• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this ASM 52 (large file)

35 posts in this topic

Received these books at the office today, so I was able to scan a couple. What do you think CGC gave this book?

When I sent it in the flaws I found were;

Mark on the overflash at the TLC

Wear to the LLC (not blunted)

Light Cream color along spine on the back cover (similar to the boxish tan look on those ASM 19's)

Positives

No spine stress

Perfectly square corners

*white specs are on scanner, sorry it's a bit dark this scanner is god awful*

ASM52.jpg

I would say it's an 8.0, and I'd say CGC gave it an 8.5.

What do you see as the flaw that would drop this to 8.0? "Tanning" on the spine?

I dunno why they're hammering it either...I was thinking 9.0 to 9.4 range

What do you see as the flaw that would drop this to 8.0? "Tanning" on the spine?

Brian

Basically, yes, but tanning is a pet peeve of mine.

From what I can see, I think CGC gave it an 8.5 based on the chip in the over-flash, tanning, and LLC wear.

Are you talking about the bend in the ULC overflash? It's not a chip. The tanning does suck, I've never been a fan of it but wasn't really sure how much to deduct (if anything) for it.

Brian

Post deleted, since I shouldn't have second-guessed myself in the first place. tongue.gif

The LLC has that grayish fuzziness to it, similar in effect to the fraying on those modern cardstock covers after you open them, but it is still squared. And, as you can see in the scan, there's a tiny (1/16 in) mark right above the corner.

Brian

As an aside, this book got an off-white page designation from CGC. The interior pages are creamish near the spine, though. Can't imagine why it wasn't given the "c-ow" treatment. From what I understand ow-w means the pages are ow at the edges and white in the middle. Wouldn't a book that's got ow in the middle and cream near the spine be, c-ow?

Brian

As an aside, this book got an off-white page designation from CGC. The interior pages are creamish near the spine, though. Can't imagine why it wasn't given the "c-ow" treatment. From what I understand ow-w means the pages are ow at the edges and white in the middle. Wouldn't a book that's got ow in the middle and cream near the spine be, c-ow?

Brian

I think OW/W or Cream/OW is a tweener grade.

It means the darkest paper in the book is between OW and White.

As if OWL 10 is white and OWL 8 is OW, the darkest paper is OWL 9.

I don't think it has anything to do with the paper being varying colors.

If it did, there would be books with "Cream to White" page colors.

Perhaps one of the graders can give an official ruling. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

***Paging Mr. Borock...***

I don't think it has anything to do with the paper being varying colors.

If it did, there would be books with "Cream to White" page colors.

Perhaps one of the graders can give an official ruling. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

***Paging Mr. Borock...***

They answered this in the "Ask CGC" forum a while back and said that the descriptors denote books with varying page colors, although I suspect they actually use it for both varying page colors and to describe the midpoint between two different colors. I'll see if I can find a link to their comment on this.

"Tanning" on the spine?

Is it tanning, or a dust shadow? Tanning affects the paper through-and-through on both sides and is the most severe; a dust shadow just affects one side and hasn't seriously affected the quality of the paper like tanning does.

Since it hits the back of the spine also, it's gotta be tanning. It also goes through to the pages, making them creamish IMO.

Glad someone could find that post, so it looks like this book SHOULD be c-ow? Which makes it even more interesting then because I submitted a 67 with the same tanning on the spine that came back with WHITE pages. (Note, however, I didn't get a chance to look at the pages)

Brian

Since it hits the back of the spine also, it's gotta be tanning. It also goes through to the pages, making them creamish IMO.

If you're right, then CGC usually doesn't give above 8.0 for tanning that severe