• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Info on Alex Ross OA

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im brand new to comic art and I am thinking of buying an Alex Ross painting. I dont have a particular piece in mind yet but I had a few questions. I saw that he sells through his website and the type of painting I am looking at range between 6-10k.

Do his paintings all funnel through his site? When these go to auction do they tend to appreciate over his initial asking price? Am I better off buying through the site or waiting for an auction?

There is one with Lewis galleries that I like. I have heard a few things about them but would like to hear some opinions on buying through them. I will pay FMV but it seems hard to figure out on unique items and I dont want to grossly overpay. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do his paintings all funnel through his site? When these go to auction do they tend to appreciate over his initial asking price? Am I better off buying through the site or waiting for an auction?

From the ones I've seen, they tend to sell for less than their original sale price at auction. Not saying this is the case with all of his artwork, but I would buy at auction rather than his rep as it's usually cheaper

From the ones I've seen, they tend to sell for less than their original sale price at auction. Not saying this is the case with all of his artwork, but I would buy at auction rather than his rep as it's usually cheaper

That tends to be true. I picked up my splash page on Ebay a few years back for less than half the price it had been listed for on his sale site.

Covers and large paintings with major characters will always go for a good amount and I feel will hold their value. Book pages not as much unless from certain books like Kingdom Come or Marvels.

It's always the same with pages when they are offered for the 1st time : you have a very strong probability of paying more for the absolute best pieces when they hit the 2nd market and an excellent chance of paying less for the "not so good" pieces.

Considering your budget, you can definitely target an excellent piece.

My advice would be : if you fall madly in love with a piece fresh on the market, whether on Ross' website or at an auction, jump on it.

If it's been for sale for a long time, it means it's not worth the price being asked for : pass and wait for the right opprtunity.

I dont buy OA as I mostly buy comics. Having said that I like Alex Ross art. I manage to buy some sketch from his site and no regrets. I have received the same advise here that if you buy a big OA piece from his site, buy because you like it and not for the investment value as it will not go up much.

His Giclee's are also nice and same advise dont buy hoping the price to go up because chances are it won't. Despite knowing that, I still bought 2 giclees, Avengers Assemble and the Magnificent Seven DC. I love both of them. :)

For most of his paintings, the secondary market is definitely less than buying direct. However, for the secondary market, you have no ability to pick what you want, you just have to react with what comes up.

Malvin