• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Came First, X-men 94 or GSX-Men 1?

24 posts in this topic

A lot of people also forget that the regular series was only published every OTHER month back then.

It doesn't go monthly until Issue #113 with John Byrne as the regular penciler.

A lot of people also forget that the regular series was only published every OTHER month back then.

I just realized that Fantastic Four published every other month for awhile. It never occurred to me as I always believed that all of the major titles were published monthly.

I just realized that Fantastic Four published every other month for awhile. It never occurred to me as I always believed that all of the major titles were published monthly.

When was this? The regular Marvel titles were always monthly when I started reading them. The FF reprint magazine( Marvels Greatest) was published eight times a year, if I recall. X-men had been a bi-monthly reprint for a few years when 94 came out.

Only Super-Hero I can think of that was bi-monthly was Daredevil and that only lasted one issue around 109 or so.

Many readers skipped GS X-Men #1 as it was 50 cents compared to the regular titles which were either 20 or 25 cents, so there was a good bit of confusion..

Marvel had announced a line of quarterly 35 cent books, which turned into 50 cent books almost as soon as the ink dried.

GS X-Men 1 hit the stands around the end of April, X-94 a few months later

Fantastic Four #1 1961-8-8

Fantastic Four #2 1961-09-21 Bi-monthly through Fantastic Four #5 1962-4-10

Monthly with Fantastic Four #6

Since circulation figures weren't available that fast, this limited their financial exposure I'd guess.

Sort of unrelated:

Anyone know where I can find a list of early Ant-Man appearances in order? He guess stared in other issues and his Avengers appearances make it a confusing task...

When was this? The regular Marvel titles were always monthly when I started reading them. The FF reprint magazine( Marvels Greatest) was published eight times a year, if I recall. X-men had been a bi-monthly reprint for a few years when 94 came out.

Only Super-Hero I can think of that was bi-monthly was Daredevil and that only lasted one issue around 109 or so.

Many readers skipped GS X-Men #1 as it was 50 cents compared to the regular titles which were either 20 or 25 cents, so there was a good bit of confusion..

Marvel had announced a line of quarterly 35 cent books, which turned into 50 cent books almost as soon as the ink dried.

GS X-Men 1 hit the stands around the end of April, X-94 a few months later

Iron Man was bimonthly for a stretch in the early/mid 70s. Captain Marvel was bimonthly its entire run. Dr. Strange was bimonthly most of its run...etc, etc

So I've often wondered which issue hit the shelves first; X-Men #94 or Giant Size X-Men #1? Does anyone know or where they released at the same time? CGC Labels for GSX #1 say 'Summer 1975' and X-Men #94 say '8/75' :shrug:

Jerome

GS 1 came first. July 75.

Well , this certainly can't be right!

If X-Men 94 has a cover date of August '75, then this must mean that it was on the shelves most likely in June of 75. I am quite sure that GS #1 came out earlier that year since the Marvel Masterworks indicate a cover date of May '75 and Wikipedia mentions an release date of February 75, although this sounds a bit too early to me.

I am quite sure that GS #1 hit the shelves around the spring of '75. :gossip:

So I've often wondered which issue hit the shelves first; X-Men #94 or Giant Size X-Men #1? Does anyone know or where they released at the same time? CGC Labels for GSX #1 say 'Summer 1975' and X-Men #94 say '8/75' :shrug:

Jerome

If X-Men 94 has a cover date of August '75, then this must mean that it was on the shelves most likely in June of 75. I am quite sure that GS #1 came out earlier that year since the Marvel Masterworks indicate a cover date of May '75 and Wikipedia mentions an release date of February 75, although this sounds a bit too early to me.

The GCD says May 1975?

http://www.comics.org/issue/28072/

Giant Size X-Men 1 - April 3, 1975

X-Men 94 - June 17, 1975

Donut;

Thanks for clearing that up! (thumbs u

So, it looks like my guesstimate of Spring '75 for GS #1 and June for X-Men 94 was pretty well bang-on.

Let's get to something a little more tougher like Pep 22 and Jackpot 4, although I believe that one has also been pretty well put to bed according to the Archie experts.

Wiki gives the release month for GS X-Men 1 as being Febuary, but I remember buying it off the newstand and reading it while listening to a Yankee game. Maybe it was a spring training game, but it was warm out and I recall sitting in the sun.

Sort of unrelated:

Anyone know where I can find a list of early Ant-Man appearances in order? He guess stared in other issues and his Avengers appearances make it a confusing task...

http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=2406

(thumbs u

Thanks! I'm surprised his first 10/11 appearances were all in TTA. That won't be hard to complete...

Jerome

No i meant the date printed inside. Since books at that time had a printed date 2 months ahead of their release.