• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay feedback extortion

69 posts in this topic

"the feedback I left for the other person that did this to me didn't have it removed ... send me the item at $4."

its a slab and he lives in the US I live in Canada. So I am cancelling the transaction as he is being a .

If he is refusing to cancel the transaction and threatening negative if you don't ship for $4 then I understand.

"the feedback I left for the other person that did this to me didn't have it removed ... send me the item at $4."

its a slab and he lives in the US I live in Canada. So I am cancelling the transaction as he is being a .

If he is refusing to cancel the transaction and threatening negative if you don't ship for $4 then I understand.

And I can't see his feedback or past transactions because he has his feedback set to "private".

ebay is just turning to garbage.

I told a seller that charged me 20$ on shipping g I expected a box or I would leave him a low shipping star. He sent the item (raw book) with no bag or board in a box with no padding a 400$ comic.

I asked for a refund he refused so I negged him. eBay removed it from his profile so I called to find out why. I was told that because I requested a box and mentioned a low star rating I was extorting him. I then asked the customer service rep how it costs 20$ to ship an item 1st class in a box with no shipping supplies. I informed I'm I have done 80k in sales on eBay this ear and I know what shipping costs including supplies. To which the customer service rep replied " I understand what you meant but I can't do anything about it since its already been removed"

They did refund my purchase when I sent the item back but I was pissed to hell that the feedback was removed as this guy will just scam another buyer later on down the road.

The toughest part of a seller I always thought is how to expose yourself to make a sale. Do you block the buyer that emails you asking specifically about each corner of a book because your scan doesnt look right to them or how exactly do you pack your comics even if it says it plaing in your TOS? Or will you not put down the value of the comic you are shipping overseas and mark as a gift? Or my personal favorite lately can you ship my high dollar comic overseas 1st class? All of the above open up a seller to exposure the question is how much does the seller take?

Actually, first class REGISTERED is a wonderful way to ship a high dollar comic overseas. Check with your post office. There isn't any information about it on the USPS website. About six months ago I shipped a 6K book to the United Kingdom just this way. I think it cost about $27. Took 10 days to be delivered. But lock and key the entire way.

I told a seller that charged me 20$ on shipping g I expected a box or I would leave him a low shipping star. He sent the item (raw book) with no bag or board in a box with no padding a 400$ comic.

I asked for a refund he refused so I negged him. eBay removed it from his profile so I called to find out why. I was told that because I requested a box and mentioned a low star rating I was extorting him. I then asked the customer service rep how it costs 20$ to ship an item 1st class in a box with no shipping supplies. I informed I'm I have done 80k in sales on eBay this ear and I know what shipping costs including supplies. To which the customer service rep replied " I understand what you meant but I can't do anything about it since its already been removed"

They did refund my purchase when I sent the item back but I was pissed to hell that the feedback was removed as this guy will just scam another buyer later on down the road.

I see a common theme. Ebay feedback is unreliable.

The basic problem is that ebay tries to do with rules and procedures things that need human the human touch. But staff that can make reasonable decisions based on individual circumstances cost money.

The new feedback extortion rule - as it was stated to sellers a month or two ago - seem reasonable and fair when you read it . Sellers can't leave negative feedback - for good reason as they abused it in the past. So they took the ability of sellers to leave negative away and the balance of power shifted way to the buyers side. So a few years later ebay tries to right it with yet another new rule.

And yet once again the table tilts. It should be obvious to any reasonable person that if a seller is messing over a buyer (like overcharging shipping and not packaging properly) the buyer has a right to say "treat me better or your feedback will reflect the service received."

But ebay just has a rule and a strict rule with no discernment is easily gamed. So now ebay has created a situation where there is little incentive for buyer and seller to try to talk and work out a problem. If you suggest the service or product is not up to snuff it can be spun as feedback extortion. Better now for buyers to just hope for good service and plan on returning items if there is any part of it they don't like. And leaving no feedback at all.

If it's any satisfaction, sellers are also rated on buyer protection cases opened. So if a seller says "no refund" and you open a case to get said refund - which you nearly always will (get a refund) - not only do you get your money back but the seller takes a hit on their seller rating.

I should also add. Buyers cannot open buyer protection cases without emailing the seller first. So first you ask for a refund. If they resist then you can open the buyer protection case

And I can't see his feedback or past transactions because he has his feedback set to "private".

ebay is just turning to garbage.

ebay turned into "Garbage" back in 2003 when they bought out paypal.

