered one (managed to snag it) the art really speaks to me, my LCS guy was like - flicked thru it, didn't really care for the art, I was like - are you dead? he was like - shut up, I was like - your mother.. and then I left - all good

I picked up 5 signed copies of the FP variant, 4 9.8's and 1 9.6

What I didn't like was the fact that all of the normal covers were signed by Frazer Irvine (shrug)

Well he did do the cover ... hm (all the regular covers so far - i.e. #1, #2 and #3)

I get why they have been signed, I just don't understand why FP was only selling signed copies, They didn't have one non signed copy, which is obviously not good if you don't like your books signed.

Been charged for my 3 ordered FP variants £10.50 inc postage :whee: now lets hope the postman is gentle with those envelopes :juggle:

BTW I loved the book, my LCS had only ordered one (managed to snag it) the art really speaks to me, my LCS guy was like - flicked thru it, didn't really care for the art, I was like - are you dead? he was like - shut up, I was like - your mother.. and then I left - all good

:roflmao:

Rsossmo's art is fantastic as far as I am concerned :cloud9:

Hi Larry

Do you guys have some sort of masters list or something that tells us folks what's coming out next week, next month? I think the store that I'm dealing with is going to be pretty annoyed at if I keep bugging him every day just to see if he has some phantom variants.

The program that I developed does not allow this.

I announce the next weeks book on Thursday.

The Phantom is mysterious.

I do "tease" material here quite a bit.

Been charged for mine too but international airmail to Australia takes 14 - 28 working days :sick:

sometimes I feel like I'm spending my whole life waiting for stuff and when I get it I order more stuff that I have to wait for....

I picked up 5 signed copies of the FP variant, 4 9.8's and 1 9.6

What I didn't like was the fact that all of the normal covers were signed by Frazer Irvine (shrug)

Well he did do the cover ... hm (all the regular covers so far - i.e. #1, #2 and #3)

I get why they have been signed, I just don't understand why FP was only selling signed copies, They didn't have one non signed copy, which is obviously not good if you don't like your books signed.

Ah, that is pretty bizarre. Speaking of - I've historically liked Irving's art but I think the Rossmo variant covers have been much better than the digital covers Irving has been doing for the regular issues. Interesting that he's prominently featured on the book too (along with Spencer and Rossmo).

i'm finally on the Larry boat. Don't like some of his comments, but he has done a lot for the th3rd world studio guys, so that goes a long way in my book.

Picked up 3 of Charles's deadpool cover and a bedlam from third eye.

i'm finally on the Larry boat. Don't like some of his comments, but he has done a lot for the th3rd world studio guys, so that goes a long way in my book.

Picked up 3 of Charles's deadpool cover and a bedlam from third eye.

deadpool.JPG

Hoooollllleyyy .

Thanks, Man.

Charles is going to be a rock star.

( Currently we have him working on 17 covers from 4 different publishers. )

Edited by LarrysComics

From what ive been reading it seems alot of these issues(bedlam # 1) were damaged during shipping, at my LCS out of a stack of 30 only 2 were in solid NM+ condition,

Any news on a print run?

Edited by ComicCollectorx19

From what ive been reading it seems alot of these issues(bedlam # 1) were damaged during shipping, at my LCS out of a stack of 30 only 2 were in solid NM+ condition,

Any news on a print run?

My Phantoms were 50/50

My regulars were perfecto

Special thanks to Larry for delivering me beautiful copies of the Phantom variant! The cover is amazing. I can't wait for more Phantom variants.

I tried to take care of you guys.

I had a VERY well respected board member pre-screen my cases of Bedlam.

It WAS what it WAS, but you guys got the best.

Fans that want to Possess sequential entertainment are the future of the industry.

IMHO

Just got news that my five NYCC Bedlam #1's signed by Nick Spencer all graded CGC SS 9.8!

Some happy news after a tough start to the week thanks to Sandy.

:banana::whee:

Great news indeed.

I got there early and most of the exclusives I saw had rough looking corners.