• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hope this is the last "Man brings loaded concealed handgun to DKR"

133 posts in this topic

I really don't care if he had a permit... leave it in the car you insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Check out this from New Haven CT Attorney brings a not so concealed gun to the DKR last night. After it was reported to the police they swarmed the movie asked everyone to have hands up and got pat downs. The suspect was located had his cell phone on while cops had guns pointed at him demanding he stop and get up to be frisked.

:o:facepalm::o

DKR concealed gun found

"A prominent New Haven attorney arrested for bringing a loaded gun to a late showing of the “Dark Knight” Tuesday turned the incident into a referendum on the city’s police department.

Sung-Ho Hwang, 46, showed up for a late night screening at the Criterion cinema downtown with a gun in his waistband, raising suspicions and fears that a copycat killer was ready to strike.

Hwang, who lives in downtown New Haven, is a well-known immigration attorney in the city and the President-elect of the New Haven County Bar Association.

In a statement emailed to the Daily News, Hwang said he has a permit to carry a weapon and felt he needed a gun for security while walking home alone at 1 a.m.

Hwang added that “no posting at Criterion states that weapons are not permitted. As far as the law is concerned, I have a right to carry there.”

Hwang’s actions come in the wake of the shooting attack at a midnight showing of the “Dark Knight” July 20 in Aurora, Colorado that left 12 people dead and 58 wounded.

A potential copycat attack at an Ohio theater was thwarted Saturday when police intervened before a man sitting in a “tactical position” could cause any harm.

But Hwang defended his actions declaring New Haven ‘the murder capital of Connecticut,’ which prompted him to carry the weapon for his own safety. But he found few supporters at City Hall. “Just because its legal, doesn’t make it right,” New Haven Mayor John DeStefano said in a press conference Wednesday afternoon, adding that there should be a gun registry program for cities.

After receiving multiple complaints from patrons about a man openly carrying a handgun, theater staff called the police. Cops searched the theater asking moviegoers to exit with their hands in the air while being searched, according to the press release.

When they located Hwang, they took action.

"Officers identified the suspect and with weapons drawn, ordered the suspect to put his hands up," the press release said. "He remained in his seat while using his cell phone. He did not comply with the officers commands, and was taken into custody by force. Officers removed a loaded handgun from the small of his back.”

Hwang was then handcuffed and removed from the theater.

“Everyone in the theater responded to the requests of the police officers except for the individual involved, the police had to take action,” New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman said in a Wednesday afternoon press conference.

Current Bar Association President Irene Jacobs did not reply to a message left by the Daily News asking for comment.

“There still are behaviors permissible under the law,” said Mayor DeStefano, “we, as a community, need to discuss our priorities as a city.”

Hwang faces two charges stemming from the incident: interfering with police and breach of the peace.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/serious-new-haven-attorney-arrested-loaded-gun-dark-knight-screening-defends-actions-"

Another nut job.

How about wearing a bullet proof vest to the theater instead of bringing weapons?

These people are insane and the fact he didn't cooperate with officers once he was confronted shows there may be more to his intent than meets the eye.

Here's the real nut job of the story:

“Just because its legal, doesn’t make it right,” New Haven Mayor John DeStefano

How is this guy a nut job? He had a permit to carry and it was not like he was armed to the teeth and ready for WWIII. Even if the theater had an internal policy of no guns on the premises, it's not (at least in most states) a state mandated, gun free zone like a school or federal building. The worst that can happen is that he is asked to leave and is banned from the theater by the owner.

How is this guy a nut job? He had a permit to carry and it was not like he was armed to the teeth and ready for WWIII. Even if the theater had an internal policy of no guns on the premises, it's not (at least in most states) a state mandated, gun free zone like a school or federal building. The worst that can happen is that he is asked to leave and is banned from the theater by the owner.

Not when there is a high alert.... who would know he "legally" could carry the gun? This guy is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if he wears it for "protection" leave it locked in the car!!!

Not when there is a high alert.... who would know he "legally" could carry the gun? This guy is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if he wears it for "protection" leave it locked in the car!!!

Read the story. Read the law. Know your rights.

He's a nut job because he is not smart enough to figure out that carrying a gun to TDKR after everything that has happened is probably not wise, nor considerate. What is really frightening, is that you don't have to pass any sort of competency screening to get a conceal/carry.

And trust me - I live in Montana, and I know people who not only have conceal/carry, but they take their guns with them while they get drunk, go to church, etc. You know, for "protection". It's a Tough Guy License for men who think guns are toys, nothing more.

Gun ownership is about being responsible, being aware of the people around you and safety. The fact that this guy ignores all those standard gun owner responsibilities makes him a gigantic D-bag, and a HUGE reason to why people want to take guns away in this country.

