• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

For the record I had 3 sets and sold them all... Made a pretty good bank over it. Im sitting on none now other than my personal collection, but that will change soon, just because its a money making machine and people cant find them anywhere... There is no secret formula for making money here, you spend money to make money, just gotta know where to look..

On a side note, I sold all of my WD to cats who dont even collect comic books, so dont tell me that fans of the show wont by them.. Youre dead wrong. Their the ones that pay THE MOST.

Capitalism aside, I love comics. Im an old dinosaur, pretty much like most people that I run into in the LCS (sad I know), but Im different because I support the format and believe in evolution.

WALKING DEAD IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO COMIC BOOKS IN MY GENERATION

I've got nothing but apathy for anyone that doesnt want a comic book.. Any comic book.. to succeed

For the record I had 3 sets and sold them all... Made a pretty good bank over it. Im sitting on none now other than my personal collection, but that will change soon, just because its a money making machine and people cant find them anywhere... There is no secret formula for making money here, you spend money to make money, just gotta know where to look..

On a side note, I sold all of my WD to cats who dont even collect comic books, so dont tell me that fans of the show wont by them.. Youre dead wrong. Their the ones that pay THE MOST.

Capitalism aside, I love comics. Im an old dinosaur, pretty much like most people that I run into in the LCS (sad I know), but Im different because I support the format and believe in evolution.

I've got nothing but apathy for anyone that doesnt want a comic book.. Any comic book.. to succeed

Do we know what this word means?

I really don't think anyone believes this book will be worthless one day. No one wants the comic to fail.

For argument's sake, would any 10-year-old comics' #1 issue be considered unsuccessful if it was worth $100 raw in NM shape and, say, $350-500 in CGC 9.8?

:shrug:

-slym

Do we know what this word means?

inigo-montoya.jpg

-slym

My good friend still has 3 1/2 runs or so!

Maybe not 'the best', but surely one of the 'most important' if not the most important comics if our generation!

That`s the thing that may take it down. Too many COMIC BOOK speculators are putting their eggs in one basket, similar to the silver and gold bugs these last two years. I know people who lost thousands investing in silver and gold metals these last few years, as they thought gold and silver would never go down in value.

The Walking Dead for the first 48 issues and first two tv season were a breath of fresh air, but the TV show now and the last 48 issues plus have not been.

Both the Walking Dead comic book and TV show now seem to be just going thru the motions to keep the money machine cash cow going.

As I said before Walking Dead #1 is the keeper, and the rest are all suspect at best for investments long-term.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

My good friend still has 3 1/2 runs or so!

Maybe not 'the best', but surely one of the 'most important' if not the most important comics if our generation!

It really depends on your age. For me, Spiderman 121 and 122 are far more important than the Walking Dead. Again, my opinion.

I've said it before the only book I can compare this to is TMNT, solely due to its success and its inspiring climb from NOTHING. The only reason I prefer it over TMNT is because quiet frankly I never thought much about anthropomorphic comics.. But to me its kind of a repeat of the 80s B&W boom... We all know what happened to all the other titles and we all know where TMNT stands today... I was always into corben, wrightson, hernandez bros work and to me it all fits perfectly with WD..

But this is not news to me, some people just like the underdog and when the underdog makes it to the big league the vrey same fans hate him..

and to them I say.. Dont hate the player..

I've said it before the only book I can compare this to is TMNT, solely due to its success and its inspiring climb from NOTHING. The only reason I prefer it over TMNT is because quiet frankly I never thought much about anthropomorphic comics.. But to me its kind of a repeat of the 80s B&W boom... We all know what happened to all the other titles and we all know where TMNT stands today... I was always into corben, wrightson, hernandez bros work and to me it all fits perfectly with WD..

But this is not news to me, some people just like the underdog and when the underdog makes it to the big league the vrey same fans hate him..

erm ... not sure what you're talking about

Okayyyyyyy...

What's there not to understand? TMNT is WD because TMNT was NOTHING but then became successful even though anthropomorphic comics aren't that great, quiet frankly, and we all know what happened to the 80s black and white boom because everyone likes the underdog until the underdog becomes the overdog and then everyone hates the player. Therefore, TMNT = WD. Easy peezy.

What's there not to understand? TMNT is WD because TMNT was NOTHING but then became successful even though anthropomorphic comics aren't that great, quiet frankly, and we all know what happened to the 80s black and white boom because everyone likes the underdog until the underdog becomes the overdog and then everyone hates the player. Therefore, TMNT = WD. Easy peezy.

O, then I did understand! (:

Sounds like you could say the same with Youngblood.

So the amount of hype generated over a comic is what dictates a comics contribution to the art form? I disagree. Chromium Liefeld variants are garbage gimmicks. The contents of Walking Dead is good, but certainly not the best of my generation. In my opinion not the best thing I've read this year either. And the only change Walking Dead has brought to comics is now people speculate on Image #1's regardless of quality. Exactly like they did when Youngblood became a hit. This isn't really a contribution to comics. Not a good one anyway.

In my opinion, the "most important" comic of my generation was the Father Tree Press reprints of Elfquest sold at Waldenbooks. Before then comics weren't really sold at mainstream bookstores. They had half a shelf, mostly populated by Garfield and Far Side and other newspaper strip collections. The Marvel and DC TPB market was dismal. The small press TPB market did worse than the small press floppy market, which by comparison to mainstream comics was already dismal. But Elfquest was sold in the bookstore in the mall. Their TPB sold a million copies out of bookstores, and today every chain bookstore and most mom and pop bookstores will dedicate at least one wall to comics, TPB's, and manga. TPB's are a major source of revenue for just about every publisher, and nearly everything published in floppy will get collected and reissued. There is an entire new market of comic reader who probably has never been to a comic shop and buy strictly trades. Every public library in America is fully stocked with TPB's. This is all thanks to Elfquest proving there is an actual market for reprint collections and distribution outside the pre established comfort zone of the industry.

Thanks to Walking Dead we have coat tail riding imitation zombie comics, Image is now saturating Previews with titles they know will be cancelled in a year the same way Marvel and DC have been doing forever, and more comic convention attendees than ever don't give a about comics and are attending for some TV show panel.

Edited by dupont2005

When the television series is cancelled the true test of this comic book's value will start. Until then buy WD #1 if you like it and enjoy the ride. Just don't consider it an 'investment' and you will be okay. Will some 'speculators' get hurt when the bubble eventually pops? Yes, they always do. Unfortunately I have learned that you can present all the evidence you want to a 'speculator' and they will continue to view the subject matter through the spectacles of rose colored glasses. Therefore, all I can say is time will tell. I can cite many other examples similar to this, but it just serves to foster additional arguments about speculation. As a result there really is no point.

When the television series is cancelled the true test of this comic book's value will start. Until then buy WD #1 if you like it and enjoy the ride. Just don't consider it an 'investment' and you will be okay. Will some 'speculators' get hurt when the bubble eventually pops? Yes, they always do. Unfortunately I have learned that you can present all the evidence you want to a 'speculator' and they will continue to view the subject matter through the spectacles of rose colored glasses. Therefore, all I can say is time will tell. I can cite many other examples similar to this, but it just serves to foster additional arguments about speculation. As a result there really is no point.

Well put; however, even this will anger someone who reads this thread.

I am not sure why, but WD fans are some of the most blindly devoted enthusiasts I have ever encountered.

Edited by rfoiii