• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

auction1e-7.jpg

Item # 33, the Neal Adams Superman cover, failed to sell (no bid at $150).

Shortly afterwards, Russ offered the cover for direct sale at $75.

I bought it!

Later on, I sold the cover to a UK collector for £250 - 350 (forget the exact price).

I would regret this sale, but later on I managed to buy a replacement Neal Adams cover that I much prefer to my old Supes.

auction1b-7.jpg

For this auction, I wasn't able to pursue any EC art due to other priorities.

The Weird Fantasy # 14 was something I really wanted to bid on but couldn't.

In 2010 I was finally able to acquire this much wanted cover.

Here's the story from my CAF . . .

"My favourite Al Feldstein WEIRD FANTASY cover! First time I saw the cover to this comic-book was at a Liverpool (UK) comic mart back in the late 1970s. At the time, I was a newcomer to EC (which I'd recently discovered, then, via the East Coast Comix reprint series).

Anyway, back to the story of the Liverpool comic mart . . . as I was walking around the venue (the Blucoat Chambers), I noticed one of the atendees trying to sell a bunch of 1950s EC comics to a dealer. The dealer was trying to sound unimpressed/disenterested (in an effort to low-ball on the kind of prices he was willing to pay). I quietly stepped in and politely asked the guy with the ECs if he would consider selling his comics to me. Much to the displeasure of the dealer (if looks could kill . . . ), we moved away to another part of the venue to look at the books in detail and discuss an appropriate exchange of money. All the asking prices were very reasonable and I ended up buying most of the ECs. I also arranged to purchase others the seller had at home.

Amongst the selection I bought at the comic mart was WEIRD FANTASY # 14. Although EC was new to me, I'd already formed a definite preference for the Science-Fiction titles. Al Feldstein's cover art was a big pull for me, and I absolutely loved the cover image to that WF # 14 comic-book when I fist set eyes on it back at that 1970s venue! I'd grew up watching television repeats of all the old Science-Fiction movies of the 1950s - and Al's art was a perfect reflection of those times.

The image, showing a group of astronauts effecting a repair on their rocket ship is highly reminiscent of George Pal's DESTINATION MOON (1950), which no doubt influenced Al's science-fiction artwork, together with Chesley Bonestell's famous space paintings.

A journey beset by problems as man makes fledgling steps into the great unknown . . .

Several years later, during the early 1980s, when I'd progressed my EC addiction to buying original artwork from the Russ Cochran EC art auctions, I was looking forward to the time when the cover art to WF # 14 would become available for sale.

When the artwork eventually surfaced and Russ's Auction Catalog reached my doorstep, timing was bad . . . an emergency had arisen in which I needed to buy a new motorcycle; essential transportation for getting me to and from my workplace. I had to make a practical decision and in the process missed-out on a much-loved piece of art.

Fast forward to nearly three decades later . . . the cover art re-surfaced for sale via Steve Ferzoco (who was offering it out on behalf of the then owner)! But by this time, the market for vintage EC artwork had skyrocketed in demand and value - and I couldn't quite raise the funds needed to meet the asking price.

In recent weeks (at this time of writing), the cover re-appeared for sale once again - ironically, by the auctioneer who had sold it first time round . . . Russ Cochran! Surprisingly (at least to me), the cover failed to meet its reserve price. Unfortunately I wasn't quite in a postion to compete during the auction, but after I discovered that the artwork didn't sell I e-mailed Russ to ask if we could perhaps negotiate a deal on the cover (which had been on consignment from Don Lineberger, who tragically died several months after releasing this cover from his collection.). I put forward a proposal, and a little under a week later Russ got back to me with a counter-offer (that I was more than happy to agree to).

Funny things is . . . this past year I've been winding-down my collecting habits and selling off chunks of my collection to finance future plans that will have a lasting benefit for all of my family. Just when I think I'm over the addiction, something really special comes along and I know I have to make a concerted effort go for it (or face a future of regret). Nature of the beast, I guess . . .

Big, big thanks to Russ Cochran and Angie Meyer (Russ's right hand person) for making this wonderful acquisition possible Also special thanks to Steve Ferzoco (who first highlighted me to the cover's availability), Dan Forman (who offered some useful advice along the way) and Paul Stephenson (who pitched-in on organizing an overseas payment). Thank you guys . . . this is a cover from a long time ago, that I've long-admired. Although I've had to shed a number of prized possessions this past year, I somehow think that this particular piece of art is destined to remain with me."

