• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I disagree with Overstreet on.....

61 posts in this topic

It has been suggested to me that I start a new thread on things I disagree with in our bible, the Overstreet Price Guide. So if anyone else would like to vent on stuff they just never understood, please post!

I'm just gonna throw this out there....

Tales to Astonish 27 NM- ($20,000)

We're talking about Ant-Man for crying out loud....a very forgetable hero. Is it because it's a rare issue n NM? Kirby at his finest? Compared to a 32,000 price for Iron Man's first appearance in ToS it's not that far away when we get to those high numbers,,,,,,,Maybe it's an early superhero out of the Pre-Hero decade? I don't get it!!! This has bothered me for twenty years or so. Maybe Overstreet is the only one who likes it and since it's his price guide he gets to set it high?

I apologize TTA fans who own NM copies of TTA 27 if you feel insulted.

Thanks!

It has been suggested to me that I start a new thread on things I disagree with in our bible, the Overstreet Price Guide. So if anyone else would like to vent on stuff they just never understood, please post!

Tales to Astonish 22 NM- ($20,000)

We're talking about Ant-Man for crying out loud....a very forgetable hero. Is it because it's a rare issue n NM? Kirby at his finest? Compared to a 32,000 price for Iron Man's first appearance in ToS it's not that far away when we get to those high numbers,,,,,,,Maybe it's an early superhero out of the Pre-Hero decade? I don't get it!!! This has bothered me for twenty years or so. Maybe Overstreet is the only one who likes it and since it's his price guide he gets to set it high?

I apologize TTA fans who own NM copies of TTA 22 if you feel insulted.

Thanks!

TTA27? hm

I really don't care what OS prices things all that much,but why do you have to dis Ant Man? You're going to feel diiferent when the Ant Man movie comes out,and find out what a cool character he his.

By the way TTA 27 is a grail of mine. (tsk)

Tales to Astonish 22 NM- ($20,000)

Thanks!

TTA27? hm

Fixed 27!!!

Even as a huge Ant-Man fan, I never rated #27 as highly as other Marvel keys. I always felt like it was a prototype book, and #35 is the first true Ant-Man appearance in my mind. For the money I'd sooner pick up a different Marvel key, despite the fact that it's bound to appreciate considerably over the next 2 years.

I think the Ant-Man movie will be huge. Wright (the director) is very proven and he loves the source material, just loves it. Also, the visuals will be incredible; combine the past hoopla over a current take on the effects from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mixed with the juggernaut that is Marvel movies and you have a blockbuster that breaks through to every demographic.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this:

I agree that Overstreet is wrong on the price of this book. It's worth at least twice the mentioned amount it's listed at in that condition graded...

Also realize when you're apologizing to collectors who own NM copies of this book, you're only apologizing to one person. It's a super tough book as there are only 3 copies graded above 9.0 with the highest graded copy being a single 9.4

Even as a huge Ant-Man fan, I never rated #27 as highly as other Marvel keys. I always felt like it was a prototype book, and #35 is the first true Ant-Man appearance in my mind. For the money I'd sooner pick up a different Marvel key, despite the fact that it's bound to appreciate considerably over the next 2 years.

I think the Ant-Man movie will be huge. Wright (the director) is very proven and he loves the source material, just loves it. Also, the visuals will be incredible; combine the past hoopla over the effects from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mixed with the juggernaut that is Marvel movies and you have a blockbuster that breaks through to every demographic.

Didn't even know Ant-Man was becoming a movie....this would make some sense too....

I think the Ant-Man movie will be huge. Wright (the director) is very proven and he loves the source material, just loves it. Also, the visuals will be incredible; combine the past hoopla over the effects from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mixed with the juggernaut that is Marvel movies and you have a blockbuster that breaks through to every demographic.

Didn't even know Ant-Man was becoming a movie....this would make some sense too....

And zero copies graded above an 8.0 have been sold since that news...

