• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paying a Premium for old Red Label Moderns?

31 posts in this topic

This may have been asked before, but I did a search and could not find any old threads about this.

My question is, would you put a premium on a comic that is in an old "modern" red label CGC case? I have seen some auctions where the seller is trying to get a premium due to the old red label. I assume the theory is that either the red label itself is rare, and therefore worth more money, or that CGC's grading was more conservative back then (1999 to 2000/2001?). Therefore, a red label 9.8 is more likely to re-grade as a blue label 9.9 or 10, etc.

I have a few old red label books and was considering having them re-holdered (just because I find the blue universal label to be more attractive), but not if they are worth more money as red labels.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

I was asking someone who's been into collecting much longer than me if CGC grading standards has every declined over time. One of the books I just got has a very visible ding on the bottom spine corner and we both thought it was REALLY generous at a 9.8.

Anyway he didn't know if grading standards have declined. I have no idea either I've only just delved into the CGC books.

I've seen people dumping the red labels - they are a difficult sell, as most don't know what they are - purple, green, red....., warning bells!

This may have been asked before, but I did a search and could not find any old threads about this.

My question is, would you put a premium on a comic that is in an old "modern" red label CGC case? I have seen some auctions where the seller is trying to get a premium due to the old red label. I assume the theory is that either the red label itself is rare, and therefore worth more money, or that CGC's grading was more conservative back then (1999 to 2000/2001?). Therefore, a red label 9.8 is more likely to re-grade as a blue label 9.9 or 10, etc.

I have a few old red label books and was considering having them re-holdered (just because I find the blue universal label to be more attractive), but not if they are worth more money as red labels.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

On a few occasions I've seen it listed by sellers 'old red label - get it regraded' and I have had a couple of red label books and in my opinion, they're still at the original grade Some may be better or worse but I think it's one of those urban legends unless someone else can convince me otherwise

Phil

Anyway he didn't know if grading standards have declined. I have no idea either I've only just delved into the CGC books.

There are no grading standards. It's whatever they feel like on any given day. The CGC give new meaning to the term inconsistency. Never ever buy a graded book without seeing it in person, large enough scans, or a decent return policy as no two X.Xs are created equal.

It makes me laugh when I see this blurb on their website.

“...all mail order buyers can now order with unprecedented confidence!”

— Vince Olivia

Castle Comics & Card Co.

Not as much as this one, but it's close.

“...the level of commitment to customer service and turnaround on graded comics has surpassed all of my expectations.”

— Vincent Zurzolo

Metropolis Comics

I was asking someone who's been into collecting much longer than me if CGC grading standards has every declined over time. One of the books I just got has a very visible ding on the bottom spine corner and we both thought it was REALLY generous at a 9.8.

CGC's grading standards have had peaks and valleys. I've seen some 9.8s that shouldn't be 9.4s. Your comfort level of grading standards will help guide you in terms of CGC's current grading. I think the general consensus is that they are in the "middle"--not too generous and not too strict currently. A few months ago I'd say "loose".

Of course, I'm only judging by handful of books I see here and form a general consensus. Your perception may vary.

My friend and I are long time hobbyists and we both submitted books to CGC at the last Comic-Con and we both thought that they were much too tough in grading our books after we just got them back last week. EJR

Another thing to consider about the old red label Moderns is that the books have a greater chance of suffering from SCS. The holder redesign didn't happen until a few years later

sorry for the ignorance, what's SCS?

Another thing to consider about the old red label Moderns is that the books have a greater chance of suffering from SCS. The holder redesign didn't happen until a few years later

slabbed comic syndrome--comic gets damaged while moving around in the inner web. Search the boards.

There are no grading standards. It's whatever they feel like on any given day. The CGC give new meaning to the term inconsistency. Never ever buy a graded book without seeing it in person, large enough scans, or a decent return policy as no two X.Xs are created equal.

It makes me laugh when I see this blurb on their website.

“...all mail order buyers can now order with unprecedented confidence!”

— Vince Olivia

Castle Comics & Card Co.

Not as much as this one, but it's close.

“...the level of commitment to customer service and turnaround on graded comics has surpassed all of my expectations.”

— Vincent Zurzolo

Metropolis Comics

yeah, I'm pretty sure Vinny and Metropolis get excellent customer service and super-quick turnaround times on books.... everyone else, not so much... :whistle:

slabbed comic syndrome--comic gets damaged while moving around in the inner web. Search the boards.

Thanks for the info. Tried the search first, "SCS" returned no results.

Thanks for the info. Tried the search first, "SCS" returned no results.

The old holder design allowed for the top/bottom edge of the comic to come into contact with the hard plastic, causing impact/damage to that area of the book

:lol: I definitely agree with you on that one.

:lol: I definitely agree with you on that one.

At least PQ doesn't vary.

:whistle: