• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the ultimate destiny for your comic books?

17 posts in this topic

Hi. A guy I know a little bit from work told me something a few days ago in a serious manner that sounded very unusual to me. He told me that when he dies, he would like to literally be buried with some of his favorite comic books. Although, as he is only in his late 20s, he has plenty of time to change his mind.

Are any of you so attached to some of your books that you feel the same way? I would not ridicule anyone that does in any way. I respect the different choices that people make, but I did find this an interesting statement.

That got me thinking. What IS the ultimate or final destiny for your comics? I'm sure that many of you buy and keep what you like, with no actual plans for what you will do with them in the future. But I bet there are still many of you who have specific ideas about where your comics will end up, and when?

Some ideas I can think of:

Let your kids/spouse/friends inherit them

Leave them to a charity

Sell them during retirement as part as an investment portfolio

Sell them years down the road to buy a house/pay for college or other large expense

Sell them "whenever" to buy "whatever"

Keep them until you die and be buried with them

Keep churning them as you get bored of old ones so that you can buy new ones

...etc. and there are many more I'm sure

I'm not talking about next week, but waaaay down the road, what will happen to your books?

And on a related subject. Is your comic book collection your favorite material posession or do you hold one or more in even higher esteem (car, house, boat, other collection....)

------Sid

By the time I get around to selling, I'll likely have to melt down the plastic to get anything out of them, so I really don't worry about it too much.

Sam's Plastic Recycling - We Buy Slabs!!

I have always said that when it came time to put my kids through College, I would sell them to take care of the expense. I really hope I don't have too, but if I have no other way to pay for it then education comes first thumbsup2.gif

Dec 5,2013 My entire collection goes up on whatever the future equivilent of e-Bay wil be. My comics,my coins,my Dali's,my Peter Max's,my Schomburgs and my beloved Jensen-Healy.Everything. Have no idea what it will bring,nor what I'll do with the money,but assuming I live that long,thats the plan. Start putting away some bucks now,cause they'll be a whole lot of one of a kind items.

Strange you should ask as I just updated my will recently to state the collection goes to my children, if I somehow die without having any, they are to be sold and the money splits up between the Polio Foundation, American Heart Association, and Alzheimers Association.

Brian

Strange you should ask as I just updated my will recently to state the collection goes to my children, if I somehow die without having any, they are to be sold and the money splits up between the Polio Foundation, American Heart Association, and Alzheimers Association.

Brian

Brian, sounds like a nice plan but did you make arrangements as to how your comics will be sold if there is no children? What if your will states where the funds will go but nobody knows how to sell them, what they are worth, etc. ?

1966,its a light almost powder blue.Theres almost nothing original left to it,as my brother-in-law rescued it from a backyard and restored it,using mostly TR4 and TR6 parts. My sister made him give it up when they married,and I picked it up for a song. Of course,its not registered and gets driven about 50 miles a year,but its just biding its time.Its not a car for NYC driving.

My Dali's are mostly wood-cuts of Dantes Trilogy,with a few pencil and ink sketches.

Peter Max is my favorite artist and I've been buying his work for last twenty years,much of it when he was in one of his low periods.In 1987/88,he was out of vogue and was one of the money men behind the first Honeymooners comics.He showed up at one of our retail meetings and we struck up a relationship. Can't say we are friends,but we are well aquainted.

Hi. A guy I know a little bit from work told me something a few days ago in a serious manner that sounded very unusual to me. He told me that when he dies, he would like to literally be buried with some of his favorite comic books. Although, as he is only in his late 20s, he has plenty of time to change his mind.

Are any of you so attached to some of your books that you feel the same way? I would not ridicule anyone that does in any way. I respect the different choices that people make, but I did find this an interesting statement.

That got me thinking. What IS the ultimate or final destiny for your comics? I'm sure that many of you buy and keep what you like, with no actual plans for what you will do with them in the future. But I bet there are still many of you who have specific ideas about where your comics will end up, and when?

Some ideas I can think of:

Let your kids/spouse/friends inherit them

Leave them to a charity

Sell them during retirement as part as an investment portfolio

Sell them years down the road to buy a house/pay for college or other large expense

Sell them "whenever" to buy "whatever"

Keep them until you die and be buried with them

Keep churning them as you get bored of old ones so that you can buy new ones

...etc. and there are many more I'm sure

I'm not talking about next week, but waaaay down the road, what will happen to your books?

And on a related subject. Is your comic book collection your favorite material posession or do you hold one or more in even higher esteem (car, house, boat, other collection....)

------Sid

For me, given that I am here at retirement age, one BIG auction, wether it is Heritage Auctions or whatever the most successful outlet is. If I'm no longer here, I plan to give some key books to collector/friends and leave instructions on how to best liquidate the remaining items. Sure hope I'm still here then, would suck to work your whole life looking forward to retirement & then expire before reaching that point! sorry.gif

Maybe we need to start a thread called:

"Wh the Heck is Going to Buy all this Stuff in 20-30 Years?

That's an easy one: Collectors!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Pulp Magazines stopped being printed in the early 1950's, yet they are still collected today. Even with production runs falling there's no reason to believe there will be no interest in a past medium. Just MHO!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Pulp Magazines stopped being printed in the early 1950's, yet they are still collected today. Even with production runs falling there's no reason to believe there will be no interest in a past medium. Just MHO!

Prepare to be ripped apart by JoeC... or at least be referred to as a delusional fanboy confused-smiley-013.gif Don't try to fight it... he's never wrong...

Prepare to be ripped apart by JoeC... or at least be referred to as a delusional fanboy confused-smiley-013.gif Don't try to fight it... he's never wrong...

If there's that much "Doom & Gloom" I'll buy him out right now; 50% for the Golden, 25% for the Silver & .10 each for the rest,...some exceptions will apply,..! thumbsup2.gif