• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

I weighted the fact that Richard runs one of the finest shops in the country in one of the largest cities. Plus he does an extensive show circuit.

As a frequent visitor of the shop (sometimes a few times a week) on Westheimer, I'm in agreement on this all the way, and not only does Richard make the shop great, but I give the rest of the staff high marks, too. I know my collection has improved greatly, as well.

now with the new state of the art I pad mobile catalog which can be used on or off line...they have done it again...leader all the way

Thanks Mitch...and yes, our I-Pad mobile will be up and running shortly (thumbs u

I'm gunning for you.

Bring it.

The bigger they are...

...the higher they rank on Foolkiller's list.

You should have been #1 then right?

Evans might be the tallest, but he's not the biggest. Ronnie Murray is a pretty big dude.

Considering that your interaction with me is limited to one book that was misplaced (involving two other parties as well), it's disheartening to hear that you'd label me as what's wrong with this hobby. We all made good on the situation, and I'm sorry you didn't get the response from me that you wanted. I do put a huge amount of effort into making sure everyone I do business with is happy. So if you want to PM me, or post something here, I'll respond to it. Maybe we can bury the hatchet.

Matt

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about since you never EVER bothered to respond to me so how I was "made good" is beyond me???

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update. I don't have the book still and there hasn't been an opportunity to replace it as another hasnt come up for sale in the last year. If "mine"( I know none of you consider it mine since I was forced to take a refund) was ever found it certainly was never offered to me.

Everyone who knows me here in the slightest knows how much my books and especially my Pedigree Avengers means to me so yes I am and have taken everything that happened to strongly. To my knowledge though, for all intents and purposes nothing has been done to find that book and get it to me. These aren't books I buy and flip. These are books I share with my son to hopefully make sure he loves this hobby as much as I do when he grows up and helps to keep it alive and strong. The fact that now 19 months after my Measly $170 book was misplaced no one has cared enough to make a decent effort to Find it for me is VERY disturbing to me.

I would love to bury the hatchet with you and everyone involved. This whole freaking thing has made me enemies with the one person I respected most on here. So tell me, in the 8 months from December 2010 to July 2011 when I was forced to accept a refund on the book, what exactly did you do and how much time did you spend tryig to find this book that I made VERY clear to you meant a hell of a lot more to me than It's value?

:popcorn:

Considering that your interaction with me is limited to one book that was misplaced (involving two other parties as well), it's disheartening to hear that you'd label me as what's wrong with this hobby. We all made good on the situation, and I'm sorry you didn't get the response from me that you wanted. I do put a huge amount of effort into making sure everyone I do business with is happy. So if you want to PM me, or post something here, I'll respond to it. Maybe we can bury the hatchet.

Matt

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about since you never EVER bothered to respond to me so how I was "made good" is beyond me???

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update. I don't have the book still and there hasn't been an opportunity to replace it as another hasnt come up for sale in the last year. If "mine"( I know none of you consider it mine since I was forced to take a refund) was ever found it certainly was never offered to me.

Everyone who knows me here in the slightest knows how much my books and especially my Pedigree Avengers means to me so yes I am and have taken everything that happened to strongly. To my knowledge though, for all intents and purposes nothing has been done to find that book and get it to me. These aren't books I buy and flip. These are books I share with my son to hopefully make sure he loves this hobby as much as I do when he grows up and helps to keep it alive and strong. The fact that now 19 months after my Measly $170 book was misplaced no one has cared enough to make a decent effort to Find it for me is VERY disturbing to me.

I would love to bury the hatchet with you and everyone involved. This whole freaking thing has made me enemies with the one person I respected most on here. So tell me, in the 8 months from December 2010 to July 2011 when I was forced to accept a refund on the book, what exactly did you do and how much time did you spend tryig to find this book that I made VERY clear to you meant a hell of a lot more to me than It's value?

I'm going off of an old memory here, but I think I have the details right. The book was mailed to WWC by accident by Jeff, along with a large group of other books that we had bought. Some of those books were sent to Classics Inc., but it was never clear whether that book was sent as well. So we searched all through the Classics office and the WWC office, but never found it. Compared to the enormous inventory at WWC, Classics carries a much smaller number of books, and everything is stickered, so I was able to check the inventory there fairly quickly. Our guess was that it was still at WWC. But it never turned up. Still to this day. It must be somewhere, and maybe one day we will find it (and if we do, you'll be the first person we call).