[

ebay turned into "Garbage" back in 2003 when they bought out paypal.

What's sad about that is eBay purchasing Paypal lifted Paypal up. Paypal was worse than garbage in 2003. Websites like "paypalsucks.com" started out back then.

I don't know, seems like a way shaddy sellers can bait their way out of bad feedback. I say just bring back buyers negative feedback. Makes things much more even.

Then you get retaliatory feedback that is not justified.

So we keep the ability for buyers to use feedback for retaliation as well as extortion.

I used to get to many non-paying buyers who used to lie and swear in their feedback stating that they never got their item and another who said that I was rude, cursing, and never got their item when I would email them for their payment. Another, from Canada, left lies and cursing because we would not accept his Canadian money order back when we could accept them.

Leaving NEGs for bad buyers was taken away because of all the buyers complaining about the retaliatory feedback, yet nobody addresses the buyers who do this and they do worse things that they sellers could ever do. That is what is wrong.

The only time I ever left a buyer a negative feedback rating was when they did not pay. If they did not pay I left a negative. If it took them over a month to pay they were left a neutral or a backhanded positive. (Took a while buy buyer was responsible and paid) If you need a payment plan for a $20 item then you should not have bid.

The problem these days is that there are too many people that are pulling a routing where they want to find fault in something and then demand a refund and keep the item. What craft is that? The best is when they will not take a picture of the supposed damage. "Why isn't my word good enough?! I am not taking a picture." No dice.

If a buyer ever had a problem with an item that I send they are welcome to send it back. There is no partial refund. As Sinatra sang... it's all or nothing at all.

There are thieves and on both sides of the fence

"Continue to insult me and I will continue to report you to ebay. I have every right to keep feedback private. I have a good repuation I choose not to be part of that system and theres no rule saying i cant bid on your items if its private."

my favorite part is where he says he has a good reputation so thats why he doesn't use feedback on ebay... also, he's suggesting that me stating that all people who use private feedback are scammers, is an insult! But they are!

If you are getting him to say these things in the eBay messaging system then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just cancel the transaction, when he leaves a neg report it and direct eBay CSR to read your messages and it will be deleted.

By chance have you outed this turd yet, I don't want to go back and reread the whole thread. If you haven't you need to so we can all block this eBay ID.

I don't know, seems like a way shaddy sellers can bait their way out of bad feedback. I say just bring back buyers negative feedback. Makes things much more even.

Then you get retaliatory feedback that is not justified.

Sometimes retaliatory feedback is VERY justified.

I have had customers alter shipping..pay for partial lots then neg me for not shipping unless they pay the actual shipping..or ship them everything even though they only paid for a portion.

Guy sends me a bogus paypal payment and then negs me even though he got the items and stole someone else's money to pay for it which I eventually have to return ..

And I cannot neg his ID or contact the other people who he has bid on their items planning to do the same thing to me..

But you know it is all about the buyer because they pay all the listing fees and paypal fees and FVF..so I can see why Ebay doesn't give a carp about the sellers..

oh wait..no I don't

I PAY the listing fees and the FVF and paypal fees and for my 13 years + of Ebayness

I get a limit on my account as to the numbers of items I sell..and how much money I can take in..and my payments held

When I list these days when I list I put on a little makeup and apply an extra coat of lipstick ..so I can look pretty on the chance they may take me out before screwing me..

The only time I ever left a buyer a negative feedback rating was when they did not pay. If they did not pay I left a negative. If it took them over a month to pay they were left a neutral or a backhanded positive. (Took a while buy buyer was responsible and paid) If you need a payment plan for a $20 item then you should not have bid.

The problem these days is that there are too many people that are pulling a routing where they want to find fault in something and then demand a refund and keep the item. What craft is that? The best is when they will not take a picture of the supposed damage. "Why isn't my word good enough?! I am not taking a picture." No dice.

If a buyer ever had a problem with an item that I send they are welcome to send it back. There is no partial refund. As Sinatra sang... it's all or nothing at all.

They get a book or toy and say it is awful they are going to neg me it is a travesty I would sell them something so bad..but they want to keep it and get a 80% refund or they will neg me. Send my toys back..send my book back..I will send you your money back..BUT send me another book back or send me a book back with a page torn out and you will not get jack..

