• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

It would be nice if we can get Spencer to stick his head in here and say hello and answer a few posts. :shy:

What do you wanna know?

BEST

First Post

ever...

While some think that comic book creators are just interested in creating a property to turn into a TV/Movie deal, it is great to see so many creators maintain their close (but respectful) relationship with the comic book fan base that helps support them regardless of a books buzz for a Hollywood pickup. Twitter, and other social platforms (including message boards) create a great way to maintain that tie that, in the early goings of a book, may be one of the deciding factors of a book continuing on or getting back burnered.

Nick thanks for dropping in, and the same thanks goes out to your compatriots who arevisiting this board, tweeting to fans and in general continuing to foster the comic book community that we share in.

I really liked your Secret Avengers arc, one of the better tie-ins for Fear Itself. And Morning Glories has been a favorite from day one (reminds me of some classic Manga stories)

The bottom line is, the print run on the book was always going to be fairly high, whether it was variants or regular prints. It just wasn't one retailers were going to sleep on. So I don't know, if you were in for the quick turnaround, if we were ever the title for you. The variants are more a symptom there than anything. If they didn't exist, there would just be more copies of the first print cover, and I don't see how you'd like that any more. Does that make sense?

Boom! Hopefully that will shut some of the cry babies up about the variants. Personally I like them as it gives me something else to collect.

Top notch reply

The bottom line is, the print run on the book was always going to be fairly high, whether it was variants or regular prints. It just wasn't one retailers were going to sleep on. So I don't know, if you were in for the quick turnaround, if we were ever the title for you. The variants are more a symptom there than anything. If they didn't exist, there would just be more copies of the first print cover, and I don't see how you'd like that any more. Does that make sense?

Boom! Hopefully that will shut some of the cry babies up about the variants. Personally I like them as it gives me something else to collect.

Top notch reply

+1

Nick:

Just wanted to mention that I love the book, and I really enjoy the way that Riley's kinetic artwork perfectly fits the frantic and chaotic nature of the story.

And...I am of the opinion that the good doctor and his nurses (or at least the way he sees them) are actually a figment of Filmore's imagination.

Someone else asked earlier, but I would also be curious to hear the answer: Do you have a favorite cover thus far?

Nick:

Just wanted to mention that I love the book, and I really enjoy the way that Riley's kinetic artwork perfectly fits the frantic and chaotic nature of the story.

And...I am of the opinion that the good doctor and his nurses (or at least the way he sees them) are actually a figment of Filmore's imagination.

Someone else asked earlier, but I would also be curious to hear the answer: Do you have a favorite cover thus far?

Mr. JJ -

Your usage here concisely describes the narrative in a studious yet poetic fashion. I commend your efforts and look forward to your future submissions ( channeling the professor )

hi nick,

You have some real talent in story telling, without a doubt. I just wonder if there is a limit to the perils of Pauline style episodic ending. Don't get me wrong, it's a great technique and serves to keep readers, but I just don't feel the plot moving enough....What I get out of each episode seems short for some reason...

hi nick,

You have some real talent in story telling, without a doubt. I just wonder if there is a limit to the perils of Pauline style episodic ending. Don't get me wrong, it's a great technique and serves to keep readers, but I just don't feel the plot moving enough....What I get out of each episode seems short for some reason...

Not to be coy, but that is the nature of comics.

Been reading the boards for a while, some good tips on here for what to hunt for and pick up, and seeing that Nick Spencer is replying on the Bedlam thread finally made me join up.

I read the Bedlam preview (in Previews, oddly enough, because get it maybe once a year) and it happened to be the weekend of The Dark Knight Rises premiere / shooting and I thought that would be such bad timing for a book that has great potential.

I'm not squeamish when it comes to comic book or movie violence, in fact the "I really blanking hate kids" panel is among my all time favorite already. The brass balls it takes to publish that gets an A+++ in my book, and Nick if I ever run into you, I'm buying you a beer just for writing that line.

I told my girlfriend about Revival after I picked up #1 and she seemed interested so I got her copy. And then Happy, and then Harvest, and then Bedlam.

She hadn't been into comics for a number of years, and now she looks forward to when I hit up the shops to bring home the new stuff. Revival is her favorite, or I should say WAS her favorite because she reached for the Bedlam #3 before the Revival #6.

My younger brother read Watchmen and Sandman when they were new but got out of it (college, married, kid), but I gave him a Bedlam #1 and he was hooked too! So much that he went to 2 comic shops on his own to find #2.

Nick, I'd like to say that you and Riley are doing something really special here, and that 2 people in my life (and a few more bar buddies) can't be the only ones who have ignored books for a long time and are blown away by Bedlam.

I'm dying for the next issue as soon as I finish reading the last one, and while I do speculate on which books will be "big" so I can make a few bucks to fill up my gas tank, and eat, I'm saddened to see people bailing on here because #1 isn't selling for $40 a pop yet.

Personally I like the variants, any chance to get more killer art of Madder Red is OK by me (though there were too many for #1 to track down).

After that long story being not so short, I have to ask Nick if there's any movie talk about Bedlam yet? That seems to be the "money question" on here for everything. If so it would have to be rated NC-17 / R to get the full effect Madder Red.

Also, any merch coming up? Action figures or t-shirts?