I understand how frustrating it is to lose a book that you feel is irreplaceable, and all three of us are sorry that it happened to you. Hopefully you can chalk it up as an honest mistake and not take it personally. I certainly don't hold any grudge against you for your negative posts that have targeted me about this situation.

Well, IF that is actually the case i will apologize. however, up until this point, i have heard nothing what soever from you. You never replied to the 5 or so emails i sent and the only words i ever heard from you was a post last year saying "thats not many emails for 9 months".

The thing i didnt understand then and still to this day cant understand for the life of me is this:

The book was mistakenly sent to WWC with a batch of apparently 1000 slabs. In the 2 days it took to figure out the mistake and contact them, somehow the book was deemed so special it was cherry picked out of this HUGE shipment(despite actually being mine and only mistakenly sent there) cracked and sent to you to be pressed up hopefully to a 9.8. I was told to wait for it to come back from CGC. Somegow, this all happened in TWO days??? ???

Then, this book that was immediately cherry picked out to be CPR'd just disappears off the face off the Earth. Dont get me wrong, im not accusing anyone of anything nefarious. I believe the book is lost somewhere at your place or WWC. My problem is and always has been that as far as i've seen and been told, little to no effort has been put into finding it. I know it isnt a expensive book but it is VERY important to me and has pretty much proved irreplaceable to this point unless i wanted to drop much, MUCH more on Schmells copy in the last HA auction which i was unwilling to do since in my mind i already bought the dang book for a fraction of that.

I know the book isnt exactly rare but it also isnt a ASM300 where there are thousands of them laying around. I just dont understand why its proven so freaking hard to find despite the fact that it was immediately cherry picked for a CPR. Trust me, i know im the A-hole here but i really dont care about that. I wanted that book, i paid for that book(yes, i did eventually take a refund when given no other option) but yet almost two years later , i dont have it.

Its a book that means a LOT to me, enough that i was willing to burn bridges with people on here i never imagined i would burn bridges with. Its a book i want VERY badly and up until today, despite numerous attempts, i had never heard a word from you hence my comments (thumbs u

Jason, the guy apologized. You got your money back. It's just a comic book.

If you are losing friends over things like this it's time to reevaluate the importance of things in this life.

2c

If you are losing friends over things like this it's time to reevaluate the importance of things in this life.

2c

Sufunk, what is best in life?

To burn your bridges, see comic retailers driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the CGC boards.

;)

I would put Sparkle City Comics at the top of my dealer ranking! They have been offering some great books in their weekly no reserve auctions and they ship extremely fast, often by Next Day Express Mail! I met Brian for the first time at San Diego Comic Con this year. EJR (thumbs u

I once won a book on eBay from Sparklecity. I went to pay for it and right after I clicked "submit" from my paypal account, a guy was tapping my shoulder asking me to sign here for my package.

True story.

Foolkiller's 2012 Dealer Rankings

Each year, I go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in this year's rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a number of folks. I liked last year's format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

4) Activity in the Marketplace

5) Quality of the website

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

9) Acquisition of New Material (freshness of inventory)

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Harley Yee (Harley Yee Rare Comics)

Dave Kapelka (North Coast Nostalgia)

Richard Evans (Bedrock City)

Ben Lichtenstein (Zapp Comics)

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Dan Cusimano (Flying Donut Trading Company)

Bob Storms (Highgradecomics)

Greg Reece (Greg Reece's Rare Comics)

Metropolis (Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo)

Heritage (Barry Sandoval, Lon Allen, Ed Jaster and Steve Borock)

Worldwide (Steve Ritter and Matt Nelson)

Comiclink (Josh Nathanson)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Dave Reynolds (Dave's American Comics)

Dale Roberts (Dale Robert's Comics)

Jamie Graham (Graham Crackers)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Jeff Delaney (Detective27.com)

Jamie Newbold (SoCal Comics)

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Jeff Weaver (Victory Comics)

Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics)

Big Ben's

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics and Collectibles)

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Phil Schlaefer (Comic Collector Shop)

Neat Stuff Collectibles (Brian Schutzer)

Tomorrow's Treasures (Richie Muchin)

Jim Payette (Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics)

Shelton Drum (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Gary Platt (Adventure Planet)

Paradise Comics (Peter Dixon)

Vintage Comics (Roy Delic)

Comicana Direct (Nick Beckett)

Terry O'Neill (Terry's Comics)

All Select Comics (Mike Miles)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

Doug Sulipa (Doug's Comic World)

Robert Rogovin (Four Color Comics)

Greg Eide (Eide's Entertainment)

Marnin Rosenberg (Collector's Assemble)

Ron Pusell (Redbeard's Book Den)

Mile High Comics (Chuck Rozanski)

Lone Star Comics (Buddy Saunders)

Jef Hinds

Tony Starks (Comics in a Flash)

Steve Lauterbach (toychef on ebay)

Andrew Critella (GA Collectibles)

Dennis Keum (Fantasy Comics)

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Doug Schmell (Pedigreecomics)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality Comix)

House of Comics

John Hauser

David T. Alexander (DTA Collectibles)

Motor City Comics (Mike Goldman)

Gary Dolgoff (Gary Dolgoff's Comics)

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

John Haines (John Haines Rare Comics)

Silver Age Comics (Gus Poulakas)

John Veryzl (Comic Heaven)

Steve Geppi (Diamond International Galleries)

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bechara Maalouf (Investment Collectibles)

Phil Bellmore (Vermont Comics)

Bill Ponseti

David Anderson (the Dentist, collector)

Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England)

Ed Robertson (Ed Robertson's Comics)

Rick Whitelock (New Force Comics)

The Bookery (Fairborn, Ohio)

Nelson Dodds

Sparkle City (Brian Schutzer)

Hon. mentions to the following dealers:

Hon. mentions: Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Greg Reece, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Roy Delic, Ted VanLiew, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Comicana Direct and Dave Reynolds

I am going to do a test by buying from each and everyone of these dealers in the next year. The books will be low priced. The dealers who show me good service will be the ones I look at first when I decide to spend the big bucks.

I will post the results sometime in the summer of 2013.

;)

I am little known in these parts, but I feel the need to comment. I think the list is wonderful, but it must be heavily weighed by internet presence, collection purchasing and inventory etc as customer service and price wouldn't support some of your top dealers. I typically pop up and drop a few hunder to a few K on books I want (need) for my collection. I have done this with New Force, Dale Roberts, Greg Reece (who deserves to be on this list), Bob Storms, Jamie Graham etc. and they are all TOP NOTCH. I don't care if I get a big toothy grin and a back rub, but I appreciate a nice discussion before a big purchase. I purchase from Sparkle City online routinely and find them to be amazing as well.

Thats the postives.

Through the few cons I go to, I found Metropolis to be difficult to deal with. Unfriendly, condescending, overpriced and overgraded mixed with a general unwillingness to negotiate... in my mind, these should exclude them from this kind of positive top 10 list.. I try not to be petty, but after several attempts with the same general negative experience they have successfully lost my business and my disposable income shall go elsewhere. If I was reading this list and had never dealt with them before, blindly thinking that they must be #1 for a reason, I would be in for a real treat if I sent their stuff straight to CGC. Not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents and a friendly warning to anyone buying raw books.

Matt

I'm going off of an old memory here, but I think I have the details right. The book was mailed to WWC by accident by Jeff, along with a large group of other books that we had bought. Some of those books were sent to Classics Inc., but it was never clear whether that book was sent as well. So we searched all through the Classics office and the WWC office, but never found it. Compared to the enormous inventory at WWC, Classics carries a much smaller number of books, and everything is stickered, so I was able to check the inventory there fairly quickly. Our guess was that it was still at WWC. But it never turned up. Still to this day. It must be somewhere, and maybe one day we will find it (and if we do, you'll be the first person we call).

I understand how frustrating it is to lose a book that you feel is irreplaceable, and all three of us are sorry that it happened to you. Hopefully you can chalk it up as an honest mistake and not take it personally. I certainly don't hold any grudge against you for your negative posts that have targeted me about this situation.

