• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Breaking Bad is consistently the highest rated TV show on currently.

It would have been a cool comic book I think. I personally love the show and enjoy every episode.

However, slashing a girl's throat in the opening pages(I know shock value right?)and mass murder (Even as a setup) are just not attractive to me in a comic book no matter how well written they are. I dont care even if he is Joker's long lost brother. Wont be picking up issue 2.

Edited by Fastballspecial

It would have been a cool comic book I think. I personally love the show and enjoy every episode.

However, slashing a girl's throat in the opening pages(I know shock value right?)and mass murder (Even as a setup) are just not attractive to me in a comic book no matter how well written they are. I dont care even if he is Joker's long lost brother. Wont be picking up issue 2.

tumblr_libucsfQwM1qb58xpo1_500.gif

I " AM" handsome as the day is long.

Just a fact.

I think Nick Spencer is producing something special here.

I work the register at a comic shop.

I see buying patterns & trends before most of you.

There are an OBNOXIOUS amount of young Joker fans in the market HUNGRY for this type of edgy material.

I haveput my money where my big fat mouth is.

Months ago. Before the book was released.

I'm buying thousands.

Based on what I perceive as a QUALITY product.

Like I said 6 weeks ago.

Let's see how Bedlam fares at issue #6

You have been on board with this book from day one Larry. No one would argue about that...

Andy was keen on this book from the start too (something that you two have in common lol ) There wasn't too much interest when this thread started though from what I remember.

I think we all realize this is a polarizing book, it's certainly not going to be for everyone. Hoping it's going to have massive wide appeal is probably optimistic, personally I'm enjoying the heck out of it (both the story and art) so far.

I " AM" handsome as the day is long.

Just a fact.

I think Nick Spencer is producing something special here.

I work the register at a comic shop.

I see buying patterns & trends before most of you.

There are an OBNOXIOUS amount of young Joker fans in the market HUNGRY for this type of edgy material.

I haveput my money where my big fat mouth is.

Months ago. Before the book was released.

I'm buying thousands.

Based on what I perceive as a QUALITY product.

Like I said 6 weeks ago.

Let's see how Bedlam fares at issue #6

You have been on board with this book from day one Larry. No one would argue about that...

Andy was keen on this book from the start too (something that you two have in common lol ) There wasn't too much interest when this thread started though from what I remember.

I'm pretty sure I never agreed with Larry on anything.

Even in the PM's we apparently never had.

Nah - Bedlam was always going to be big.

It just didn't have to be raped and pillaged by variants.

I started this thread on 31st July.

So pfft to you and your predictions King Larry - you are nowt but a flim-flam man*

*apologies to Patrick Stewart.

Edited by Andy70

And some would say the same for a show about a meth dealer, and a scene where the main character can just stand there and watch a girl choke on her own vomit, rather than lifting a finger to save her.

This is exactly my point. It might not appeal to everyone, but there is a very large audience for adult subject matter. Cartoons don't appeal to everyone, either. And you couldn't pay me to watch the Twilight movies. That certainly doesn't mean there isn't a market for them.

This is exactly my point. It might not appeal to everyone, but there is a very large audience for adult subject matter.

+1

I enjoyed Bedlam, and I'm one of the wussiest people I know. (shrug)

He's a store owner Easton.

Keep up.

What you thought King Larry was producing variants from his Garage?

He's an entro-pre-nuer don't you know.

I know mucker, but even so, THOUSANDS of copies. Kind of makes my 40 or so pale in comparison!! Thousands of copies would equate to 10+% of the total sale of the book.

That is a fair size gamble on a book that hadn't been released at the time of the gamble.

Oh and fwiw, I thought the book was mess. I liked the black/white/red sections, but the story itself was convoluted and boring, with Z-list movie style dialogue.

My favorite show on TV is Breaking Bad...but I'm probably the only one that likes it. It's pretty adult subject matter.

The BEST Tv show EVER.

We have to (cough,cough) download it this side of the big blue, but as Hodor says, every season gets better and better. I can't think of any Tv series that ramps the tension up more than BB.

The attention to detail on the train robbery and the unfortunate dirt-biker and his tarantula was incredible and worthy of several viewings.But despite its, sometimes, harrowing nature, it does black comedy SUPERBLY well.

And yes, as others have stated, the darkness of the subject matter could be used as a benchmark as to whether or not Bedlam could be converted into suitable TV matter(probably HBO/AMC) - but then the present TV series of TWD is as gruesome as any horror film I have watched for many a year.

Picked up my OA today and they look awesome in hand.

I couldn't believe there were 3 Filmore Press pages still available (shrug) , I very nearly added another 1 to the 2 I have including one particularly interesting page where he shots himself :cloud9:

I may still go back and pick it up, the onwer said they are mine if I want them and they are off display, I just have to convince the wife :/

+1

and for some other people to compare a emmy award winning show like Breaking Bad to Bedlam is suspect at best.

Breaking Bad is one of the greatest shows of all-time.

Bedlam has what one issue?

What next they will compare Skullkickers to Sons of Anarchy?

Like I said I will be very interested to see how hot this is by February.

I definately enjoyed Revival and Saga over Bedlam.

IMHO.

+1

and for some other people to compare a emmy award winning show like Breaking Bad to Bedlam is suspect at best.

Breaking Bad is one of the greatest shows of all-time.

Bedlam has what one issue?

What next they will compare Skullkickers to Sons of Anarchy?

Like I said I will be very interested to see how hot this is by February.

I definately enjoyed Revival and Saga over Bedlam.

IMHO.

But no one was comparing Bedlam to Breaking Bad (shrug)

They were simply using Breaking bad as an example on how an adult themed TV programme could still be a success.

As much as it is crazy to compare the two, like you said, it is also crazy to say Bedlam won't be a success or can't be a hit TV show on the basis of one issue

Just because there's a brutal murder in a comic doesn't mean it would translate to tv...i'm sure they would sanitize any scenes that are too disturbing.

and since we're straying off topic, you can get the 1st 2 seasons of Breaking Bad at Best Buy for $11.99 (for both).

http://slickdeals.net/f/5522464-Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-Seasons-One-and-Two-Blu-ray-12-Free-Shipping

Edited by krighton