• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

I saw his tweet, and you'd think he'd have several issues written already (seeing how effin late previous ones were), I don't see what kind of "delay" there is aside from one of two things, neither of which are good:

A) He has no idea in which direction he wants to take Bedlam / Madder Red

B) He's toning it down and changing stuff around

Only speculation on my part

This book debuted on Oct. 31st (so basically, November). By end of this month, we'll have shipped 8 issues. That's 8 issues in 9 months we've managed to get out, even with an art team transition and very full schedules elsewhere all around.

We have not been smart in terms of our solicit dates, but in terms of actual shipped product, this book has been pretty much where most creator-owned books are.

As for 'you'd think I'd have several issues written'-- I co-write a twice monthly shipping Avengers book, just did a double ship on Secret Avengers, just did 4 double-sized issues of Morning Glories, launched Superior Foes, and did this. I've been working on basically the equivalent of 7 books in terms of scripts due.

Everyone does their best, and it's not an exact science-- if I'd gotten 1 more -script done per month the last two months, there's be no delay here. But I didn't, because, well, see above. I haven't taken a day off the entire summer. I haven't seen any summer movie you have, because I've been locked away working (I know, cry me a river). Nobody working on this is sitting around playing video games.

The other comments are just... sorry, but absurd is the only word I can think of.

I just wanted to put this out there quickly, because I've never seen a book get such weirdly disproportionate schedule complaints in comparison to how much has actually shipped. Ryan is cranking out pages at an awesome rate, and 9 will be with you in August. We'll have the V2 trade out before the end of the year.

Should never have got involved with the Phantom mob.

You *might* have more than 8,000 readers.

I love your book, but the variants have pissed so many people off, you may as well have shot yourself in your left testicle.

This is your best book.

Embrace it.

Seriously man, you need to get a variant on your posts.

"pissed so many people off" - did you take a survey? how many people stopped reading just cos there were variant covers?

in all honesty I think the market is a bit swamped with variant covers but no one with even half a brain stops reading a good book just because the creative team decided to make 1 or 10 variant covers for it.

Part of the problem is that there are too many great titles out right now. I know that's crazy, but people can only commit to so many new titles. If an ongoing title has a hiccup, it's easy to lose some of the base to the flavor of the week title. Just my 2c

I've never understood people who complain about delays. They nearly always exaggerate and come across so entitled. If you can't understand that "hiccups" happen in the real world then.... (shrug)

Bring on the personal attacks.

I am "entitled" to my opinion, just like you. I was stating that hiccups in production create hiccups in the following. Yes, hiccups happen in the real world and I roll with it, but this is a comic forum where fans are demanding. Every aspect of pop culture has demanding fans, we are no different.

I've never understood people who complain about delays. They nearly always exaggerate and come across so entitled. If you can't understand that "hiccups" happen in the real world then.... (shrug)

I am "entitled" to my opinion, just like you. I was stating that hiccups in production create hiccups in the following. Yes, hiccups happen in the real world and I roll with it, but this is a comic forum where fans are demanding. Every aspect of pop culture has demanding fans, we are no different.

:golfclap:

I wasn't even talking about you.

But people who complain about delays, particularly short delays, do come across entitled. Like a little child having a tantrum because they want their toy NOW and it's just not fair :cry:

Part of the problem is that there are too many great titles out right now. I know that's crazy, but people can only commit to so many new titles. If an ongoing title has a hiccup, it's easy to lose some of the base to the flavor of the week title. Just my 2c

Delays happen in the real world. No one will argue against that. And this is the topic of discussion in NWM it seems every month. But Ryan's first point - about so much good stuff out right now and people can forget quickly - is important to keep in mind. I know if I go to the LCS and there's some new books I want to check out, I may have to look over my pull list and adjust it. I can only afford so many books a month. I do love Bedlam and don't see me taking it off my pull list, but delays don't really help at all if someone isn't fully committed to a book and are on the fence. For those readers, delays can be killers and they will move on. That's just as much the reality as the "delays happen" blanket statement. (shrug)

But people who complain about delays, particularly short delays, do come across entitled. Like a little child having a tantrum because they want their toy NOW and it's just not fair :cry:

That's because I need MOAR!!!!!!

