• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can you tell if a slab has been tampered with or opened?

21 posts in this topic

I have here a slab that just arrived in the mail. When inspecting it I notice it has something none of my other slabs do, it squeaks. After further inspection I found the cause of the noise, the whole left side just doesn't seem to be as firmly sealed as my other slabs.

Does anyone have cases that creak, or is this evidence that someone's tried to or successfully opened it? Or is this possibly from shipping?

Thanks for any info.

Most slabs are not sealed all the way around. So, most will probably squeak if you want them to. :grin:

The posts in the four corners are the only things that show evidence of tampering.

you could probably get them to squeal if you were feeling particularly frisky/lonely

Most slabs are not sealed all the way around. So, most will probably squeak if you want them to. :grin:

The posts in the four corners are the only things that show evidence of tampering.

you could probably get them to squeal if you were feeling particularly frisky/lonely

hm

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Yeah after more poking and prodding most aren't sealed all the way but this is the only one that squeaks. (and none squealed)

You're not doing it right then :gossip:

I'll google some techniques.

And what type of evidence would there be at the posts?

I have yet to see a slab be opened enough to swap a book out without a post getting damaged. Every time I crack a slab open I try to see if I can remove it flawlessly(hasn't happened yet) because I'm paranoid about buying a tampered slab on eBay or from somewhere else. So the CGC design seems secure enough to me.

I have here a slab that just arrived in the mail. When inspecting it I notice it has something none of my other slabs do, it squeaks. After further inspection I found the cause of the noise, the whole left side just doesn't seem to be as firmly sealed as my other slabs.

Does anyone have cases that creak, or is this evidence that someone's tried to or successfully opened it? Or is this possibly from shipping?

Thanks for any info.

I have some squeaky slabs too. This is normal.

If you want to know if a slab has been tampered with, 99.99% of the time, at least one of the four corner posts will be cracked. However, I would not be worried unless at least two corner posts were broken.