• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing comic book questions

31 posts in this topic

Let's say someone would like to perform their own pressing and not utilize an outside service. Clearly some individuals are using dry mount presses and other forms of heat presses to accomplish basic pressing needs.

My question is: what model/make of press would you suggest using?

Any links would be appreciated.

FYI without going into great detail: if there was a comic of signifiant value and that would undoubtedly benefit from a professional pressing service's attention I would use them in a heartbeat just so I didn't screw things up.

That being said: there are alot of bronze and modern age comics that could use a good press.....and don't really need alot of bells and whistles or special attention like a rare silver. So shelling out a couple of hundred dollars to have a press at home would be more beneficial for those types of comics. They just don't warrant the cost of sending them to someone else for service. 8 comics in and you've already spent the same bread on a press.

A comic that's a couple of thousand clams is a different animal entirely and I'll leave that to the professionals. :)

Don't expect to get any advice on here as to how to press books yourself. The guys who do it have learnt through trail and error and years of practice. There's more to it than a couple hundred bucks and a press. You'll have to work it out yourself if you intend on doing it.

Let's say someone would like to perform their own pressing and not utilize an outside service. Clearly some individuals are using dry mount presses and other forms of heat presses to accomplish basic pressing needs.

FYI without going into great detail: if there was a comic of signifiant value and that would undoubtedly benefit from a professional pressing service's attention I would use them in a heartbeat just so I didn't screw things up.

That being said: there are alot of bronze and modern age comics that could use a good press.....and don't really need alot of bells and whistles or special attention like a rare silver. So shelling out a couple of hundred dollars to have a press at home would be more beneficial for those types of comics. They just don't warrant the cost of sending them to someone else for service. 8 comics in and you've already spent the same bread on a press.

A comic that's a couple of thousand clams is a different animal entirely and I'll leave that to the professionals. :)

a dry mount press. 165 degrees. You dabble with the right pressure and time on each side. Also, a great cold press is what makes a good press. Dry clean your books before you press them so surface dirt is gone and not imbedded into the book. Buy a paper conservation book to see how/when to apply humidity when needed. If you buy a good paper conservation book it will tell you everything you need to know. All that being said. I still use the professionals. Good luck.

You may also want to consider keeping your comics unpressed, so that they have the plumpness of fresh-off-the-rack books with nice uncrushed spines.

(tsk)

Your post is a joke, right? You think that all books ought to be pressed?

Or did you just miss the post that asks professional pressers to reveal their accumulated knowledge and trade secrets in this thread? Do you think that's less offensive than suggesting some comics be left unpressed?

I built my own press in the back yard, but it was a total failure. You can see in the video I destroyed it and scraped the remains.

I then figured Joey was the best shot.

FYI to OP - I have had a sizable handfull of books pressed by JoeyPost. Almost all got at least a half-grade bump. The one that didn't, Joey told me probably wouldn't bump up from a press. I said press anyway. It didn't get the bump. On another he recommended not pressing because he thought the spine was too fragile. I didn't press that one. He is super-fast and super-professional.

Many collectors are against pressing philosophically, but if you are into that process - I am - for me, JoeyPost is the way to go...

a dry mount press. 165 degrees. You dabble with the right pressure and time on each side. Also, a great cold press is what makes a good press. Dry clean your books before you press them so surface dirt is gone and not imbedded into the book. Buy a paper conservation book to see how/when to apply humidity when needed. If you buy a good paper conservation book it will tell you everything you need to know. All that being said. I still use the professionals. Good luck.

I agree - it's just so much easier..

I appreciate everyone's feedback, productive or otherwise. As I mentioned before, if there's a comic of significance and value that would benefit from using a professional....I'm going that route.

All things being equal, it's not rocket science and they aren't using hadron colliders, so I think I can handle a glorified iron and use some common sense for more run of the mill comics.

The temperature settings were something I did want feedback about, and from what I understand the suggested temperature given a few posts ago is within the same suggested range I've gleaned from others.

FTR: I do sincerely appreciate those that have given me some more specifics both privately here and openly in the thread (you know who you all are), and I've gotten a few yucks out of those others that just want to be forum trolling anuses. It's all good in my book. Keep on truckin...