I think that a reasonable analogy would be watching TV. If a show that you are watching is not consistently on the air, you are likely to forget about it and not watch. Although a pull list (or a DVR, for that matter) helps one simply keep reading no matter the release frequency, not everyone has a pull list (or DVR) and it's easy to forget or lose interest in a title when other titles come out more regularly and provide a more consistent form of entertainment.

Also, I don't think that it screams entitlement for someone to say "this book isn't released as frequently as I'd like. I think I'll read something else." It's their money, it's their choice. Also, "hiccups" do happen in the real world and often times result in people losing time, money, jobs, etc. The comic book industry is no different (i.e. I don't think that comic fans are a ton different than the consumers of most goods). Most people who pay for something have some expectation of what they're going to get. If expectations are not met, they move on.

I love Bedlam. It's a great book. A pull list is sufficient to keep me up to date. However, some customers react differently to delays and it's well within their right to do so.

Edited by BeerThirty

I suppose what I don't understand, and this relates to a point someone else made - that people who moan about delays do so because they really love the book - how can a delay or even 2 or 3 make you go from really loving the book to not even buying it anymore? If I love a book, I have no problem waiting for it.

Anyone reading Whispers? lol

I suppose what I don't understand, and this relates to a point someone else made - that people who moan about delays do so because they really love the book - how can a delay or even 2 or 3 make you go from really loving the book to not even buying it anymore? If I love a book, I have no problem waiting for it.

I agree with you. If I've liked a book so far, given a choice I'd rather wait and have the book be equally good rather than rushed. (shrug)

But I do see Ryan's & BeerThirty's points as well... there's a lot of competition out there in the form of other great titles, and different potential customers are going to react differently to delays.

I've not read anyone talking about dropping the book, and a light hearted reminder to a writer / creator who has overcommitted themselves causing delays is more about making a point to him, not having a tantrum. 'What I don't understand' is how three people can all read the same passages and all take different inferences from them...

I've not read anyone talking about dropping the book, and a light hearted reminder to a writer / creator who has overcommitted themselves causing delays is more about making a point to him, not having a tantrum. 'What I don't understand' is how three people can all read the same passages and all take different inferences from them...

People have been talking about how delays can make you drop a book, they say because there are so many books coming out.

I've been talking very generally. When I talk about people who moan about delays I mean everywhere not just this thread. It's not a phenomenon limited to this thread. Also, some of the comments in this thread were daft enough for Nick to call them absurd. If it was all light-hearted I don't think we would have got the long explanation from Nick either. Someone assumed the delay meant that he's toning down the book or something lol Madness.

Ok I set off a poopstorm, glad that the book isn't being toned down but delays cause a loss of momentum and the casual / new reader. I've turned 10 friends onto the book who otherwise wouldn't have bought it and half stopped seeking out the newest issue when the winter delays happened. Oh wow, 5 readers gave up, it's the end of the world, right? Big whoop?

Those are people who would maybe see something else that catches their eye on the Image shelf on their once a month trip to a LCS looking for Bedlam. The die hards like us will buy no matter what, but new readers buying more new books it what makes Bedlam and Revival go.

I should mention: Sorry to Nick for setting you off. I support your book and will continue to do so and tell anyone who will listen about it when the subject of "what's good comes up in the bar. More comic geeks are full-on drunks than you'd imagine.

Nick, I spent years in a punk band with a guy who was in way too many other bands and was often late to practice and skipped recording sessions because he had to jam with a cover band he was in. So, I understand that the original music and albums we did was his baby but the cover band paid the bills. I don't think I have to spell out the analogy