• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Toy Hunter" on the Travel Channel

32 posts in this topic

Watched the first couple episodes (pilot) couple weeks back. Was interesting seeing the people he met which incuded designers of the toys themselves and such. Ill be watching this series for sure. Wonder what Joe people he will come across.

Watched the first couple episodes (pilot) couple weeks back. Was interesting seeing the people he met which incuded designers of the toys themselves and such. Ill be watching this series for sure. Wonder what Joe people he will come across.

That would be cool if he found some 95 Battle Corps stuff. As a MASK fan, I would love for him to track down Thunderball or Ramp-up. I know there is a loose complete Ramp-up out there, I'd love for him to find the owner of it.

I'll also be watching this.

The pilot is actually now on Youtube.It was shown i think back in February

Ive watched it and this guy has taken what little dignity left there is in "reality tv"

and put a stick of dynamite in it unfortunately.

You guys think Rick Harrison is bad ?

Wait till you get a load of this chump.

On the other hand,you have to watch at least once just for the extremely rare stuff.A whole series ?

:censored:

Lemme know your impressions after and see if you can block out words like lowballing and scumbag from your mind when viewing this.

Im not sure but i think in the second episode,he gets Honey Boo Boo to help him out with the toys.

:roflmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYy_9hjhu7U

Yeah he lowballs like any reseller lol but you take that with a grain of salt and watch it to see cool stuff, gain some knowledge and I personally a watch it to see designers of toys and such since I have been delving into the world of custom builds and scratch building.

One thing though guys, this is not; in my opinion, as immature as 'Comic Book men' (or whatever that show is called that I never watch). It is at least done with a serious overtone; thuis giving respect to the hobby and collecting field.

The problem I have with these shows; as I said before, is that they are unrealistic.

Number One: It sets the 'bar' extremely high for people who have old toys in their basement or attic. Your average used vinatge Star Wars figure is only worth a couple of bucks. People see this and think everything is worth money which create a new breed of 'pickers' who do NOT understand the market and live by what is shown on television. This complicates the marker as well.

Number Two: You cannot realistically go on a road trip buying $50 items that are worth $100. The amount of guaranteed buys would have to be huge to justify the cost. It is NOT realistic, as I know of almost no one in the business who does this UNLESS they are buying high end items as well on a consistent basis (i.e American Pickers). You CANNOT expect to specialize (being the key word here) and drive around the country only buying toys.

Number Three: How many of us know toy designers, creators, etc.? This is completely unrealistic. Unless this guy can start showing me 'regular' folks who respond to his ads and want to sell; I will be turned off to this show fairly soon.

These are my issues with this show. Other than that, the concept is great and will keep me coming back for more.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

One thing though guys, this is not; in my opinion, as immature as 'Comic Book men' (or whatever that show is called that I never watch). It is at least done with a serious overtone; thuis giving respect to the hobby and collecting field.

The problem I have with these shows; as I said before, is that they are unrealistic.

Number One: It sets the 'bar' extremely high for people who have old toys in their basement or attic. Your average used vinatge Star Wars figure is only worth a couple of bucks. People see this and think everything is worth money which create a new breed of 'pickers' who do NOT understand the market and live by what is shown on television. This complicates the marker as well.

Number Two: You cannot realistically go on a road trip buying $50 items that are worth $100. The amount of guaranteed buys would have to be huge to justify the cost. It is NOT realistic, as I know of almost no one in the business who does this UNLESS they are buying high end items as well on a consistent basis (i.e American Pickers). You CANNOT expect to specialize (being the key word here) and drive around the country only buying toys.

Number Three: How many of us know toy designers, creators, etc.? This is completely unrealistic. Unless this guy can start showing me 'regular' folks who respond to his ads and want to sell; I will be turned off to this show fairly soon.

These are my issues with this show. Other than that, the concept is great and will keep me coming back for more.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I agree. His $3000 road trip budget was really not much of a budget IMO. Not considering the work and time invested. Of course, just like most of us he probably loves it, so the work and time are not much of a factor.

It does seem like they may have blown their whole wad in the pilot episode. As mentioned above, it's going to be much more difficult to find great stuff from regular people. How many times are they going to find people that worked for Kenner and stock piled toys in their garages, or get to visit to the Tomart offices? They could have done a whole episode at Tomart's.

