• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay feedback extortion

69 posts in this topic

"Continue to insult me and I will continue to report you to ebay. I have every right to keep feedback private. I have a good repuation I choose not to be part of that system and theres no rule saying i cant bid on your items if its private."

my favorite part is where he says he has a good reputation so thats why he doesn't use feedback on ebay... also, he's suggesting that me stating that all people who use private feedback are scammers, is an insult! But they are!

It seems that most times when a dubious eBay seller is outed on these boards, especially selling high dollar books, they do have their feedback set to private. It is a good way to thwart the boardie detectives. I also don't think that a buyer or seller with private feedback is always proof positive that they are shady. You can catch more bees with honey.

Oh,oh,oh.

No.

Every person who hides there feedback for potential sellers is a scam artist.

You can not sell on ebay and have the private feedback setting, which just shows you that almost every person who uses private feedback is doing it so people don't see any feedback that had already been left for them - making them scammers.

lol

(thumbs u

I disagree... I have open feedback but there are certain items that I have sold that I am well aware that my customer wishes to have their identity kept private. For certain listings I make the auction itself private so that the name may appear in my feedback but what they won will not.

I don't doubt for a second that your private transactions are100% fair and square. But I - like many people - just will not bid on anything where the auction is set to private. So you might be leaving $$ on the table when you do the occasional private listing.

Seems to me there are easier and simpler ways to accomplish your goal. A few ideas: 1) Just agree beforehand to no feedback 2) If you know the customer wants their ID kept secret you probably know the customer well enough - and they you - to trust each other and do the sale off eBay. Your customer can always pay via Paypal with a credit card as the funding source. Just as much protection for them via Paypal and the bank as they would get buying it on eBay. 3) Your buyer can create an another eBay ID just for such purchases.

Just thoughts.

I disagree... I have open feedback but there are certain items that I have sold that I am well aware that my customer wishes to have their identity kept private. For certain listings I make the auction itself private so that the name may appear in my feedback but what they won will not.

I don't doubt for a second that your private transactions are100% fair and square. But I - like many people - just will not bid on anything where the auction is set to private. So you might be leaving $$ on the table when you do the occasional private listing.

Seems to me there are easier and simpler ways to accomplish your goal. A few ideas: 1) Just agree beforehand to no feedback 2) If you know the customer wants their ID kept secret you probably know the customer well enough - and they you - to trust each other and do the sale off eBay. Your customer can always pay via Paypal with a credit card as the funding source. Just as much protection for them via Paypal and the bank as they would get buying it on eBay. 3) Your buyer can create an another eBay ID just for such purchases.

Just thoughts.

For those that just caught that... yes... funny isn't it. Going to edit that out for now.

Needless to say... those customers only bid on private listings when I sell that specific item. Everything else is open to book. However, that one listings a year is kept totally private.

So I leave feedback for a guy after I close an unpaid item case on him. "F- another ebay scum bag, bids doesn't pay."

here is the response I get in my inbox.

"Just so you know, you can't leave negative feedback for buyers and all my feedback is set to private, so no one will ever read your pithy comments. CHECK MATE!!! I WIN!!

- nan1938"

So yeah, people who set there feedback to private are scam artists and you guys should all probably block Nan1938, who is now sending me pm's comparing me to Wil Wheaton saying I look like him. which btw, I do not.

Also, I'm assuming the googling of his name and going on his facebook and than sending him follow up messages about his attractive daughter and asking for a hook up was in bad taste?

Either way, ebay is investigating now and I'm sure my hilarity will run through.