• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

I reject all opinions on comic book casting based on preferring a character's "nineties look".

2c

Okay (shrug)

Magneto by and large has always been in peak physical shape with being in his 50's look. Ian has never looked the part. He looks old and weak.

150-magneto-costume_zpscca13bc4.jpg

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I reject all opinions on comic book casting based on preferring a character's "nineties look".

2c

Okay (shrug)

Magneto by and large has always been in peak physical shape with being in his 50's look. Ian has never looked the part. He looks old and weak.

That's because even by 1989 it was reasonable to say that Magneto was 55. It fit with the WWII origin and would have made him a 10 year old boy in 1944 while the Germans were still operating the concentration camps.

Eventually I expect a ret con of sorts in that Magneto slowed his aging by controlling the ions or something in his cells.

Eventually I expect Frank Castle to have served in Iraq and not Vietnam

Remember, originally Ben Grimm served in WWII, that has been washed away. Tony Stark found himself in Vietnam during some of the earlier Iron Man's and the Cold War was very prevalent during some of the earlier Marvel issues and no longer referenced. Hulk?

2c

Okay (shrug)

By "peak physical condition" you mean the way virtually every male character in comics is depicted?

2c

Okay (shrug)

By "peak physical condition" you mean the way virtually every male character in comics is depicted?

You mean that they all look they are jacked-up on every steroid and chemical solution known to man? lol

2c

Okay (shrug)

You mean that they all look they are jacked-up on every steroid and chemical solution known to man? lol

Like a Jackman. hm

2c

Okay (shrug)

That's because even by 1989 it was reasonable to say that Magneto was 55. It fit with the WWII origin and would have made him a 10 year old boy in 1944 while the Germans were still operating the concentration camps.

Eventually I expect a ret con of sorts in that Magneto slowed his aging by controlling the ions or something in his cells.

Eventually I expect Frank Castle to have served in Iraq and not Vietnam

Remember, originally Ben Grimm served in WWII, that has been washed away. Tony Stark found himself in Vietnam during some of the earlier Iron Man's and the Cold War was very prevalent during some of the earlier Marvel issues and no longer referenced. Hulk?

Magneto was turned into a baby by Alpha the ultimate mutant and then aged a couple years later by Erik the Red. It was said that when he was turned back into an adult it was at the peak of his physical prowess...so he wasn't 55 anymore. I haven't read any new X-MEN book in over 10 years, so I'm sure it's been changed a dozen times over.

I just looked at this picture again and remembered what a previous poster said. Well to that I ask all of you...

Who looks healthier?

Ian McKellen or Keith Richards. (Anyone who doesn't know who Keith (The living embodiment of the Rock and Roll mythos and lifestyle) Richards is you should be ashamed of yourself.)

Edited by Buzzetta

slide_309070_2720369_free.jpg

Mmmmmm.....Sookie Stackhouse. :cloud9:

JL is looking good too.

Gandalf looks like he should be one of the Rolling Stones.

Rug-burn on Jennifer Lawrence's knees?

hm

-slym

Buddy: [thinking Miles is an elf] Did you have to borrow a reindeer to get down here?

Miles Finch: Hey, jackweed, I get more action in a week than you've had in your entire life. I've got houses in L.A., Paris and Vail. In each one, a 70 inch plasma screen. So I suggest you wipe that stupid smile off your face before I come over there and SMACK it off! You feeling strong, my friend? Call me elf one more time.

Buddy: [after a pause] He's an angry elf.

[Miles promptly attacks him]

Miles Finch: [buddy has just innocently called Miles an 'elf' because of his stature, and Miles is clearly very offended, and daring him] Call me an elf.

Buddy: You're an elf!

[Miles attacks Buddy]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2c

Okay (shrug)

You are right in the sense that Magneto has always been depicted quite muscular, since the beginning. But we must remember that any super-hero (or super-villain) type was depicted as more-muscular-than-average up to when new artists with a subtle approach (like Neal Adams in the Silver Age or John Byrne in the Bronze Age) started to differentiate the characterization.

Have you read the reflections I made upon Kevin Nowlan’s depiction in my previous post? I find pretty appropriate how he slightly made Magneto as an older man, while retaining a certain muscularity. Nowlan tended/tends to extremize certain features, but at least he can draw characters in all their ages. There are authors, like Byrne, which were never able to draw children properly (it‘s not easy to draw them, and it requires specific training). :)

*shrug* I thought Franklin Richards always looked like a child when Byrne drew him.

Peace,

Chip

You love Byrne so much that he‘d have looked like a kid to you even if it was drawn like an iguana… lol

Kidding apart, I should make you an example with pictures. To me, the definitive artist with enough mastery to draw children perfectly is Jon Bogdanove. :)

JeNg7ihh.jpg

*shrug* I thought Franklin Richards always looked like a child when Byrne drew him.

Peace,

Chip

You love Byrne so much that he‘d have looked like a kid to you even if it was drawn like an iguana… lol

Kidding apart, I should make you an example with pictures. To me, the definitive artist with enough mastery to draw children perfectly is Jon Bogdanove. :)

JeNg7ihh.jpg

All joking aside, I don't see a problem with the way Byrne children. I'd like to see some specific examples from you depicting his lack of ability in this department.

I won't hold my breath.

All joking aside, I don't see a problem with the way Byrne children. I'd like to see some specific examples from you depicting his lack of ability in this department.

I won't hold my breath.

Byrne drew Franklin about decently, but he lacked the subtleness which makes children’s expressions pretty unique. He pretty much drew franklin as a "small boy/small adult" rather than a kid. Here, for example: those are more the features of a boy about 9-10 years old, rather than a small child like Franklin was when Byrne drew him:

2007-05-16_152239_Franklin_Richards.jpg

Even for the body proportions: see how Jon Bogdanove is able to capture them (for children of different ages) on this Power Pack cover:

672845.jpg

I can’t find inside pages images of Bogdanove drawing Franklin, but if you are able to compare him to other artists you’ll see what I mean (he also came with a background in childrens' books illustrations, and that surely helped). (thumbs u

I don't see an issue with that drawing (shrug)

Also, that inking looks like either Gordon or Ordway and an inker change subtle things.

Edited by Logan510