• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is my book trimmed?

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, was just bagging and boarding some comics I bought in a lot, and I came across this one. It caught my eye because a small chunk of the comics code stamp is missing. Never seen this before so I looked up an image of another copy of this book, and it doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not really sure why someone would trim this book though seeing as it isn't exactly super rare or valuable. Maybe you guys can give your advice? Below is the comic in question, a Tomb of Dracula issue 17. I apologize in advance if my scan isn't too great, not really very versed in taking high quality scans but I did my best.

scan0001.jpg

I find wraps and miswraps to be an interesting topic as it relates to what why we choose one book over another. (I live a very sheltered life. :shy: )

The cover art is slightly bigger than the book. The extra area is called bleed. This allows for a little shifting between the printing plates and the paper and ensures that the cover continues to be OK for distribution. Sometimes a book shifts so much that the line beyond the cover becomes visible.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

The above book reveals the bottom of the art. The alignment between the printing plates and the paper has shifted. In the 1970s much of Marvel's product is miswrapped. The Dracula book is also miswrapped back to front. This is almost "standard" practice during that time.

It's aesthetic issue. Some collectors hunt for a long time to find a book that is perfectly wrapped. It can be close to impossible. I think of Tales of Suspense #39, Strange Tales #101 and Amazing Spider-Man #10 as prominent examples of early Silver.

I find wraps and miswraps to be an interesting topic as it relates to what why we choose one book over another. (I live a very sheltered life. :shy: )

The cover art is slightly bigger than the book. The extra area is called bleed. This allows for a little shifting between the printing plates and the paper and ensures that the cover continues to be OK for distribution. Sometimes a book shifts so much that the line beyond the cover becomes visible.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

The above book reveals the bottom of the art. The alignment between the printing plates and the paper has shifted. In the 1970s much of Marvel's product is miswrapped. The Dracula book is also miswrapped back to front. This is almost "standard" practice during that time.

It's aesthetic issue. Some collectors hunt for a long time to find a book that is perfectly wrapped. It can be close to impossible. I think of Tales of Suspense #39, Strange Tales #101 and Amazing Spider-Man #10 as prominent examples of early Silver.

Rodan, You know thats a Winnipeg Pedigree copy of JIM 116 correct?

Yes, but thanks for the potential heads up. It was a CGC 8.0W. I bought it in spite of the miswrap as it was an identifiable pedigree. I liked the idea of an established provenance. I also like to read my books and crack out pretty much everything these days.*

*Of course this sometimes (not with the JIM 116) leads to disappointment as a book may have hidden defects, tanning in particular,

not apparent from the outside. It's also sometimes disappointing to have a paper quality less than the label would promise. :sumo: