• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 signed by Robert Kirkman

103 posts in this topic

The one I received came sealed with a big sticker over the back flap. If they were all done that way in front of the witness at the time of the signing, then effectively as long as that seal has not been broken your chain of custody hasn't either. Not that it should be taken to that extreme but does that help?

Image/Skybound sent out 500 signed Walking Dead 100's last week. They have been signed by Robert Kirkman on 7/17/12 and have been accounted for and witnessed. Therefore they are eligible for Signature Series.

Email mbalent@cgccomics.com with any questions.

Thanks.

So this signing sets a new precedence now. The Signature Series program no longer requires chain of custody directly following a signing. We can get books witnessed at a con and carry it ourselves for additional signatures at later dates.

...or were the rules bent just for this one?

Every single one of the "Lucille" covers were signed by Kirkman & witnessed.

We did 10 Universal blue labels specifically for Skybound. There are no others.

Wait. So there are 10 unsigned copies of this book out there?

There's also a wonderfull 1-800 CGC number that you can call and ask all of these questions.

Adonis, you need to come up off it. The public elucidation of this matter is a good thing. Many people can be made aware of the circumstances at once instead dozens of calls being made to CGC.

This seems pretty simple to me. It sounds like CGC was told how many copies were printed, and accounted for all of those copies. Then they witnessed Robert Kirkman sign all of those copies except for 10. As such, other than the 10 blue label copies, there is no way for an unwitnessed copy to turn up unless CGC had been misled as to the number of copies printed (which is highly unlikely given the parties involved). Granted someone could crack out one of the 10 blue label copies and forge Robert Kirkman's autograph on it, but it would take a total dumbo to try to do that. Given that there are only 10 unsigned copies, I imagine they will sell at a premium to the signed ones, so why would anyone want to forge a signature to reduce the value?

Would have been nice if they would have gone straight to grading and slabbing after the signing, so that way the condition would have been preserved a bit better, especially since it's a black cover.

Looks like they got shipped to Diamond, then to the comic shops, and from there to CGC unless it made a stop on eBay along the way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a lot of travel.

So if I get one raw and hold on to it for Adlard to sign, would the label say "Signed by Kirkman on 7/17/12 and Adlard on _____"?

This seems pretty simple to me. It sounds like CGC was told how many copies were printed, and accounted for all of those copies. Then they witnessed Robert Kirkman sign all of those copies except for 10. As such, other than the 10 blue label copies, there is no way for an unwitnessed copy to turn up unless CGC had been misled as to the number of copies printed (which is highly unlikely given the parties involved). Granted someone could crack out one of the 10 blue label copies and forge Robert Kirkman's autograph on it, but it would take a total dumbo to try to do that. Given that there are only 10 unsigned copies, I imagine they will sell at a premium to the signed ones, so why would anyone want to forge a signature to reduce the value?
Maybe. Maybe not. But that only reduces the likelihood that someone cracks it out. How does that weigh on what happens if the book is cracked and signed by Kirkman?

The explanation that ALL of the copies of this book were accounted for and signed and witnessed was the underpinning to the idea that the book could travel around unslabbed and still be eligible for a yellow label. The information that there are unsigned copies appears, imho, to invalidate that reasoning. Until someone points me to the sale of an unsigned copy, I'm not sure I even buy the idea that a blue would be worth more than a yellow.

Maybe. Maybe not. But that only reduces the likelihood that someone cracks it out. How does that weigh on what happens if the book is cracked and signed by Kirkman?

The explanation that ALL of the copies of this book were accounted for and signed and witnessed was the underpinning to the idea that the book could travel around unslabbed and still be eligible for a yellow label. The information that there are unsigned copies appears, imho, to invalidate that reasoning. Until someone points me to the sale of an unsigned copy, I'm not sure I even buy the idea that a blue would be worth more than a yellow.

lol. Yeah a blue that we now know is limited to 10 and the RAREST WD variant technically ever will be worth less than the signed counterpart that has 500 copies out there.

lol. Yeah a blue that we now know is limited to 10 and the RAREST WD variant technically ever will be worth less than the signed counterpart that has 500 copies out there.

At least you were able to ignore the rest of the completely valid discussion.

this book does not exist

Guest Reader
Image/Skybound sent out 500 signed Walking Dead 100's last week. They have been signed by Robert Kirkman on 7/17/12 and have been accounted for and witnessed. Therefore they are eligible for Signature Series.

Email mbalent@cgccomics.com with any questions.

Thanks.

So this signing sets a new precedence now. The Signature Series program no longer requires chain of custody directly following a signing. We can get books witnessed at a con and carry it ourselves for additional signatures at later dates.

...or were the rules bent just for this one?

Every single one of the "Lucille" covers were signed by Kirkman & witnessed.

We did 10 Universal blue labels specifically for Skybound. There are no others.

Will there be a reversal of the decision to give raw signed copies automatic SS authentication now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200809561499#ht_1360wt_1271

129242.jpg.1a37db9f09143d3c05ff95ab35fba67b.jpg

Guest Reader
stock-photo-head-in-the-sand-78230443.jpg

Fixed. Its really too bad since we are both on the same side here. You're just too willing to accept anything without question.

If you were on the same side, you would of been happy that CGC is doing something special for dealers, that otherwise, would of never been done.

That's being part of the solution, NOT THE PROBLEM

If you were on the same side, you would of been happy that CGC is doing something special for dealers, that otherwise, would of never been done.

Absolutely wrong. What makes the Yellow label awesome, and why I have pumped tens of thousands of dollars into purchasing them and having them created is because they have set of rules that give you the confidence to know they are authentic.

Not COAs, and not certifications from a bunk outfit like PGX. I have been very vocal about not extending the Yellow label to any other situations, including going head to head with Stein, who probably has the largest yellow label collection in the world.

Clap your hands and say "Oh, goodie goodie" if you want to. I am going to try and make sure the Yellow label program stays at the absolute pinnacle of autograph certification programs. And I applaud anyone that does the same, as long as it remains civil and professional.

Guest Reader

If you can't see the problem with unsigned raw copies out there, I can't help you. I really don't understand why you refuse to think objectively on this.

Does the label matter more to you than its validity?

Absolutely wrong. What makes the Yellow label awesome, and why I have pumped tens of thousands of dollars into purchasing them and having them created is because they have set of rules that give you the confidence to know they are authentic.

Not COAs, and not certifications from a bunk outfit like PGX. I have been very vocal about not extending the Yellow label to any other situations, including going head to head with Stein, who probably has the largest yellow label collection in the world.

Clap your hands and say "Oh, goodie goodie" if you want to. I am going to try and make sure the Yellow label program stays at the absolute pinnacle of autograph certification programs. And I applaud anyone that does the same, as long as it remains civil and professional.

:golfclap: Oh, goodie goodie lol

BTW, unless that book turns out to be a Photoshopped scam, my view has changed for this book. When it appeared that no unsigned copies other than the 10 blue labels existed, I was OK with allowing any copies that were submitted to be SS. But now that there is at least one unsigned copy that made it through, it either means that there were more copies printed than had been reported to CGC, or all the copies were not accounted for after the signing. Either way it calls into question the authenticity of the signature on any of the books.