Ive watched it and this guy has taken what little dignity left there is in "reality tv"

On the other hand,you have to watch at least once just for the extremely rare stuff.A whole series ?

Lemme know your impressions after and see if you can block out words like lowballing and scumbag from your mind when viewing this.

Im not sure but i think in the second episode,he gets Honey Boo Boo to help him out with the toys.

I didn't get the impression of a "low-balling scumbag" at all. He is a business man looking to profit.

I didn't get the impression of a "low-balling scumbag" at all. He is a business man looking to profit.

Hi there FullHulkSmash,

Your lack of smileys in your post lead me to believe you are being serious.

Really ?

I assume youve read my long rant analysis in the other thread ?

Never once did you feel any discrepancy between this is the holiest of grails and lemme give you 20 bucks for it ?

Never once did you perceive this to be a sham in terms of offering so little for toys that have a lengendary status tag attached to them ?

Here,ill let you read Jordan's first post way back in January in a forum when he wanted to attract an audience for the show.

Youll notice hes probably the only human being on Earth that tells people nothing is staged in the show.

Its all real.

This leaves us two choices.

1.Hes very naive and has never noticed that all "reality shows" are staged.

2.Hes lying through his teeth.

Either of those is a bad answer.

The businessman to profit ratio is beyond even what Stretch Armstrong could withstand.

Its post number 18 on the page.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/movies-dvd-television/189261-toy-hunters-new-travel-channel-show-2.html

let me provide another angle to the whole 'Boba Fett' prototype issue.

When he was going to buy this item from the original seller he did say (in his defense) that he would probably sell this for $10,000 and net 20% profit on the 'brokerage' of the item. It is possible that he just realized he could ask an insane amount for it (especially based on who the buyer ultimately was) and attempt to get it.

Every 'picker' or dealer (whatever term you are comfortable with; but know there is a difference between the two), can generally only pay between 40-50% of an item's value. This number drops to around 35-40% if you are driving around the countryside looking for items. That being said, for much more uncommon items like this; a dealer (or 'picker') can pay a little more because you already know you will definately have a buyer; and more importantly, you can sell it very quickly. This has to factor into the equation as well.

Therefore, view it as you will. I do know one thing...he isn't going to have a show soon if he continues to drive around the country with a whole $3,000 budget; paying $50 for an item he is going to sell for $100. This is naive to expect anyone to believe that.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Like all the "reality shows", Toy Hunter has it's "staged" moments.

The person who bought the Bobba Fett prototype in the pilot show at NYCC was none other than TapOut co-founder "Punk ". He saw the item off camera and came back 4 hours later to make the deal. On the show, they made it look like he walked up and made the deal in 2 minutes.

The sale however was legitimate. Punk is a well known collector.

I don't collect toys but I do find the show entertaining.

Cheers!

N.

Like many full time comic book dealers, he tours the country. He buys and sells at each show just like any other vendor.

While his $3,000 budget was for buying new items, he clearly had an existing stockpile of inventory for sale at NYCC.

I think his show will focus on different locations on his tour (hence the travel channel). If Comic Book Men can have a show, (that got a second season), why shouldn't this guy?

Cheers!

N.

Again,everybody enjoys the actual idea for the show.

Toys.

Nostalgia factor is very high and doesnt require a team of rocket scientists

to provide any psych tricks to bring back the audience.

What is needed is that the host keeps reading many forums and truly saying

he will try to adjust his way of doing business with people.

Little less mercantile,more true blue collector.

So far,it feels like we could use the Road runner-Coyote latin equivalent

to identify him.

Jordan Hembrough

Snivelus suckus. lol

Like all the "reality shows", Toy Hunter has it's "staged" moments.

The person who bought the Bobba Fett prototype in the pilot show at NYCC was none other than TapOut co-founder "Punk ". He saw the item off camera and came back 4 hours later to make the deal. On the show, they made it look like he walked up and made the deal in 2 minutes.

The sale however was legitimate. Punk is a well known collector.

I don't collect toys but I do find the show entertaining.

Cheers!

N.

It's a cool piece, and the guy who bought it genuinely looked stoked to come into one, but if he really paid 17K, he overpaid. I can't believe anyone would pay that kind of amount of something being sold in a baggie. I know it sounds like I'm being nit-picky, but good luck trying to resell it for that amount, especially without it being certified with COA.