• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are all 9.8's created equal

18 posts in this topic

I recently got in a book I got off ebay that is a CGC 9.8. The bottom left corner has a little ding in it but the rest of the book looks great.

I took it over to my local comic store and he said if I had it regraded there is almost no chance i would get a 9.8, he doesn't understand how it got that grade in the first place.

I only recently learned about the shaken comic syndrome. I don't know much about it, weren't the holders changed at some point to eliminate that? This book was slabbed on 07/22/2011 according to the census, and my comic store guy says it looks like it was not shaken it just looks like the graders were asleep at the wheel that day.

So is it possible the 1 ding in the bottom but everything else perfect make it a 9.8 and my local comic store guy is being to harsh? Did I possiby get a 9.4 (that's what he thinks it is)? If you had this book and were to ever sell it in the future, would you feel justified in selling it as a 9.8 because that's what the tag says?

I'm new to CGC books, I've only just started getting them in the past month and I don't know what to think about this one in paticular.

It's funny you should post this as yesterday my wife was helping me dust the CGC's when she noticed a quarter inch spine break of one of my 9.8's, ashamed to say I'd never noticed it but you get them - you put them away! doh!

So what the macaroni was that doing getting a 9.8?

Like I said, my local comic store guy doesn't think it was shaken, just a poor job grading. I am wondering if that 1 flaw is ok and still leaves it at a 9.8, or was it shaken, or did they do a bad job grading it?

ya i didn't think it looked shaken either, but is my comic store guy right and it's at best a 9.4 if they were to regrade it?

i know you can't see the whole book cause i have no scanner so it's hard to say, but the rest of the book looks as good as any other 9.8 I have. just this corner issue.

It's borderline, IMO. The rest of the book must be nice.

"9.8" doesn't mean "no defects." It means "a couple of tiny defects."

If thats the only issue, 9.8 isnt out of the question.

+1

At WORST that looks like it would knock it down to 9.6..I think that's probably the grade I'd personally give that book based on the scans. But I do agree it's possible, if the rest of the book is perfect I can see it getting a 9.8.

That definitely doesn't look like it's suffered from shaking...that looks like honest shelf/box wear to me.

The 9.8 grade DOES allow for noticeable defects. I can always find the issue on a 9.8 book.

Yeah, 9.4 is a bit harsh on the estimate of a resub. I agree with Joey - I think it got curled over when putting it into the slab, and it's much more pronounced.

Over in hey buddy can you spare a grade, there's a thread called 'time machine'. A guy is looking at how to get a 9.9 out of some unopened spawn cases. Have a look he has a 9.9 with a corner that looks like yours.

I don't have a scanner, but here's a photo from 2 different angles of the bottom left corner. The rest of the book looks like I'd expect for a 9.8, really good.

What do you think?

2ztdkxh.jpg

I think that it's a 9.8 and not a 9.9 or a 10.0

9.8's are allowed very small defects. They are not perfect books.

Below is something I posted on the size allowed of miswraps but you can apply the same logic to many types of defects and it shows that even in 9.8 books you are allowed a couple of tiny defects. Some people might disagree but this is my best understanding of what CGC allows in 9.8:

CGC has not printed their grading criteria anywhere but this is the closest thing I have seen to it. I've posted this chart many times. It comes from the Overstreet Grading Guide. I find it invaluable in learning how to grade comics.

Where'd you get that info from Roy? I've never heard that before. And really, that TKJ has 99% of the spine on the front cover at the bottom, I wouldn't have thought that would be allowed in 9.8 if they took miswrap into consideration.

Part of it is from me reverse engineering CGC's grading standards through 1000's of submissions, some of it from conversations with CGC employees and some of it from reading the Overstreet grading guide (2nd edition).

In the grading guide there is a chart and a graph that shows how many defects and what size of defects are allowed in grade.

If you look at the graph, it shows that you are allowed 1 "larger" or 2 "smaller" defects in NM/M grade of 1/16" - 1/8" in size. I took that to mean that you can have two 1/16" or one 1/8" defect on an otherwise perfect book and the book will grade a 9.8.

That would include a miswrap of up to roughly 1/8"

A miswrap larger than 1/8" to 1/4" would drop it to the 9.6 range.

If you look at 9.9, you'll note that only one defect of 1/16" in size is allowed on an otherwise perfect book...so a perfect book with a 1/16" miswrap would drop the book into a 9.9 grade.

A perfect book with no miswrap would not drop the grade.

GradingScale1.jpg

GradingScale2.jpg

My favorite part of that book. That scale also explains what a lot of people mistakenly refer to as "ambiguity" in CGC's grading standards.

Yup. There is method among the seeming madness. It takes a little effort and explaining to understand it but once you do, lots of things become crystal clear that used to seem ambiguous.