• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading....where to begin?

13 posts in this topic

Wow, I'm looking over these threads and I'm recognizing that everyone here is just as critical about their comics as I am. However, I've never really "graded" a comic on a point by point instance. If I see something I don't like, I don't buy it because to me it's not NM. But now that I see how nitpicky grading can get and how many different levels there are in each grading category.

Can someone tell me where to begin my training to become a master grader? What are the biggest hints/tips you can give me as I start learning the trade?

Welcome, fellow collector! Two suggestions I'd give right off the top of my head are:

1. Get the OS Grading Guide- Really detailed explanations of what is allowed in the various grades, photos of books that fit into certain grades, etc.

2. Be a regular here, especially in the grading forum. People post scans all the time of books, asking the experts here to grade their books. Also, some other folks post pictures of books they've already had graded, and challenge the experts here to "guess the grade". Really fun, and a great way to learn grading.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, ask, and and you'll find lots of folks here willing to help!

Buy a Overstreet Grtading Guide, 2nd edition. That should help.

BTW Don't quote endlessly from it - that gets rather annoying (jk, FFB! stooges.gif)

You're going to smoke a turd in hell for that!!!!! sumo.gif

Buy a Overstreet Grtading Guide, 2nd edition. That should help.

BTW Don't quote endlessly from it - that gets rather annoying (jk, FFB! stooges.gif)

You're going to smoke a turd in hell for that!!!!! sumo.gif

mad.gif

How likely is it to get a new, modern comic off the stands that is in 9.6 or better condition? I buy the best copy at the store for each comic, but I just did my first attempt at grading (with the overstreet guide) and the two books fell in the 9.2 to 9.4 category...I think.

For example, the Spider-Man book I got looks amazing. But when you scrutinize, you see:

* Four sharp corners and glossy cover.

* Very minor bindary tear on the top corner of spine (unnoticable when looking down on comic, but from side, with spine up, it's visible....very slight)

* Minor color fleck along spine

* Minor indentation on top of back cover

I know I don't have a scan, but does the fact that this comic has 3 very slight "defects" make it fall into the 9.2 category?

I understand that the number of defects comes into play, but what about the size of the defect? Of these three, only the color fleck on the spine is even noticable without looking really close.

How likely is it to get a new, modern comic off the stands that is in 9.6 or better condition? I buy the best copy at the store for each comic, but I just did my first attempt at grading (with the overstreet guide) and the two books fell in the 9.2 to 9.4 category...I think.

For example, the Spider-Man book I got looks amazing. But when you scrutinize, you see:

* Four sharp corners and glossy cover.

* Very minor bindary tear on the top corner of spine (unnoticable when looking down on comic, but from side, with spine up, it's visible....very slight)

* Minor color fleck along spine

* Minor indentation on top of back cover

I know I don't have a scan, but does the fact that this comic has 3 very slight "defects" make it fall into the 9.2 category?

I understand that the number of defects comes into play, but what about the size of the defect? Of these three, only the color fleck on the spine is even noticable without looking really close.

IMO, most LCS new comics are 9.2/9.4 depending on the display method and what time you get there. With spinner racks, all it takes is one customer to bend back the row and they are all 9.0 or lower. frown.gif

I don't think any of the defects you mentioned would preclude a book from the 9.4 grade. Many 9.4s have slightly fuzzy bindery corners and the ink crack running up the spine. These are considered production defects. I think the biggest flaw with new comics are non-color breaking bends and spine stresses (especially black covers).

With a little luck, you probably could get a 9.6 off the rack on a fairly regular basis. A 9.8 is possible, but unlikely... unless you are one of the chosen few that gets to cherry pick books before they hit the shelf. gossip.gif

I am not one of the chosen few. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I'd say most of the books I get from Westfield are 9.4/9.6 material. Less hands have touched them than in a LCS scenario.