If there really were no postings saying firearms aren't allowed then technically it doesn't sound like he did anything illegal even if he was an about it. Open carry never really sits well with me even where it is allowed. Wear a jacket over the thing and everyone will be much happier. Very poor choice in his part regardless of the legality given the news surrounding this movie and guns though.

Great!

Now we're gonna end up having to get to the movies 90 minutes early just like the airport because of brainiacs like this meh

By the time our local, state, and federal governments are done you're gonna have to pee in a cup before you're allowed entrance anywhere.

He was stirring the pot.

If he had complied with the police when they instructed him to put his hands in the air and explained what was going on then at the most he would have been asked to leave.

Instead he decided to pull a cell phone. Ok then, the police viewpoint is. Since you want to be a big guy with the guns and not answer questions we are going to hit you with anything we can.

I am glad they got him on interfering with the police. Enough of this nonsense.

So the guy ignore the cops keeps talking on his cell phone does not tell people he has a permit then wonders why people are upset?

Exactly... had he answered the questions he would have been probably asked to leave and nothing more. Instead he has to stay on the cell phone.

To the boardies that may say, he does not have to answer the police:

He was already identified as the man with the gun. Until the police are able to determine the intent behind his carrying the weapon they are to assume and treat the incident as if a crime is going on. Man carrying a gun into the firing range is a lot different than a man carrying a gun into a theater.

Great!

Now we're gonna end up having to get to the movies 90 minutes early just like the airport because of brainiacs like this meh

Well I guess drive-ins are making a comeback!

So the guy ignore the cops keeps talking on his cell phone does not tell people he has a permit then wonders why people are upset?

Exactly... had he answered the questions he would have been probably asked to leave and nothing more. Instead he has to stay on the cell phone.

To the boardies that may say, he does not have to answer the police:

He was already identified as the man with the gun. Until the police are able to determine the intent behind his carrying the weapon they are to assume and treat the incident as if a crime is going on. Man carrying a gun into the firing range is a lot different than a man carrying a gun into a theater.

From another article I found

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/08/08/news/doc5022a7718f2f3173463224.txt?viewmode=4

Hwang wasn’t charged with any weapon violations. His charges stem from his alleged actions — or inaction — after being confronted by police.

Had he immediately shown his hands, the official said, criminal charges might have been averted and instead “maybe he would have been counseled on how to better conceal his weapon while attending a ‘Dark Knight’ movie.”

Here's the real nut job of the story:

“Just because its legal, doesn’t make it right,” New Haven Mayor John DeStefano

It struck me as a Mayor/cops vs. "President-elect of the New Haven County Bar Association" story. Elitist ego vs. elitist ego, with open carry and ignoring officers as a means of being a self-righteous douchenozzle.

Well maybe if you had several police officers draw their guns on you for doing NOTHING wrong, you wouldn't be inclined to be the most helpful either.

Insufficiently thoughtful? I couldn't disagree more with this perception of the arrested person. If you ask me, after what happened in Colorado, I would expect to see MORE people being responsible gun owners and protecting themselves in public situations (in turn, protecting the innocents near them).

In this thread he has been referred to as a "nut job" and also "big guy with guns."

I don't know if this is just a liberal vs. conservative thing or not, but this man did nothing wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if the attorney sues for the way the police initialized their contact with him (not that I would agree with that course of action).

For those giving this man grief, If another man with a firearm stormed into the theater and began shooting, you would rather this person have left their gun in the car because you would feel safer that way?

Don't you think right-to-carry includes being responsible enough to comply with officer's requests?

Being granted a carry permit doesn't put you in an adversarial position with 1st responders. You're on the same side, having accepted extra responsibility as an armed citizen.

If he had complied with the police when they instructed him to put his hands in the air and explained what was going on then at the most he would have been asked to leave.

Instead he decided to pull a cell phone. Ok then, the police viewpoint is. Since you want to be a big guy with the guns and not answer questions we are going to hit you with anything we can.

You're microanalyzing this, which I'm fine with, but if you're going to do that, be sure you even know what exactly happened. I've heard he was already talking on the phone when the cops came, he didn't "pull" one. How long did he keep talking on it after they confronted him? That's the question I haven't heard a good description of an answer to in the reports I read about this. (shrug)

I don't know if this is just a liberal vs. conservative thing or not, but this man did nothing wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if the attorney sues for the way the police initialized their contact with him (not that I would agree with that course of action).

The only Issue I have is he ignored the police. How are they supposed to know he had a permit unless he identified himself and told them.

At the time it looks like he ignored the cops.

Look at it from police point of view.

Man openly carries gun into movie theater.

He will not speak to cops.

Are they going to ignore him and say I guess he has permit lets leave him alone?