• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Some of those prices are mind-blowing.

If I were to take my pick of five items, I'd go with:

1. Frankenstein graveyard plate - Wrightson

2. Flash Gordon/Jungle Jim Sunday from 1939 - Alex Raymond

3. Shock Suspenstories #6 -Wood

4. Swamp Thing #1 cover - Wrightson

5. Tales from the Crypt #40 - Davis (sold for $1,512 in 1983, sold for $47,800 in 2009)

That Batman #229 cover by Adams is really sweet too, especially at $700.

How do you think I feel? I've got a life time of choices-I-shoulda-made behind me?

What's even more amazing about this list is that Sandy had sold off most of his collection privately on his own and this was what was "left over."

auction1l-2.jpg

And this is just the Wrightson stuff. You should have seen the Adams art Sandy had before he sold it all as well.

Hey Terry, what year was the this Cochran/Blatt art sale listed? Must have been '83 or '84? My memory is that the last I saw of Sandy was at San Diego '82.

Thanks for posting these by the way. Really fun to look at, but a little frustrating for those of us who were collectors back then that we didn't take better advantage of what was available at the time. Hind sight (and an extremely limited income) and all that...

Scott

The auction date is clearly stated when I post a scan of the auction catalog (I post a scan of the cover, followed by selected highlights from that issue).

Everything is done sequentially.

Russ carried Neal Adams covers throughout a number of auctions (presumably from the stuff he bought from Sandy). Keep watching and more Adams cover art will be scanned . . .