• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLATROCK02 (MIKE,) is very ILL and is going to need our help

67 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, Mike (Flatrock02) has Cancer. He has a large cell tumor in his chest that is affecting his ability to eat, talk, etc. In the past few months, he's lost more than 45 lbs.He needs a feeding tube to get nutrition.

Fortunately, it is being treated with radiation and chemo, but the treatments are taking a toll on him leaving him without the energy to work. This is difficult for him, because Mikes a hard worker...I don't want to embarrass him, but he's always working at least 2 jobs, plus eBay and board sales to support his family.

We don't know how long it's going to be before he can get back to work, but it seems like it will be a while.

Mike has a wife and a young daughter. His wife is not employed.

He's applied for disability, but that will not be available for a number of weeks and it's probably going to be less than half his salary. He has no other financial aid from his employer. I know that things are very tight and stressful for him right now.

Mike has been a boardie since 2006 ,he's a relatively quiet man with never a bad word to say about anyone. I've had the privilege of meeting him several times at Wizard World and he's the same in person, as he is here.

I am going to be starting a thread, tomorrow, probably in the late morning, in Gold/Silver/Copper, to help him and comic or comic related donations can be posted there.

ALL donations will be GREATLY appreciated.

If you wish to make a cash donation, please contact me and I will gladly give you his PP address or his home address if you want to send a check (or a get well card). If you want to just say hi to him, I'd sure he'd appreciate a PM as well, but you might not get an immediate response.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sharon

Just got home from work. My thoughts and prayers are with Mike and his family.

For now I'd like to donate the following:

Walking Dead 100, chromium edition, CGC 9.8

JLA/JSA 'Toon Tumblers glass pitcher

Mega-Mega magnets:

Hulk and Wolverine set (Hulk 181)

Batman

Thor

Wonder Woman

X-Men

Best of luck to you, Mike :wishluck::foryou::wishluck:

Thanks very much, Royce. (worship)

Shin(Sckao) will be helping with a spreadsheet and , Shark and TheHumanTorch, will be helping with the thread.

We are not going to do auctions this time, so each item will be listed in the thread for sale.

I will start the thread tomorrow and put a link here, then you can post a link with prices.

Thought about auctions, but the timing is bad with the Labor Day weekend coming up...these things are never at a convenient time, are they?

Really sorry to hear about this.

In my time on the boards I've bought more books from Mike than anyone else I've dealt with and he was always the nicest and politest person you would want to communicate with - went out of his way numerous times to help me fill up some holes in the collection, always giving me free books, and even putting up with me making stupid mistakes like not providing him with my complete address.

I'll go through my books tomorrow and dig some stuff out for the sale.

Hats off to Sharon for letting us know about this.

Really sorry to hear about this.

In my time on the boards I've bought more books from Mike than anyone else I've dealt with and he was always the nicest and politest person you would want to communicate with - went out of his way numerous times to help me fill up some holes in the collection, always giving me free books, and even putting up with me making stupid mistakes like not providing him with my complete address.

I'll go through my books tomorrow and dig some stuff out for the sale.

Hats off to Sharon for letting us know about this.

No doubt. Mike's rock solid to deal with, and so helpful with filling holes in the collection.

Thanks, Jeanine, Dan, and Andrew...

I'm writing up the preliminary as we speak I've "borrowed" some of the ideas from the Aurora sales thread (kudos to them), just tweaking a bit for these circumstances.

So people will be posting items directly in the thread. The difference will be, payments will be going directly to Mike.

Wow...terrible news. Mike was one of the first guys I bought books from when I joined the boards, and the honesty and integrity I discovered from him and others is what kept me around. I'll be making a donation...