And this story wouldn't be complete without a photo of the art:

WF14photo.jpg

auction1e-7.jpg

Item # 33, the Neal Adams Superman cover, failed to sell (no bid at $150).

Shortly afterwards, Russ offered the cover for direct sale at $75.

I bought it!

Later on, I sold the cover to a UK collector for £250 - 350 (forget the exact price).

I would regret this sale, but later on I managed to buy a replacement Neal Adams cover that I much prefer to my old Supes.

And here's my replacement Neal Adams cover:

Tomahawk-CAF.jpg

I know the feeling, Steve. The Weird Fantasy # 14 cover came to me at a much higher value than the $533 price Don originally paid . . . and the replacement Neal Adams (which I bought in recent years) was a lot more than my $75 Supes cover!

I've no complaints though. :)

Wonderful Terry, thanks for all the scans and stories. Neal Adams covers for $75 - $150, the stuff of legend!

-Anthony

You're welcome, Anthony.

Still got a ton of stuff to scan and post . . . will have something new tomorrow.

These are so much fun to see Terry. Not sure why I never subscribed to Russ's catalogs back then, except that I was a very poor art student, and as ridiculous as these prices seem now, they were state of the art money back then. I did get a lot of other art catalogs during these years (and earlier) and a few years ago posted key selections on my CAF. For those who can't get enough of these time capsules, here is a link to some more wonderful art at heartbreaking prices...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=42270

These are so much fun to see Terry. Not sure why I never subscribed to Russ's catalogs back then, except that I was a very poor art student, and as ridiculous as these prices seem now, they were state of the art money back then. I did get a lot of other art catalogs during these years (and earlier) and a few years ago posted key selections on my CAF. For those who can't get enough of these time capsules, here is a link to some more wonderful art at heartbreaking prices...

Yeah, prices were a lot lower back when - and so were wage packets! :grin:

I used to work lots of overtime to build funds-up for Russ's quarterly auctions.

Even if prices seemed high then, they're positively astronomical nowadays. :(

Yeah, prices were a lot lower back when - and so were wage packets! :grin:

I wish I could blame wages. For me it was a large dose of stupid. Sigh...

Allowing for three daughters and a wife, my per capita earnings are less now than in the years from 78 to 82. I could have bought. Sigh...

Still, no real regrets, just a little wistfulness.

Fun trip down memory lane Terry. As you well know, I bought a few things in these auctions and we later made a nice straight up trade. Wish I had been able to keep that Mud story by davis you bought back in the 12th catalog after our trade, but a downpayment on a house took priority. My real regret with that one was that I sold the 8 pages story to Mike Burkey who broke it up (which I knew going in of course) but I should have just done that myself and I likely could have been able to hold onto a page or two as I LOVED that story-but I needed the money sooner rather than later and sometimes fast cash comes with a discount!!

I never wrote down the prices like you did because Russ printed them the next issue anyway so there was a running list you could look at. I need to go back and look at which catalog I started bidding. I later went back and bought most of the ones I didn't get from subscribing, but the auction I remember was one with a Foster Tarzan and I would like to see which one that was. If its later than where you are in the sequence I hope you will print it as I have a small tale to tell on that one.

That X-Men 58 cover is spectacular...

Hi Benno

Good to hear from you.

I'm scanning these catalogs, sequentially, so there's every chance the Foster Tarzan you refer to will appear in due course (at which point you can step in with your story).

As mentioned, I'm concentrating on selected highlights, but Foster certainly rates as a must-have for my scanning efforts.

I intend to talk about our trade as and when VOH # 33 makes its debut, later on (it also ties-in with a feature I wrote for Comic-Book Marketplace).

Back with more stuff tomorrow . . .

Great thread so far Terry.

I was there at the time, and I assure younger readers that the prices seemed high at the time... Plenty of folks made $350 a week... so a Wood story was 2-3 weeks salary, at least.

However, compared with other commodities, comic art has increased much much more.

Cost Of Living 1983

How Much things cost in 1983

Yearly Inflation Rate USA3.22%

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1258

Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 11.00%

Average Cost of new house $82,600

Median Price Of and Existing Home $70,300

Average Income per year $21,070.00

Average Monthly Rent $335.00

Dodge RAM 50 Truck $5665.00

Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling

Average House Price 34,795