• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

people love the idea of "The Next Walking Dead", but seem to forget that there are no WD #1 variants

So the success of Walking Dead has nothing to do with a TV show, or a really small print run, or good writing for 10 years now...and everything to do with the fact that there wasn't a variant cover for issue 1...?

Do you collect TWD? If so, I would assume you have every version of Image Firsts, the WDW #1s, Capes, Agents, Previews, etc, etc. You're OCD that way. And yet, all of those books contain some version of the content from WD #1. So...where do "variants" end, exactly?

people love the idea of "The Next Walking Dead", but seem to forget that there are no WD #1 variants

So the success of Walking Dead has nothing to do with a TV show, or a really small print run, or good writing for 10 years now...and everything to do with the fact that there wasn't a variant cover for issue 1...?

Do you collect TWD? If so, I would assume you have every version of Image Firsts, the WDW #1s, Capes, Agents, Previews, etc, etc. You're OCD that way. And yet, all of those books contain some version of the content from WD #1. So...where do "variants" end, exactly?

of course current pricing has to do witht he longevity of the book as well as the TV show. who's saying otherwise?

Yes, i do collect TWD. no, i dont have them all yet, but im new to this. would have been much easier if i were at this for a long period of time, but that's not the case.

Variants never end, so it seems.

i am serious

Saga has one variant - RRP

Peter Pan has zero variants

And yet you collect the later printings as if they matter. To most the variant covers will be far more interesting than a later printing with a different color logo.

I'm going to have to agree with this one. I HATE reprints, 1 reprint if its super hot unexpectedly, but 5? Saga and ToT are the worst reprint offenders. Bedlam has a smaller total print run then saga's FIRST PRINT of number one, including all the variants.

A lot of variants are a SIGN of a book being strongly hyped, which tends to mean that demand is inflated. I think a lot of variants are a SYMPTOM of the thing that holds a book back, but not the cause.

my 2 cents

It was a pain in the you-know-what to track down all the variant covers (wish it was as easy as all of the WD #100's, which nobody seems to have a problem with), and I still didn't get the NYCC one because I don't care for the cover as much as the others.

For me, it's a book I love and while I may have overpayed a bit for the Detroit one ($30), it's something that will never leave my collection. Like my worthless Omega the Unknowns and Foolkillers, they will always have a place in my long box (*ahem, pun? maybe)

I do have to say, and I'm not alone here, that I'm liking the artwork for the 2nd printings and the variants waaaaay more than the standard 1st prints. I don't know if that's the plan, to use the best pix for the limited runs, but people DO judge a book by its cover, and the 1-3 "normals" have been weaker compared to the 2nd prints

I've been in customizing retirement for a while but I'll be making a kick 8" Mego custom figure of Madder Red for myself, and a Negan, just because.

I do have to say, and I'm not alone here, that I'm liking the artwork for the 2nd printings and the variants waaaaay more than the standard 1st prints. I don't know if that's the plan, to use the best pix for the limited runs, but people DO judge a book by its cover, and the 1-3 "normals" have been weaker compared to the 2nd prints

Nope, you're not alone. The Rossmo covers are more iconic and just 'feel' like the character to me more than the Irving ones. I'll enjoy picking up each new issue regardless of which cover is on it, but I'd love to see Rossmo -- or alternatively, a different artist still but with a similarly expressive graphic style -- take over the 1st print cover duties at some point.

Come to think of it, this is a character and concept that would lend themselves well to lots of different cover styles. Eventually it might be fun to see a number of cover artists take a crack at it.

:whee:

Come to think of it, this is a character and concept that would lend themselves well to lots of different cover styles. Eventually it might be fun to see a number of cover artists take a crack at it.

Agreed:

Preliminary art for Phantom variant #5:

1360331100453.jpg

Agreed:

That's disturbing. Yet adorable!

Like (thumbs u

That's a nice cover - it's refreshing to see one that diverges from the big Madder Red/FP overlays.

1360331100453.jpg

Thanks!

I adore CPIII

Riley's Dia De Los Muertos # 1 is SOLD OUT at Diamond & starting to sell above cover.

Mini series. Large format.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sold+out&_sadis=200&_adv=1&_sop=12&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_osacat=63&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_dmd=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=dia+de+los+muertos&_sacat=63

Edited by LarrysComics

the first above cover sales on ebay on that one, happened after the book is talked about here.

I sold NONE.

Shop was shorted all our copies.

Should have them Monday.

I can't wait to read it.

Riley's art screams in this larger format.

His Viking & Cowboy / Ninja / Viking ruled!

just saying, ebay is full of completed sales at cover. The first cahnge is after people started talking the book up here.

I dont doubt its a good book, and maybe it is under ordered. But I am always wary when the first place it heats up is here (Blackacre).

I'm far more confident in a book, that gets reported as heating up here, than talked up here, and then picks up.

Agreed:

1360331100453.jpg

Haha, yes.

I love it.