I love it when they say "I received my electronics item and it was used damaged and did not work I would like you to return my monies I am filing a claim via paypal" and I say no problem. Just send the item back via USPS and when we match up the item package and the serial number with the item we sent you (that we took photos of before we shipped out) we will give you a 100% refund.

they never send it back..they never try to claim it because they were lying.

One of my favorites was like "The game console did not work I meant it as a present you broke a little boys heart!" and I tell him to send it back and we will match it up and process his refund because the item had to have been messed with at the PO because it was MINT in unopened box when it left my house. And he says "No I already gave it as a present I couldn't take it back now I just want a refund " So exactly why would he give a broken used damaged item as a present? really? liar then he threatens to neg

*rolls eyes* and of course he lies totally ..

And I can do nothing because I am just a seller..

They get a book or toy and say it is awful they are going to neg me it is a travesty I would sell them something so bad..but they want to keep it and get a 80% refund or they will neg me. Send my toys back..send my book back..I will send you your money back..BUT send me another book back or send me a book back with a page torn out and you will not get jack..

I love it when they say "I received my electronics item and it was used damaged and did not work I would like you to return my monies I am filing a claim via paypal" and I say no problem. Just send the item back via USPS and when we match up the item package and the serial number with the item we sent you (that we took photos of before we shipped out) we will give you a 100% refund.

One of my favorites was like "The game console did not work I meant it as a present you broke a little boys heart!" and I tell him to send it back and we will match it up and process his refund because the item had to have been messed with at the PO because it was MINT in unopened box when it left my house. And he says "No I already gave it as a present I couldn't take it back now I just want a refund " So exactly why would he give a broken used damaged item as a present? really? liar then he threatens to neg

I've only sold a handful of electronic items so bear with me.

I'm confused. eBay's rules make it pretty clear that to get a full refund buyers have to return the item. Have you had eBay give back all of a buyers money and let them keep the item too? I'm not talking about cases where they claimed "item not received". For that we buy insurance.

Most of the situations you describe above - isn't that what the "feedback extortion" rules are supposed to address for sellers?

I've only sold a handful of electronic items so bear with me.

I'm confused. eBay's rules make it pretty clear that to get a full refund buyers have to return the item. Have you had eBay give back all of a buyers money and let them keep the item too? I'm not talking about cases where they claimed "item not received". For that we buy insurance.

Most of the situations you describe above - isn't that what the "feedback extortion" rules are supposed to address for sellers?

Correct - no item - no refund

Buyer also has ten business days to return the item (14 days overall) to return the item.

Two years ago someone wanted a refund on something but would not return the item. They wanted the refund first. eBay told them to follow the procedures. Three weeks go by - still nothing returned and eBay closes the case because they still have not returned the item. They find ime in favor and notify her that the case has been found in my favor. (This was a handbag that my aunt did not want anymore)

No item - no refund

PS I should have seen her nonsense coming when she started complaining that I would not ship the item to an address that differed from he address provided by PayPal.

honestly I'll stop using ebay if they let sellers give feedback ... I only have one negative & its because the seller was a & sent a cgc in an envelope when I complained about the poor shipping & damaged product he said he would leave me a negative if he got anything but positive feedback . You guys may hate it as being good sellers who don't take advantage of it but there are plenty of sellers out there that do

honestly I'll stop using ebay if they let sellers give feedback ... I only have one negative & its because the seller was a & sent a cgc in an envelope when I complained about the poor shipping & damaged product he said he would leave me a negative if he got anything but positive feedback . You guys may hate it as being good sellers who don't take advantage of it but there are plenty of sellers out there that do

No, I don't hate it that ebay doesn't let sellers leave feedback. Some sellers might. But when sellers could leave buyers feedback there was far, far to many sellers abused the feeback process and did just what you describe.

Not only that, it was a tilted playing field. Most sellers received far more feedback than most buyers. So a negative to a buyer that gets 20 or 30 feedbacks a year had way more negative impact than a negative to a seller that was getting 1000 feedbacks a year. When sellers could leave feedback for buyers feedback meant next to nothing. Back then, I paid more attention to the feedback sellers LEFT for buyers than I sellers feedback FROM buyers. I figured the sellers leaving a lot of negs were probably not providing good service and retaliating