• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

Brian, excellent report/list. It is obvious you put a lot of consideration into it and the list doesn't have a biased feel to it at all. Something I would like to see from these dealers is more of a Board presence. Perhaps it should even be considered in your criteria. I'm not just talking about sales threads but communication. Another criteria to consider is reporting to GPA. Not reporting to GPA hurts the marketplace. Disclaimer: This is not a statement toward Clink, many dealers do not report to GPA.

Thanks for doing this every year, it is appreciated ! :golfclap:

This is an excellent point. For next year's list I think reporting to GPA should definitely be a criteria.

Foolkiller's 2012 Dealer Rankings

Each year, I go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in this year's rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a number of folks. I liked last year's format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

4) Activity in the Marketplace

5) Quality of the website

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

9) Acquisition of New Material (freshness of inventory)

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Harley Yee (Harley Yee Rare Comics)

Dave Kapelka (North Coast Nostalgia)

Richard Evans (Bedrock City)

Ben Lichtenstein (Zapp Comics)

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Dan Cusimano (Flying Donut Trading Company)

Bob Storms (Highgradecomics)

Greg Reece (Greg Reece's Rare Comics)

Metropolis (Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo)

Heritage (Barry Sandoval, Lon Allen, Ed Jaster and Steve Borock)

Worldwide (Steve Ritter and Matt Nelson)

Comiclink (Josh Nathanson)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Dave Reynolds (Dave's American Comics)

Dale Roberts (Dale Robert's Comics)

Jamie Graham (Graham Crackers)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Jeff Delaney (Detective27.com)

Jamie Newbold (SoCal Comics)

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Jeff Weaver (Victory Comics)

Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics)

Big Ben's

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics and Collectibles)

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Phil Schlaefer (Comic Collector Shop)

Neat Stuff Collectibles (Brian Schutzer)

Tomorrow's Treasures (Richie Muchin)

Jim Payette (Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics)

Shelton Drum (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Gary Platt (Adventure Planet)

Paradise Comics (Peter Dixon)

Vintage Comics (Roy Delic)

Comicana Direct (Nick Beckett)

Terry O'Neill (Terry's Comics)

All Select Comics (Mike Miles)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

Doug Sulipa (Doug's Comic World)

Robert Rogovin (Four Color Comics)

Greg Eide (Eide's Entertainment)

Marnin Rosenberg (Collector's Assemble)

Ron Pusell (Redbeard's Book Den)

Mile High Comics (Chuck Rozanski)

Lone Star Comics (Buddy Saunders)

Jef Hinds

Tony Starks (Comics in a Flash)

Steve Lauterbach (toychef on ebay)

Andrew Critella (GA Collectibles)

Dennis Keum (Fantasy Comics)

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Doug Schmell (Pedigreecomics)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality Comix)

House of Comics

John Hauser

David T. Alexander (DTA Collectibles)

Motor City Comics (Mike Goldman)

Gary Dolgoff (Gary Dolgoff's Comics)

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

John Haines (John Haines Rare Comics)

Silver Age Comics (Gus Poulakas)

John Veryzl (Comic Heaven)

Steve Geppi (Diamond International Galleries)

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bechara Maalouf (Investment Collectibles)

Phil Bellmore (Vermont Comics)

Bill Ponseti

David Anderson (the Dentist, collector)

Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England)

Ed Robertson (Ed Robertson's Comics)

Rick Whitelock (New Force Comics)

The Bookery (Fairborn, Ohio)

Nelson Dodds

Sparkle City (Brian Schutzer)

Hon. mentions to the following dealers:

Hon. mentions: Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Greg Reece, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Roy Delic, Ted VanLiew, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Comicana Direct and Dave Reynolds

I am going to do a test by buying from each and everyone of these dealers in the next year. The books will be low priced. The dealers who show me good service will be the ones I look at first when I decide to spend the big bucks.

I will post the results sometime in the summer of 2013.

;)

I'd suggest avoiding this one:

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

... and Steve Geppi if you happen to be selling original Archie art.

lol

"Bob, Matt, Roy and countless others just dropped dead two booths over, but some bum just bought in a Action 1 off the street and only wants $500 for it... Would I...?"

Actually, I'd be assuming a catastophic carbon monoxide leak and be diving toward the floor. You are partially right, as in this scenario I might find myself crawling over bodies to get to the exit... (shrug)

My understanding is that is not the case. I could be wrong but I believe

Sufunk already had his refund. It was an email he sent after posting negative things on here about the transaction that apologized for said actions and that email went ignored.

I can only go by what sufunk is claiming in this thread, which was this:

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update.

True. I don't have the post but from what I recall (if i'm wrong someone will correct me)...

They offered a refund when the book went missing and Jason opted to have them keep looking for the book instead and finally took the refund after months of it not turning up and apparent poor communications.

Bottom line is Jason had every right to be upset about the missing book. I would have been also. Once a refund is issued and an apology was made... I feel the ongoing posts towards Matt and ignoring his apology is over the top drama.

Maybe he is waiting a reasonable amount of time to see if the apology is retracted. smiley-whack-off.gif

Sufunk already had his refund. It was an email he sent after posting negative things on here about the transaction that apologized for said actions and that email went ignored.

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update.

True. I don't have the post but from what I recall (if i'm wrong someone will correct me)...

They offered a refund when the book went missing and Jason opted to have them keep looking for the book instead and finally took the refund after months of it not turning up and apparent poor communications.

Bottom line is Jason had every right to be upset about the missing book. I would have been also. Once a refund is issued and an apology was made... I feel the ongoing posts towards Matt and ignoring his apology is over the top drama.

Maybe he is waiting a reasonable amount of time to see if the apology is retracted. smiley-whack-off.gif

lol

Jokes aside, I'm sure there are dealers and collectors as you describe... maybe many of them... but still not as many as you are assuming.

