• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Did the cover to Weird Science 20 ever turn up in one of these auctions ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Weird Science issues had all been sold before I subscribed to the Cochran Auctions. No doubt Russ handled the sale.

Did the cover to Weird Science 20 ever turn up in one of these auctions ? GOD BLESS....

The Weird Science issues had all been sold before I subscribed to the Cochran Auctions. No doubt Russ handled the sale.

.....thank you very much.....my eyesight isn't so good anymore, but I thought they were missing. This has to be one of my favorite threads in quite a while....your notes on the finals are priceless. GOD BLESS....

P.S. About wages......a fella was doing GOOD to bring home $ 800 a month back then......and for some illogical reason, OA wasn't an accepted niche yet.

.....thank you very much.....my eyesight isn't so good anymore, but I thought they were missing. This has to be one of my favorite threads in quite a while....your notes on the finals are priceless. GOD BLESS....

P.S. About wages......a fella was doing GOOD to bring home $ 800 a month back then......and for some illogical reason, OA wasn't an accepted niche yet.

As I mentioned earlier on, these auctions took place every three months. In between, I was busily working overtime to build-up funds to buy something.

Sometimes, if I needed to stretch funds, I would simply take out a bank loan.

As I mentioned earlier on, these auctions took place every three months. In between, I was busily working overtime to build-up funds to buy something.

Sometimes, if I needed to stretch funds, I would simply take out a bank loan.

.....it's a testimony to your good judgement that you applied such singular focus to it. I walked past a table at a NY Con about that time period....stacked with early Marvel pages by Kirby and Ditko for a hundred a page.....but that was my whole budget for the show......GOD BLESS.....

P.S. A complete Williamson story is just unimagineable.....

auction1b-11.jpg

I love that the description says it is Buster Crabbe, and not Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers, fighting the monster. not really related anecdote: When I was in 8th grade Marion Crabbe, a descendant of Buster's, turned me down when I asked her to go to the school dance. That was the first and last time I asked a girl to any school dance! Oh why Marion, why?

see, the art isn't the only thing that makes me wistful in this thread!

Edited by Bird

and for some illogical reason, OA wasn't an accepted niche yet.

I know what you're saying but I think the internet was the best thing that ever happened to OA prices and liquidity.

Too hard for buyers & sellers of any one of a kind or very very rare item to find each other in the pre internet days.

I didn't have any art back then, but I found rare and one of a kind items (with obvious exceptions) were hard to buy, hard to sell, and very very illiquid.

Maybe if you were in NY or another big city it was easier.

Not really Bronty, coins, fine art, antiques, and yes comic art sold prior to the internet--it was just a slower sales cycle.

We had niche newspapers in all collectible fields, comics had Comics Buyer's Guide and RBCC PACKED with classified ads...plus dealers and collectors sent out sales lists, etc. and of course Pioneers like Russ and Howard Lowery and others brought professionalism, knowledge, and auctions to our hobby.

Rob

I bought a Sandman page out of CGB for $125 around 1990. I was in college and panicked when I won, but somehow I came up with the cash. Page sold a few years ago.

Not really Bronty, coins, fine art, antiques, and yes comic art sold prior to the internet--it was just a slower sales cycle.

We had niche newspapers in all collectible fields, comics had Comics Buyer's Guide and RBCC PACKED with classified ads...plus dealers and collectors sent out sales lists, etc. and of course Pioneers like Russ and Howard Lowery and others brought professionalism, knowledge, and auctions to our hobby.

Rob

Well perhaps I am being too dramatic for you but "slower sales cycle" is "hard to sell and hard to buy" in my book :)

auction1c-13.jpg

Although I didn't actually bid on anything in this particular auction, sometime later I bought item # 17, "About Face!" by Johnny Craig, from Russ's post-auction offerings (unsold items would usually be re-offered, 'For Direct Sale').