I think the Ant-Man movie will be huge. Wright (the director) is very proven and he loves the source material, just loves it. Also, the visuals will be incredible; combine the past hoopla over a current take on the effects from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mixed with the juggernaut that is Marvel movies and you have a blockbuster that breaks through to every demographic.

This is my gut feeling as well. Hope the movie comes thru. :wishluck:

I agree that Overstreet is wrong on the price of this book. It's worth at least twice the mentioned amount it's listed at in that condition graded...

Okay but a lot of graded issues in 9,2 don't exist in the late Atlas early Marvel era. Overstreet seems to ignore the scarcity of graded copies in his price guide and even if he doesn't, he has said in interviews he aims for market stability in not going crazy in prices for an given issue. So I refute that argument.

Lots of Ant-Man fans it seems though, yall should band together and demand a montly title again... :-P

lol

I understand where you are coming from, but TTA #27 to get your point across maybe isn't the best idea. I highly doubt the owner of a TTA #27 in 9.2 would even sell the book for $20,000 right now. I know I wouldn't.

And TOS #39 in 9.2 might fetch double the OS price of #32,000.

I remember a sale of TTA #27 in 9.4 for $50,000 a year or so ago somewhere.

OSPG rocks, but it's just a guide, like an MSRP of sorts.

Okay but a lot of graded issues in 9,2 don't exist in the late Atlas early Marvel era. Overstreet seems to ignore the scarcity of graded copies in his price guide and even if he doesn't, he has said in interviews he aims for market stability in not going crazy in prices for an given issue. So I refute that argument.

Lots of Ant-Man fans it seems though, yall should band together and demand a montly title again... :-P

We're talking big Marvel SA keys here. It's a completely different ballgame and not even remotely comparable to random Atlas or non key early Marvels. Also, TTA #27 is easily the most difficult in grade of those keys and it's not even close.

Overstreet is always wrong on the big Marvel SA keys, and it's not because they under value them.

The fact remains that people are paying more than the amount you seem to think is over valued.

You may not like or appreciate Ant-Man (doubt you have read any of the Lee/Kirby stuff), but thinking Overstreet overvalues the book when people are paying multiples of that price is just plain silly. Just. Plain. Silly.

lol

I understand where you are coming from, but TTA #27 to get your point across maybe isn't the best idea. I highly doubt the owner of a TTA #27 in 9.2 would even sell the book for $20,000 right now. I know I wouldn't.

I know this. I disagree and ignore Overstreet on many things but this is a big one. Essentially you are using the scarcity argument which makes a lot of sense, but I want a lot of other issues that are scarce that don't get price guide love....sigh

lol

I understand that the demand for a TOS 39 is far greater than a TTA 27.

However, looking at the supply available, There are 19 copies of TOS 39 graded above 9.2

and 13 copies graded at 9.2 for a total of 32 books.

The TTA has 2 9.4's and 1 9.2 so unless one of the three owners is willing to part with their copy the book can't be acquired at any price. Therefore, the selling price for each book in 9.2 might be somewhat closer than many believe.

We're talking big Marvel SA keys here. It's a completely different ballgame and not even remotely comparable to random Atlas or non key early Marvels. Also, TTA #27 is easily the most difficult in grade of those keys and it's not even close.

Overstreet is always wrong on the big Marvel SA keys, and it's not because they under value them.

The fact remains that people are paying more than the amount you seem to think is over valued.

You may not like or appreciate Ant-Man (doubt you have read any of the Lee/Kirby stuff), but thinking Overstreet overvalues the book when people are paying multiples of that price is just plain silly. Just. Plain. Silly.

Wrong. I have my Marvel Digital account that I read a lot of the anthology stories :-P In fact I like those stories more than today's stuff.

People pay mutliples of a lot of Overstreets prices, so that proves nothing. That book however, seems to be one of the books that gets the love from Overstreet tho...

lol

I know this. I disagree and ignore Overstreet on many things but this is a big one. Essentially you are using the scarcity argument which makes a lot of sense, but I want a lot of other issues that are scarce that don't get price guide love....sigh

If it isn't a big key, It's unlikely to get TTA27 level love.