• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 1 (no UPC) *case closed* doesn't exist

19 posts in this topic

It's a toy book.

I figured, but there is a book that's been found with no UPC code that isn't a toy book, so I figured it might be possible for it to be just some kind of error. Xmen 302. Which toy does the NM 1 come with?

I seem to remember a discussion about that X-Men 302. I believe it was an offer that came with the X-Men board game.

I think this was the game

x-menGame.jpg

*edit - Actually this wasn't the book that came with the game. It came with v2 #11, v1 #297, 303, 307

*edit #2 - Found a site that said it was a Pressman mail away variant, but, doesn't say where the mail in was from. Need to scroll down and click the 302b link.

X-Men 302 mail in

I didn't think there was such a thing as marvel whitmans? Do whitman reprints say "reprint" on them? The 302 does not. Exact same issue as the normal one sans the price tag and UPC code. I think most of those "Whitman type" 3 packs all have the normal price tags on them even if the UPC is missing... Like the early GiJoe ones. We know it's not a toy issue. No proof of a 3 pack. I thought it MIGHT be a toy book that was never released? A give away, due to no price, or just a plain old error. Nobody knows or has proof. 3-4 have been found thus far. If metarog can't figure it out, it's going to be tough to get answers.

The NM #1 was too late in the game to be from a blank UPC Whitman 3-pack-wasn't it? I suppose it could be a toy pack-in but that is not my forte so I'll leave that there. However, the scan itself looks a little suspicious to me. I'd like to see a pic of the whole comic with the outside edges showing as this could be from an ad or some such and not a scan of the actual comic.

As to the #302... I have considered that it might have something to do with the Pressman variants but other than the blank upc it shares with #303 there is no other evidence to support that. My copy did come in the same lot as a #297 Pressman though so maybe it was an errant copy that was sent as a bonus? Again, just a theory but until something concrete comes along that is all we have.

Maybe. But all the pressman books are different from the regular books. What's the back of your 302 look like? I suppose if it has a pressman back, mystery solved. Its just strange that it doesn't have a price on it. Why? I'm still thinking giveaway more than error. You might be on to something because the pressman books run 297-307. Plot thickens. As far as the NM 1 is concerned, i'd like to see a copy in a toy to confirm.

I seem to remember a discussion about that X-Men 302. I believe it was an offer that came with the X-Men board game.

I think this was the game

x-menGame.jpg

*edit - Actually this wasn't the book that came with the game. It came with v2 #11, v1 #297, 303, 307

*edit #2 - Found a site that said it was a Pressman mail away variant, but, doesn't say where the mail in was from. Need to scroll down and click the 302b link.

X-Men 302 mail in

It all depends on what the back of the 302 looks like. As I mentioned, theres no indication it's a second print on the inside of the book, and there's no gold on the cover, or silver, that is different from the regular one. My opinion? I don't think it has anything to do with pressman, but I could be wrong. Do they still exist as a company? Maybe they could rule it out?

The issue 302 definatly did not come with the X-Men alert game. Only reprints of 297, 303, 307, and 11 (90's run) came with that game. Nobody has any info on where the 302 originated at this point. I know that 3 packs were sold with issues around that time but they were first prints in the 3 pack so they had a UPC.

I actually collect toy books and I have never seen a blank UPC New Mutants. Is that New Mutants the picture of the actual book on hand? If the pic was copied off the Internet its more than likely just some stock image or image used a on trade volume cover or inner page.

The issue 302 definatly did not come with the X-Men alert game. Only reprints of 297, 303, 307, and 11 (90's run) came with that game. Nobody has any info on where the 302 originated at this point. I know that 3 packs were sold with issues around that time but they were first prints in the 3 pack so they had a UPC.

I actually collect toy books and I have never seen a blank UPC New Mutants. Is that New Mutants the picture of the actual book on hand? If the pic was copied off the Internet its more than likely just some stock image or image used a on trade volume cover or inner page.

I think you're probably right about the NM being some kind of stock photo. I contacted the guy who has it, and asked some questions. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

I'm guessing the white UPC is a 'chop. If you look at the scan at an angle, you can see that the "noise" runs all the way around what looks like a pure white box, which used to be where the Spider-Man image was.

Yep. You guys were right. Just a chopped image. Not sure why he used that picture for his lot, but needless to say, I passed on it. Now if we can figure out where the xmen 302 came from....