Being a comic book dealer is my occupation. It's no diffderent than anybody's occupation. Sure, we know there are office workers who would "walk over bodies" to get a promotion, but most people probably wouldn't.

I do my job to the best of my abilities, and in the fairest and most ethical way possible. Beyond that, it's up to others whether they choose to buy or sell to me. There isn't a comic book in the world worth sacrificing one's self respect to obtain (or any other collectible for that matter... whether it's a Tamerlane signed by Poe, or a complete set of the original art to Action #1).

Most people want too much for their stuff... especially in the wake of shows like Pawn Stars and others. But some want too little. For the latter, I often pay more... sometimes far more... than what they are asking. In my mind I pretend everyone is an expert, and the deal is being made between two people on a level playing field. I will always pull aside key books and let them know they have an important book that's more valuable than the others. This isn't special or commendable... it's just the way a professional business is run. I'm assuming there are a number of other true professionals out there as well.

I don't personally collect, so have no temptation to scramble for a "grail" for my own collection. And if I wanted to make lots of money, I would have done something other than be a collectibles dealer (I turned down opportunities that clearly would have made me much more income than does this).

As for an Action #1 for $500... (yes... it's an extreme example for humorous effect)... but... no way. (A) It almost certainly is stolen (B) it would have to come with serious provenance, and © assuming he had such proof of ownership, I would explain what the probable retail value is, what I could pay him for it, and he would, armed with this information, decide to sell it or not sell it. But I wouldn't hyperventilate over it either way (20 years ago, yes... but not now).

Now... walking over bodies to meet, say, Carla Gugino... that's an entirely different scenario, and fully justifiable.

Jokes aside, I'm sure there are dealers and collectors as you describe... maybe many of them... but still not as many as you are assuming.

Being a comic book dealer is my occupation. It's no diffderent than anybody's occupation. Sure, we know there are office workers who would "walk over bodies" to get a promotion, but most people probably wouldn't.

I do my job to the best of my abilities, and in the fairest and most ethical way possible. Beyond that, it's up to others whether they choose to buy or sell to me. There isn't a comic book in the world worth sacrificing one's self respect to obtain (or any other collectible for that matter... whether it's a Tamerlane signed by Poe, or a complete set of the original art to Action #1).

Most people want too much for their stuff... especially in the wake of shows like Pawn Stars and others. But some want too little. For the latter, I often pay more... sometimes far more... than what they are asking. In my mind I pretend everyone is an expert, and the deal is being made between two people on a level playing field. I will always pull aside key books and let them know they have an important book that's more valuable than the others. This isn't special or commendable... it's just the way a professional business is run. I'm assuming there are a number of other true professionals out there as well.

I don't personally collect, so have no temptation to scramble for a "grail" for my own collection. And if I wanted to make lots of money, I would have done something other than be a collectibles dealer (I turned down opportunities that clearly would have made me much more income than does this).

As for an Action #1 for $500... (yes... it's an extreme example for humorous effect)... but... no way. (A) It almost certainly is stolen (B) it would have to come with serious provenance, and © assuming he had such proof of ownership, I would explain what the probable retail value is, what I could pay him for it, and he would, armed with this information, decide to sell it or not sell it. But I wouldn't hyperventilate over it either way (20 years ago, yes... but not now).

Great post.

Now... walking over bodies to meet, say, Carla Gugino... that's an entirely different scenario, and fully justifiable.

Even better post. :applause:

Regardless of "who right, who wrong"... you gotta admire sufunk's passion for the hobby.

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby... it's human nature to "one up" I suppose.

It's nice to know that someone is actually fighting TO OWN a book and collecting it for what it was produced for in the first place... ENJOYMENT.

Carry on...

Well, technically it was produced to be read...which it wouldn't be ;)

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby...

You couldn't be more wrong.

tim is 1000% correct.

there are many of us who are dealers at shows or conventions that are past that stage. maybe because we are older and mature or maybe we are just plain dumb. but i'm happy being dumb then! i sleep well at night and i can go to a con and not worry about who maybe looking for me to cut me a new arsehole!

we make a comfortable living and we look at this hobby as a business and we look in the longer term. one of the reasons we at Graham Crackers Comics have NINE stores and are celebrating 30 years in the retail comic shop biz is because we look at every customer in terms of a relationship/commitment. we treat them well and they,in turn do the same.

on the financial side- you,as a business person, can't look at customers for what they spend today but what they will over the long term. whether it is 5 years,10 or 15. we have many customers that started with me in 1982!! and we like to treat our customers well and that is one secret to longevity in this business.

and i will not kill to get the next deal.and i know many of my fellow dealers/retailers who agree with me. i like to sleep at night and i may wish i had gotten the Big Deal,but i won't kill to get it. and i won't deliberately undercut, back stab or ruin any business relationships i have over the pursuit of the almighty comic!

of course those of us who have stores and do shows have a dual set of income that allows us some measure of freedom that say,someone who is only a con-dealer,may not. also we may have some better luck picking up new inventory.

so long story short, many of us dealers

I only retracted my apology Fingh because Sufunk retracted his acceptance. He put me on ignore anyway. I even sent him an email apology which has remained ignored. Kind of like the email apology he sent to Matt Nelson that went ignored.

I retract my apology to Roy who has restricted his apology to Sean who redacted his apology to RMA who re-enacted his apology to SFUNK who slandered his apology to Matt who is absolved of his apology to me.

Also, I am a grown man. I promise.

And Richard returned my phone call, so I accept his apology and bump him in the rankings fourteen spots. He can now pass go.

I hereby retract the apology I made to someone after I cut them off on the Northen State Parkway the other day. The more I think about it - they were wrong.