• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing comic book questions

31 posts in this topic

I am new to the pressing technique and have couple questions, please help me out.

-Can pressing press out small spine ticks? These are not breaking color spine stress, these ticks show up when you tilt the book to the light and if you look straight down on the book, nothing wrong with it.

How many spine ticks are allowed for CGC 9.8? CGC 9.6?

If the book has 1 tiny spine stress and everything else is perfect, will this help with pressing for 9.8 and is the book able to get 9.8?

Have couple books thinking of pressing but not sure if these defects are pressable or not.

Your answer is greatly appreciated!

I am new to the pressing technique and have couple questions, please help me out.

-Can pressing press out small spine ticks? These are not breaking color spine stress, these ticks show up when you tilt the book to the light and if you look straight down on the book, nothing wrong with it.

How many spine ticks are allowed for CGC 9.8? CGC 9.6?

If the book has 1 tiny spine stress and everything else is perfect, will this help with pressing for 9.8 and is the book able to get 9.8?

Have couple books thinking of pressing but not sure if these defects are pressable or not.

Your answer is greatly appreciated!

Yes, pressing can eliminate small and even not so small spine ticks that do not break color. The key is "do not break color"

As to how many non-color breaking spine ticks are allowed for CGC 9.8 and 9.6. I'm tempted to answer "who knows?". But I'm also tempted to answer that at 9.8 it's not likely you have any. Maybe one or two very small ones at 9.6. I've seen some 9.4's that had one very small tick that broke color. I don't recall seeing any 9.6's with color breaking stresses along the spine. But that doesn't mean there are none

I think a book that is really perfect with one non-color breaking stress at the spine is a great candidate for pressing to 9.8. But we are talking hypothetically. CGC might see something else on such a book that you or I thought was otherwise perfect.

One or two in 9.8 if they don't break color and they are hard to see unless you hold them at the right angle under a light.

Depends on the book, if you've got an ASM #1raw and it's a 3.0, and pressing it you get a 4.5 CGC. Heck yeah it's worth it. If its an ASM #521....probably not. (shrug)

Depends on the book, if you've got an ASM #1raw and it's a 3.0, and pressing it you get a 4.5 CGC. Heck yeah it's worth it. If its an ASM #521....probably not. (shrug)

I have an ASM 7 that is in rough shape. I'm trying to decide... Its not worth that much as its the second vulture and it's not in the greatest shape.

So you think it would be possible to from a 3.0 to a 4.5 from a press?

I have an ASM 7 that is in rough shape. I'm trying to decide... Its not worth that much as its the second vulture and it's not in the greatest shape.

All depends on the book. Not very likely to get that big of a bump unless the book has a lot of wrinkles or deep creases.

All depends on the book. Not very likely to get that big of a bump unless the book has a lot of wrinkles or deep creases.

Joeypost,

Your the person who does all the pressing, right?

If I was to mail books to be pressed they would then ship them to CGC then back to me correct? Also could I mail them and have the pressing company look at them and tell me what they think?

Thanks

Joeypost,

If I was to mail books to be pressed they would then ship them to CGC then back to me correct? Also could I mail them and have the pressing company look at them and tell me what they think?

I am one of the people.

The answer to your questions are yes. I do the work, I take them to CGC and CGC mailes them back to you when they are done.

Joeypost,

I am one of the people.

The answer to your questions are yes. I do the work, I take them to CGC and CGC mailes them back to you when they are done.

OK thanks for the reply. Last question: if you got a book that clearly a press wouldn't help would you let me know? I'd rather not pay the CGC fees on top of the pressing fees if it wasn't going to help the book...

Joeypost,

I am one of the people.

OK thanks for the reply. Last question: if you got a book that clearly a press wouldn't help would you let me know? I'd rather not pay the CGC fees on top of the pressing fees if it wasn't going to help the book...

Yes, I would let you know. No use spending money for no reason.

Joey Post, You did an outstanding job on my friend's Giant Size X-Men #1, which was pressed into a CGC 9.4! After seeing your work, you are the one to see for my pressing concerns! EJR

Let's say someone would like to perform their own pressing and not utilize an outside service. Clearly some individuals are using dry mount presses and other forms of heat presses to accomplish basic pressing needs.

My question is: what model/make of press would you suggest using?

Any links would be appreciated.

FYI without going into great detail: if there was a comic of signifiant value and that would undoubtedly benefit from a professional pressing service's attention I would use them in a heartbeat just so I didn't screw things up.

That being said: there are alot of bronze and modern age comics that could use a good press.....and don't really need alot of bells and whistles or special attention like a rare silver. So shelling out a couple of hundred dollars to have a press at home would be more beneficial for those types of comics. They just don't warrant the cost of sending them to someone else for service. 8 comics in and you've already spent the same bread on a press.

A comic that's a couple of thousand clams is a different animal entirely and I'll leave that to the professionals. :)

DoughXpress_TXA-SS.jpg

I just found this gal for a steal!!! For 5K I can not only restore my comics, but I can make tortillas as well.....can you say entrepreneur? Thanks DiceX, without your sage advice on this matter, I wouldn't ever have become the first and only Tex-mex foodservice comic restoration outfit in the states. K+ to you! I know you're gonna wanna be my baby momma now. :P

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/doughxpress/txa-ss/p370299.aspx?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=DoughXpress-TXA-SS&utm_campaign=Commercial-Tortilla-Presses&utm_source=amazon