• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

It's a $1200 book. Rare, first issue with a low run, kicked off by the series, will outlast the series, you will have zombie fans and have had hardcore zombie fans since 1968, plus you have people that paid too much to let it go for pennies and these holdouts will sustain a higher price than if it were in free fall. There will always be a demand for it.

They why isn't anyone buying the #1s at $1,700 and $1,600 on the boards? Surely there are pleny of willing "hardcore zombie fans" and Dead-heads on here? Aren't we at the peak of the show where there should be a ridiculous number of people buying this coveted book?

It is a bit of stretch that there are enough "hardcore zombie fans" to sustain the book and that just because they like zombies, they will pay over $1,000 for a comic….

FYI - your premise on market pricing in relation to how you view people's willingness to sell relative to an arbitrary price point and their individual investment is patently false. Market pricing is set by supply and demand - and believe me when demand drops (since supply is fixed), so will prices. People sell things for less than they bought them for ALL the time, on everything, everyday.

(shrug)

Even if you ignore everything else, "always is a long time…"

Not sure yet..........any opinions on a date (shrug)

Within a year after the show is cancelled. It's the way of the (current) world - anyone still talking about a defunct series a year after it's gone is looked at with disdain and a bit of fear. :gossip:

Not sure yet..........any opinions on a date (shrug)

Within a year after the show is cancelled. It's the way of the (current) world - anyone still talking about a defunct series a year after it's gone is looked at with disdain and a bit of fear. :gossip:

Maybe............

clap_disdain.gif

Here is what is not going to happen after the show ends.

1. WD #1-9, 19 ,27 will rise in value

2. WD #1-9, 19 ,27 values will burst into becoming cheap books

What will happen after the shows ends is their values over the next 1-2 years after will deflate to a true realistic value, but still retaining a good portion of their TV show value. Lets say 60-65%.

WD #1 is the Hulk #181 of the BA, TNMT #1 of the CA, and now the mega book of Modern Age.

So some of you who think you will be able to buy a WD #1 CGC 9.8 for as low as $100-$600 bucks after the show ends please stop saying opinions that are very stupid.

recorded high = $3,750 (was in 2013)

average price of 2013 = $2,139 or 57% of high

current low price I have seen = $1,600 (fyi no one bought it) or 43% of high

book has dropped 67% versus high and 25% versus average of 2013

$600 = 38% of $1,600 => While an aggressive forecast in a year, not all that "stupid" long term.

(shrug)

Try to be a little nicer with your insults.

:grin:

^^

What will happen after the shows ends is their values over the next 1-2 years after will deflate to a true realistic value, but still retaining a good portion of their TV show value. Lets say 60-65%.

WD #1 is the Hulk #181 of the BA, TNMT #1 of the CA, and now the mega book of Modern Age.

So some of you who think you will be able to buy a WD #1 CGC 9.8 for as low as $100-$600 bucks after the show ends please stop saying opinions that are very stupid.

$600 = 38% of $1,600 => While an aggressive forecast in a year, not all that "stupid" long term.

(shrug)

^^

Waits for you to see how silly the number crunching of the above is.

What I don't understand is the amount of faith people have in this book. It's one thing to say that It will always be a $1,000 book, but It blows my mind when people treat the WD as If it's going to have the same impact and longevity as Star Wars.

No one knows the future for certain. My personal WD story is that I really really thought the book was neat. Though a little late to the game to pick them up for cover price, originally on eBay I got #s 1-5 as a lot for about $175. All graded out decent enough, in 9.4 or 9.6 -- it was when #1 first crested into the area of $1000 that I said (for me) "this is goofy" and decided to sell, have no regrets, tho I still think it's a neat book and enjoy reading the trades. :)

HAD I known the future for certain, it's a shame I didn't know of the book when it first came out -- probably would've picked up multiples of #1. Ah well, what my wallet doesn't know won't hurt it.

(shrug)

^^

Waits for you to see how silly the number crunching of the above is.

You're right. Math was never my strong point.

No one knows the future for certain. My personal WD story is that I really really thought the book was neat. Though a little late to the game to pick them up for cover price, originally on eBay I got #s 1-5 as a lot for about $175. All graded out decent enough, in 9.4 or 9.6 -- it was when #1 first crested into the area of $1000 that I said (for me) "this is goofy" and decided to sell, have no regrets, tho I still think it's a neat book and enjoy reading the trades. :)

HAD I known the future for certain, it's a shame I didn't know of the book when it first came out -- probably would've picked up multiples of #1. Ah well, what my wallet doesn't know won't hurt it.

I actually bought the book when It first came out, and I always wish I had purchased more copies. I guess at the time It wouldn't have made any sense for me to do that though.

Not speculating will save you more money than it makes you.

I regret not picking up multiples of comics that I *knew* would be worth it (like Ultimate SM #1 White) but it also saved me almost entirely from the 90's stupidity (I dropped out early and never bought a multiple) and not wasting any of my money.

Just figured i would update with a bit of sales data:

Sold a #3 cgc 9.8 for $500 today

Got $600 for a #19 9.8 a month or so ago

Got $200 for a raw NM+ #53 (wha?) but the cgc 9.8 i marked at $300 hasn't gone anywhere. (probably a bit on the high side on that one atm)

Also, was offered a #1 cgc 9.8 white at $1500 but turned it down because it was probably the biggest gift 9.8 i have ever seen. Literally 12-15 spine ticks. I would think it was over graded in a 9.4 holder honestly. Otherwise, i would def. pay $1500 for a legit 9.8 black, but i doubt there are many sellers at that point yet. I'm thinking after this season it's a possibility. My 2 pennies.

Just figured i would update with a bit of sales data:

Sold a #3 cgc 9.8 for $500 today

Got $600 for a #19 9.8 a month or so ago

Got $200 for a raw NM+ #53 (wha?) but the cgc 9.8 i marked at $300 hasn't gone anywhere. (probably a bit on the high side on that one atm)

Also, was offered a #1 cgc 9.8 white at $1500 but turned it down because it was probably the biggest gift 9.8 i have ever seen. Literally 12-15 spine ticks. I would think it was over graded in a 9.4 holder honestly. Otherwise, i would def. pay $1500 for a legit 9.8 black, but i doubt there are many sellers at that point yet. I'm thinking after this season it's a possibility. My 2 pennies.

So with the WD 1 CGC 9.8's selling at around $1500, I think that's about a $1,000 price drop from about a year ago.

Edited by Darkowl