• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Terry - any context for why "Came the Dawn" by Wally Wood went for so much?

It's a classic Wood story, that Frazetta would later re-do for the Picto-Fiction (but didn't see print as those titles quickly folded). I can only imagine that the higher price was down to two collectors locking-horns in the bidding frenzy.

Happened to me, later on, when I was bidding on the Jack Davis story, "Whupped!". Usually, Davis war stories would go near minimum bid price. I loved that story so much that I submitted a top price of $1,400 (over three times the minimum bid amount). I didn't win the art, but later found out (by chance) that Anthony Smith beat me to the punch!

We both loved that story.

Way it goes, I suppose!

The Pogo Sunday is interesting, because while that particular Sunday would maybe go for slightly higher now, in general I think a nice Pogo Sunday can be had for that much or less in today's market. All the other art in the auctions seems as if it's appreciated astronomically.

The "we have met the enemy and he is us" however I would expect to get much, much more than that at auction today. Very awesome to see these, thank you do much for posting! It's very interesting for a young collector like me. I'm 23 and have only been collecting since 2008. Examples from the masters still elude me but I'm happy to see these older auction results. It allows me to fantasize at owning something like those pieces on my budget :)

auction1d-6.jpg

I bought item 13, "The End!", a 8-page lead story by Wally Wood for Weird Fantasy #13. My third Wood story and a particular favourite for me.

Years later, as my collecting interests shifted more and more towards cover examples, I traded this story for a Kurtzman Frontline Combat cover (which I still have and appears on my signature line).