• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early ASM Complete Book - got chewed up by dog?

72 posts in this topic

Everyone,

I somehow recall that a dog ate a package that was left at the door.

That package contained very early ASM pages, maybe it even was a complete issue?

I am sure someone remembers that story. Must have been a while ago....

Just came to my mind and I tried to find the full story.

I used to remember the entire story with everyone involved but my memory isn't what it used to be. Basically the mail carrier left the complete ASM 6 on the doorstep and a neighborhood dog chewed it up a bit. It was mainly the first few pages and some pages were worse than others. If you see pages in person, either the damage is still there or they have been restored. But it wasn't that bad - no pages were destroyed.

I used to remember the entire story with everyone involved but my memory isn't what it used to be. Basically the mail carrier left the complete ASM 6 on the doorstep and a neighborhood dog chewed it up a bit. It was mainly the first few pages and some pages were worse than others. If you see pages in person, either the damage is still there or they have been restored. But it wasn't that bad - no pages were destroyed.

Sounds like an expensive appetite for a dog to have . . .

IIRC it was just thrown over the owner's fence by the delivery guy and the owner's dog chewed it up real nice :eek:

The good old days.....lol.

It probably caused a big buzz with the few insiders back then, but imagine this happening in 2012? This would be an at least 6 figure insurance claim :-).

Do we know who the receipient was, is this person still active?

What happened to the damaged pages, were they restored and sold?

I always joke about what might have happened in the old days to some of the original art pages. I wonder if some pages might have been colored in by kids, etc.

Face it, yes there were a few very serious collectors back then, but it so was not mainstream. All kinds of things could have happened to any of the pages.

Just sayin...

Yeah... if you go to any comic book convention where some of these original art dealers exhibit, there's both $50 pages along side $50,000 pages in top loading portfolios left relatively unprotected (no encasing, no mylars, no poly pags for added protection) to the point that an accidental spilled cup of coffee or can of soda can cause damages, or a browsing customer with greasy dirty fingers or malicious one can damage artwork quite easily with bends, tears, markings, or theft. Even the way some dealers handle their artwork inventory in stacks, sometimes makes them prone to potential surface damages.

Old Days? You'd be amazed what is still going on... :gossip:

I'm curious, just to get a little off topic, but does any know of any - old or modern oa, that has known to have been destroyed in some natural disaster, or a fire or something?

I believe Erik Larsen lost alot of his art (Mostly Spiderman) in a fire. And didn't Herb Trimpe lose Hulk 181 art via fire too?

Malvin

I'm curious, just to get a little off topic, but does any know of any - old or modern oa, that has known to have been destroyed in some natural disaster, or a fire or something?

I believe Erik Larsen lost alot of his art (Mostly Spiderman) in a fire. And didn't Herb Trimpe lose Hulk 181 art via fire too?

Malvin

Some major EC collector perished in a fire a few years ago, and a number of EC pages and covers, and I believe a lot of Caniff art was lost. Also, if memory serves me right, Bob Beerbaum (sp?) lost a warehouse full of comics and art in a flood a number of years back.

wasn't a ton of stuff with dave cockrum or len wein destroyed in a fire?

wasn't a ton of stuff with dave cockrum or len wein destroyed in a fire?

ah yes -- it was Cockrum art owned by Wein:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/04/06/x-mens-len-wein-survives-house-fire/

In the comic strip world, I know that Stan Lynde lost most of his Rick O'Shay work in a fire at his home.

The lost EC are belonged to Don Lineberger. The iRobot summary on CBR reads:

Bluegrass musician and comic-art collector Don Lineberger, 71, died Dec. 5 after being pulled from a house fire in Valdosta, Georgia. Smoke inhalation is believed to be the cause of death. A banjo player who performed with the likes of Bill Monroe, Glen Campbell and Steve Martin, Lineberger was also known for his extensive collection of EC Comics memorabilia. Posters in this thread at the Collectors Society message board are attempting to compile a list of original EC work likely lost in the fire. [The Valdosta Daily Times]

More details at The Valdosta Daily Times.