• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I screwed or is he screwed? (ebay!)

91 posts in this topic

Soooo, it was delivered to the right zip code. Having been on both sides of this issue, you're screwed. The key word being "delivered". That's all paypal is concerned with. Since there's no way to tell what address it was delivered to. To air on the side of caution, they'll side with the seller. Again, be glad it was only $70

Sorry, but I have to agree with this. :(

what about the fact that insurance was listed as part of the shipping costs, but then the seller decided to not include insurance when he shipped the package?

(he did refund me part of the shipping costs since he did not buy insurance)

1. doesn't that put the onus back on the seller since there was the assumption of insurance coverage?

2. if he HAD bought insurance as advertised, would it be ineligible for a claim since the USPS system shows it as delivered?

1. No

2. It would be ineligible for a claim, because under $200 doesn't require anything other than what you have now, a "delivered" status

As Enigma said, if tracking says it was "delivered", seller has met his obligation.

Insurance would have done nothing different, since it was under $200.

Short answer: You are screwed

what about the fact that insurance was listed as part of the shipping costs, but then the seller decided to not include insurance when he shipped the package?

doesn't that put the onus back on the seller since there was the assumption of insurance coverage?

Oh, it SHOULD put the onus on the seller, but from ebay's view (uhh!) it was delivered so the seller is off the hook! Sounds like he's not going to do the right thing and refund your money!

I would sure talk to ebay and explain that it was suppose to be insured and was not and see how that goes but don't get your hopes up.

As its been explained to me, the real problem is that the Post Office is broke and getting deeper into debt every day. The surefire cure for that ailment is to replace modestly competent full time employees with not-so-competent part time contract workers. On Saturday mornings at my local post office (the only USPS facility still open on Saturdays in the entire county), the line to see the supervisor about complaints and misdelivered packages is a mile long. On a purely anecdotal level, the number of crushed Priority Mail boxes in the last year really seems to be up...luckily, it hasn't resulted in anything more then a couple of cracked cases.

There are those that would blame Congress for a lot of the problems the USPS is currently encountering, since they have chosen to sit on their hands and not approve the cost-cutting measures the Postmaster General has said are vital for the service to survive. I think the end of an era is near, probably within the next five years.

meanwhile my local post office has a handwritten sign saying "The Post Office is not funded by your Taxes" which Im sure they made so they can point to it when people complain about their performance...

granted the US Government oked them "borrowing" up to 15 billion from the treasury, and they've already borrowed 12b as of last year.... so I wonder where that money comes from hm

If it helps any, the actual taxpayer does figure into the equation: banana096.gif

hopes are definitely not up...

and as far as having it shipped to "a bunch of offices" vs my home...

so having a package delivered to more secure offices vs sitting on my doorstep for 4-6 hrs until I get home is more safe?

much less the potential of being exposed to the elements...

I think I'll keep shipping to my office.

As Enigma said, if tracking says it was "delivered", seller has met his obligation.

doesn't that put the onus back on the seller since there was the assumption of insurance coverage?

Oh, it SHOULD put the onus on the seller, but from ebay's view (uhh!) it was delivered so the seller is off the hook! Sounds like he's not going to do the right thing and refund your money!

I would sure talk to ebay and explain that it was suppose to be insured and was not and see how that goes but don't get your hopes up.

What's the right thing? Seller shipped it to the address listed by Paypal. USPS shows it was delivered. He's done. Not his fault the buyer is claiming to not have received it. Insurance would make no difference as the package isn't actually "lost" if it shows as delivered.

hopes are definitely not up...

and as far as having it shipped to "a bunch of offices" vs my home...

so having a package delivered to more secure offices vs sitting on my doorstep for 4-6 hrs until I get home is more safe?

much less the potential of being exposed to the elements...

I think I'll keep shipping to my office.

I put a large 'garden tool' type box on my porch, and the regular delivery guys put most incoming packages in there, so at least people don't see the boxes sitting out there.

However, I did recently go on vacation, and had the vacation hold on the mail, but the USPS still delivered two packages the day I left, and it must not have been the 'regular girl' as they were left outside for 10 days before I got back home. :(

No damage to books, though :banana:

I guess on the flipside - if I were the seller, and someone could simply say "hey, I didn't get it" even though DC says it was "delivered" - I'd be real concerned about shipping anything at all.

I'd say you're screwed, and if you don't want to have stuff shipped at work, or at home - you can always get a Mailboxes, Etc box or PO Box. I did that for years because of the very reason I didn't want my stuff sitting out at home, or get lost in the office.

yeah patience is what Im trying to practice, but my initial contacts with the seller have been cordial, but he hasnt done anything. All the legwork has been on my end.

I opened up a paypal dispute to encourage him to do some investigation on his side too... (also because there's only a window of time to open a dispute via paypal)

He basically thinks it made it to my office but either someone in the office snagged it, or they mis-delivered it in the office (ie it made it to the address, just not to me).

Man I'm not saying you did anything wrong but think about it.

