• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

auction1f-7.jpg

:o(worship) This is a 'work of art' not a 'piece of art'. Amazing. Thanks for posting this. Awesome thread.

The bottom half is wonderful indeed, spectacular really. In all fairness though don't you find the top half overrendered though? IMO the piece would have been 'more' with a little 'less'. Sometimes on these frankenstein plates in my probably very unpopular opinion Berni didn't know what to leave out. He sure put a lot in though.

Its a great, great piece, but.... I think he would have benefited from making the focal point tight and letting the edges of the piece be looser or at least less detailed. The way frazetta did with his oil paintings.

Not everything increased in value, which is one of the interesting aspects of this retrospective . . . you can see what soared and what never took off the ground.

yeah. interesting to see the frazetta or close-to-frazetta asking prices back then for borises. The gap has certainly widened.

auction1f-7.jpg

:o(worship) This is a 'work of art' not a 'piece of art'. Amazing. Thanks for posting this. Awesome thread.

The bottom half is wonderful indeed, spectacular really. In all fairness though don't you find the top half overrendered though? IMO the piece would have been 'more' with a little 'less'. Sometimes on these frankenstein plates in my probably very unpopular opinion Berni didn't know what to leave out. He sure put a lot in though.

Its a great, great piece, but.... I think he would have benefited from making the focal point tight and letting the edges of the piece be looser or at least less detailed. The way frazetta did with his oil paintings.

I can see that, but here is why I disagree. I think that the extreme detail in the background adds to it as being vast and therefore enhances the contrast of the Monster as being small or as the notes indicate despondent. It is almost as if the nothingness is towering over him and therefore adds to the poignancy of the piece IMO.

I know Scott William's piece for example is just a POW pop OMG example as it the plate in the laboratory. But for me there is something about this plate that emotes the feeling of what it means to be seen as a Monster from the the perspective of the Monster himself.

2c

thanks for posting these Terry.

Regarding the potential over-rendering on the top 1/2 of the Frankenstein plate:

As Wrightson was emulating 1920s Franklin Booth (worship) for his entire Frankenstein magnum opus, I do not find Wrightson's pen and ink excessive at all. Seems like Frankenstein may have been running thru a heavy rainforest so there were swamps, moss, and tall grass all over. Makes sense to me. (thumbs u

For youngsters like bronty, refer to the dense European :gossip: forests of the Harry Potter movies and dvd's.

Edited by aardvark88

I agree with Bronty in that the monster is less of a focal point with so much line work around him but I think Wrightson's point was to be as realistic as possible (ala aardvark's explanation).

And as large and menacing as the monster is, nature completely overtakes him and shrouds him into this small, tortured thing lost in the middle of nowhere.

Although I do agree with many of the observations about how it could have been different I personally love it the way it is.

I'd love to own a Wrightson plate from this book one day.