Well, IF that is actually the case i will apologize. however, up until this point, i have heard nothing what soever from you. You never replied to the 5 or so emails i sent and the only words i ever heard from you was a post last year saying "thats not many emails for 9 months".

The thing i didnt understand then and still to this day cant understand for the life of me is this:

The book was mistakenly sent to WWC with a batch of apparently 1000 slabs. In the 2 days it took to figure out the mistake and contact them, somehow the book was deemed so special it was cherry picked out of this HUGE shipment(despite actually being mine and only mistakenly sent there) cracked and sent to you to be pressed up hopefully to a 9.8. I was told to wait for it to come back from CGC. Somegow, this all happened in TWO days??? ???

Then, this book that was immediately cherry picked out to be CPR'd just disappears off the face off the Earth. Dont get me wrong, im not accusing anyone of anything nefarious. I believe the book is lost somewhere at your place or WWC. My problem is and always has been that as far as i've seen and been told, little to no effort has been put into finding it. I know it isnt a expensive book but it is VERY important to me and has pretty much proved irreplaceable to this point unless i wanted to drop much, MUCH more on Schmells copy in the last HA auction which i was unwilling to do since in my mind i already bought the dang book for a fraction of that.

I know the book isnt exactly rare but it also isnt a ASM300 where there are thousands of them laying around. I just dont understand why its proven so freaking hard to find despite the fact that it was immediately cherry picked for a CPR. Trust me, i know im the A-hole here but i really dont care about that. I wanted that book, i paid for that book(yes, i did eventually take a refund when given no other option) but yet almost two years later , i dont have it.

Its a book that means a LOT to me, enough that i was willing to burn bridges with people on here i never imagined i would burn bridges with. Its a book i want VERY badly and up until today, despite numerous attempts, i had never heard a word from you hence my comments (thumbs u

2c

True but unfortunately, it took 19 months to get an apology.

When this issue came up last year, i said the same thing. A few months later i sent Matt an email apologizing profusely for the things i said in anger and BEGGING for some help locating this particular lost book for me. BEGGING!

To this day, that email has gone ignored and unanswered which is a BIG part of why i make the comments i have.

Matt

2c

True but unfortunately, it took 19 months to get an apology.

When this issue came up last year, i said the same thing. A few months later i sent Matt an email apologizing profusely for the things i said in anger and BEGGING for some help locating this particular lost book for me. BEGGING!

To this day, that email has gone ignored and unanswered which is a BIG part of why i make the comments i have.

:facepalm::facepalm: when one is not enough!

Regardless of "who right, who wrong"... you gotta admire sufunk's passion for the hobby.

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby... it's human nature to "one up" I suppose.

It's nice to know that someone is actually fighting TO OWN a book and collecting it for what it was produced for in the first place... ENJOYMENT.

Carry on...

I put myself in the list of people who buys for my collection of runs. I understand passion for the hobby. I don't jump at the next flip or score to get money for my books.

Let's put things in perspective here. A book was lost and a refund was issued. Now a pubic apology was posted. What more (besides delivering the book itself to be in Jason's hands) can Matt do?

Jason, you should learn to accept apologies when they are given (even if they are late). I offered mine twice and you still have me on ignore (even though you read/respond to my posts and post in my threads).

Life is too short to get this worked up over comic books. ;)

Sure I've been worked up but my word...if someone apologizes publicly...why go on and on about it?

I understand if the person continues to be a jerk. But Matt apologized. Isn't that a positive ending?

End of my rant.

Regardless of "who right, who wrong"... you gotta admire sufunk's passion for the hobby.

This is what I started with sir.

One thing that amazes the sheeet out of me about the whole thing is that the seller in question couldn't answer a email over how ever many months... but can respond here within two posts.

All that tells me is that an individual email from a passionate customer isn't important... but a public lashing that could result in possible lost revenue, is.

I don't know Matt at all... and chances are he could be God's brother for all I know and the nicest sob around... all I do know is if I don't answer a PM on the boards within a day, I'm labeled a bazterd, which I freely admit I am. Hell I was almost shot over having a small scanner area :grin:

Lets just go on record and say that Matt should have responded to any email from any paying customer... and that sufunk let bygones be what they are and bide his time and hope that Matt stands by his word to get him the book if its ever found and at the price he originally paid.