If you get a package delivered to your house it's in your mailbox or in between your door and screen door. Unless you got thieving neighbors it's only going to be touched by you or someone you live with.

When it goes to your office there could be a dozen or a hundred people that could get their hands on it.

Anything of value sent to work should be signed for... :eek:

In my office I watch the loudmouth (any other word turns to spoon) steal people's lunches, open up people's personal packages to see what they are ordering and overall being a parasite.

I would never order personal items to my office. I send them to a relatives house instead who is retired. You can make a claim but I don't know if you would win since it does show it as delivered. You can claim you never received it and that is probably true. I believe you. The seller can turn around and say you are trying to scam them.

Seller should have put insurance on it as promised though - that's his only fault.

In my office I watch the loudmouth (any other word turns to spoon) steal people's lunches, open up people's personal packages to see what they are ordering and overall being a parasite.

I would never order personal items to my office. I send them to a relatives house instead who is retired. You can make a claim but I don't know if you would win since it does show it as delivered. You can claim you never received it and that is probably true. I believe you. The seller can turn around and say you are trying to scam them.

Seller should have put insurance on it as promised though - that's his only fault.

Eghads! In my office of about 100 people I've never seen stuff like that go down. I've had a great many books shipped to where I work because the receptionist takes the mail and lets me know when something with my name shows up. I don't fault Miraclemet for having stuff shipped to him at work. I personally like knowing the mail is going directly from the mail carrier to a person but that is the situation where I work and of course may not apply for everyone.

As for who is screwed I'm unsure. As a seller in that position I'd probably offer a partial refund - maybe 50%. Both parties lose here and a good compromise always leaves everyone mad but at least you can split the difference and just try to move on. You might offer that as an option to the seller but I don't think technically he has to do anything. I believe Ebay will work off the fact that the box was delievered somewhere so I don't know how much good a claim will do you.

How are you supposed to HIDE your comic purchases from your wife unless you have them sent to your office???

You don't hide them since she would be able to see by the bank account as to where funds are going. You don't criticize when she buys a bag or new clothes and she does not criticize the comics. If you spend the attention and do not have debt and can also afford to spend quality time then the comics should not be an issue. I am single so I am not an expert but I learned my lesson when I was going to get married once and the girl coaxed me into getting rid of my Batman's. I had issues 181 to a little after the Jim Lee Hush storyline. Poof ! Gone.

Or as one of my married friends says, "It is better to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission."

One thought is that the package is sitting at your office's local post office. I'd check there; after having a ton of packages delivered to my office with no problems, one package didn't arrive. It wasn't until I physically went to the post office and had them check that it was found. (They supposedly wanted to leave a missed delivery postcard for some reason, but they didn't even leave that).

What's the right thing? Seller shipped it to the address listed by Paypal. USPS shows it was delivered. He's done. Not his fault the buyer is claiming to not have received it. Insurance would make no difference as the package isn't actually "lost" if it shows as delivered.

Yes, but the seller agreed to insure the package and did not. He should at least be able to get his money back IMO.

Yes, but the seller agreed to insure the package and did not. He should at least be able to get his money back IMO.

You're missing the point. Doesn't matter if insurance was included or not. If the package was shown as 'delivered' by USPS then any insurance claim would be denied. So the whole issue of providing insurance is a mute point.

And why would the seller, probably not knowing some random buyer off the internet give a refund if USPS says it got delivered? Are you, as the seller, to believe that USPS screwed up or that maybe this buyer MIGHT be trying to scam you? I know the buyer is not scamming and has a legitimate problem but to expect a refund from the seller when the letter of the law (USPS law, eBay law) says he is not in the wrong, is kind of expecting too much.

1. its moot point, not mute point

2. Yeah I dont know that theres much that can be done, especially since USPS shows it as delivered.

3. I dont have a screen door for the box to rest between, and I live on a street that gets passed by tons of traffic, and "walkers" every day now that school has started (house is down the street from a school and right on the "cars lining up" route), so having a box sitting by the door gets a lot more eyes on it.

4. I guess the only thing I still wonder about is if there's any way USPS can tell me where the package was delivered (since tracking doesn't show where it was delivered to) I know that info isnt outward facing, but trying to get help from their customer service was less than fruitful...

You're missing the point. Doesn't matter if insurance was included or not. If the package was shown as 'delivered' by USPS then any insurance claim would be denied. So the whole issue of providing insurance is a mute point.

And why would the seller, probably not knowing some random buyer off the internet give a refund if USPS says it got delivered? Are you, as the seller, to believe that USPS screwed up or that maybe this buyer MIGHT be trying to scam you? I know the buyer is not scamming and has a legitimate problem but to expect a refund from the seller when the letter of the law (USPS law, eBay law) says he is not in the wrong, is kind of expecting too much.

Yeah, maybe so. I guess you need insurance and a "signature Confirmation" to have a chance at getting your money back. I just know that I would refund the $70.00 bucks especially if I stated I would perform as stated in my ebay description and did not follow thru..i.e. insurance in this instance even though it would do no good to file claim.