• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20 yr hiatus and addicted once again!

12 posts in this topic

20 yr hiatus and addicted once again!

It didn't take much. Just a a one day trip to Wondercon to look for Monster High dolls for my kids. Then the addiction I once felt when I was 14 hit me again. 5 months later and a trip to SDCC, I've been able to acquire 90% of my Copper age collection I had growing up. I've acquired multiple copies of key Copper age issues just to find that potential 9.8 copy!! When will this madness stop?!?

I received my email that they were shipped this week. Here are the grades from my first submission at SDCC:

New Mutants 98- 9.6

New Mutants 98- 9.8

Uncanny X-men 266- 9.8

Amazing Spiderman 300- 9.6

Amazing Spiderman 300- 9.8

Incredible Hulk 340- 9.6

Incredible Hulk 340- 9.8

X-Factor 1- 9.4

And I thought my copy of X-Factor would get the highest grade!

I have delved into the Modern age world a little, but may work my way back into the silver age. There are just way too many issues/variants/prints of comics for me to keep up with. As of now my Modern addiction is to Adventure Time comics thanks to my daughter!

See more journals by ktabar

There's nothing like jumping back into the hobby and you did great on your submissions. One thing to keep in mind - you can get a lot of copper age books already graded on Ebay for less than you would pay to have them graded and shipped back (or close to it), and you already know the grade. Unless you love the hunt and anticipation of waiting to see what the grades will be (lol). Anyways, WTTB and good luck with the hunt.

WB to comics! Same deal with me. I started seriously collecting 2 years ago having stopped when I was 14. (I'm 33).

I also started with some key coppers I wanted as a kid then realized I made a lot more money and got all my "If I were rich" dream books from a kid. Now I'm all over the map...

WB to comics! Same deal with me. I started seriously collecting 2 years ago having stopped when I was 14. (I'm 33).

I also started with some key coppers I wanted as a kid then realized I made a lot more money and got all my "If I were rich" dream books from a kid. Now I'm all over the map...

lol this sounds just like me! It was fairly easy to acquire my late 80's/early 90's collection. But all the keys I submitted to CGC were from Ebay and took some work on my part; I wasn't totally satisfied with some of my purchases so I ended up with multiple copies. I really do enjoy the hunt tho!

Let me add Uncanny X-force to my list of Moderns I also enjoy collecting!

There's nothing like jumping back into the hobby and you did great on your submissions. One thing to keep in mind - you can get a lot of copper age books already graded on Ebay for less than you would pay to have them graded and shipped back (or close to it), and you already know the grade. Unless you love the hunt and anticipation of waiting to see what the grades will be (lol). Anyways, WTTB and good luck with the hunt.

Ive purchased a couple CGC graded comics on Ebay. But yep, the hunt and anticipation is just way more satisfying!

I found jumping all over the mag (so to speak) was not as satisfying as collecting one thing in particular. Although I like to complete a set that is not the way I collect. From some reason I like getting .5 graded copies. I have two of them from the Amazing Spider-Man and keep my eye out for them in this condition. I hope your addiction doesn't control you.

Tnerb

Great books, and welcome back! So how was the SDCC? I haven't been in a couple years, but I've been several times in the past. My family and I always have a blast. This year was the first time we made it to WonderCon (since it was in Anaheim which is close to home) and we had a GREAT time (especially with Disneyland next door). How did the SDCC compare with WonderCon this year? We LOVED WonderCon and are thinking of making the trek to San Francisco next year.

sig.jpg

Great books, and welcome back! So how was the SDCC? I haven't been in a couple years, but I've been several times in the past. My family and I always have a blast. This year was the first time we made it to WonderCon (since it was in Anaheim which is close to home) and we had a GREAT time (especially with Disneyland next door). How did the SDCC compare with WonderCon this year? We LOVED WonderCon and are thinking of making the trek to San Francisco next year.

sig.jpg

Wondercon was more than I expected and was a great tune up for SDCC. Im actually hoping its back in Anaheim so we can go again! But if its back up in the Bay, that should be fun too. SDCC was fun and quite overwhelming, especially for the kids. Comparing the 2, SDCC was Wondercon X100 lol.

Welcome back! I came back from a 12-year hiatus in 2008, and I'm enjoying being a collector again. Congrats on finding your Copper Age books, those are fun to track down, and for most - they are a little more reasonably priced than they were in the 90's!