• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anybody watching collection intervention?

75 posts in this topic

looks like it's a moot point tho. the sale was 'for show' apparently.

here's what is on the CI site - per joe, the deal didn't happen and he's still got.....issues. pun intended. :insane:

Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?

I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

Do you now set boundaries on how much or how often you're allowed to collect items?

I've ALWAYS set boundaries on my collecting and nothing has changed there.

How did Elyse's visit help you as a collector?

With all due respect, Elyse's visit did not help my collecting perspective.

here is the link -

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/8

Hold on a minute there, are you saying a reality show on TV was in fact staged ! :o

sure skipper! see...what happens is there are writers on the other side of the island and they....wait a minute...is this a bat bite?!!

skip3.jpg

I wonder if the dealer reneged on the deal (or it was just for show) or if the collector decided to back out... I see title runs go for well over $1/book on ebay pretty regularly with recognized runs like Simonson's Thor and more...

I thought that the "advisor" missed out on a key approach of selling his books and funding purchase of Collected Editions (ie Simonson's Thor Omnibus). Wives seem to be happier with Bookshelves with books on them over cardboard boxes of comics.

Its not a perfect solution, but its a measured one that he can do run by run as he converts his collection to trades/hcs.

I just watched the first episode with the Star Wars/ Catwoman collectors.

I liked it. There's an element of gawking, but I think the host tries hard to understand and respect these people, who, frankly, do have issues with their collections and collecting habits.

Gonna watch the next two pretty soon.

P.S. Didn't notice any kids with either couple. This speaks volumes to me.

I wonder if the dealer reneged on the deal (or it was just for show) or if the collector decided to back out... I see title runs go for well over $1/book on ebay pretty regularly with recognized runs like Simonson's Thor and more...

I thought that the "advisor" missed out on a key approach of selling his books and funding purchase of Collected Editions (ie Simonson's Thor Omnibus). Wives seem to be happier with Bookshelves with books on them over cardboard boxes of comics.

Its not a perfect solution, but its a measured one that he can do run by run as he converts his collection to trades/hcs.

Totally agree on the trade paperback route.

You're right about what they could sell for, but that involves, grading , scanning pricing, shipping and packing. So there's a lot of labor if you want to max out adn as a dealer buying that stuff and sitting on a lot of it, a quarter a book or less is closer to the value.

looks like it's a moot point tho. the sale was 'for show' apparently.

here's what is on the CI site - per joe, the deal didn't happen and he's still got.....issues. pun intended. :insane:

Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?

I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

Do you now set boundaries on how much or how often you're allowed to collect items?

I've ALWAYS set boundaries on my collecting and nothing has changed there.

How did Elyse's visit help you as a collector?

With all due respect, Elyse's visit did not help my collecting perspective.

here is the link -

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/8

Hold on a minute there, are you saying a reality show on TV was in fact staged ! :o

sure skipper! see...what happens is there are writers on the other side of the island and they....wait a minute...is this a bat bite?!!

skip3.jpg

:roflmao:

Totally agree on the trade paperback route.

You're right about what they could sell for, but that involves, grading , scanning pricing, shipping and packing. So there's a lot of labor if you want to max out adn as a dealer buying that stuff and sitting on a lot of it, a quarter a book or less is closer to the value.

Im not even thinking in terms of the "condition" buyers. You could throw every "run" up there with a price at $1/book (so a 35 issue Simonson run would have a $35 BIN) and sell thru all of them very quickly and have to do nothing more than a cursory glance at the books for "readable" condition of FN or so... Any notable run from the last 20 years would sell at that rate from what I've watched on ebay.

Generally speaking I'd agree with you but I've pulled several collections of uber high grade that were just in bags for 30 years, no boards.

Yes there are plenty of exceptions. Nicest collection I have been a part of is what I call the garbage bag collection. The guy who had the collection would open up a garbage bag, and start stacking books in it, when he got to 50 or so books, he would carefully fold the bag, and tape it shut. He placed the bagged sets in a big box, and start a new stack. There was probably 1000 books in the collection from about 1964 to about 1970, all DC and marvels. Nice collection.

The individual bagged only collections work mostly because the bags stick together, and forms a brick of books, and they usually stay pretty nice. What I hate seeing (especially on the episode) is how the guy would pull a book 3/4 of the way out of the box, then flip the book forward to see what's on the other side...... Nice color breaking stress to the spine.

it was a protracted negotiation starting off at an offer of $700--900-1200 and finally ended at 1300 and a promise that the new buyer woulf not actually play with it.

The seller actually got into selling and making deals. I think he ended up with a total of 4800.

I am really surprised that the deal of the 2000 books for the signed Hulk 181 did not go through. I wonder who killed the deal. I thought that at the end they indicated that he was continuing to trade material and had made a substantial reudction in the quantity of boxes he had.

I am really surprised that the deal of the 2000 books for the signed Hulk 181 did not go through. I wonder who killed the deal. I thought that at the end they indicated that he was continuing to trade material and had made a substantial reudction in the quantity of boxes he had.

They did say that. Specifically they said he was down to about 1/2 the boxes he started with. So that end of episode recap was WAY off.

What I think is funny is that Elyse seemed fairly educated about comics and her advice fairly decent.

I agree she seems to have familiarity with some of the collectibles she encounters, but she seems to have this mindset that all collectors should downsize to focus on the early pieces of their collecting focus. Gen1 Transformers, Barbie #1, early GI Joe's, and in the last episode she wanted the comic collector to downsize to things in golden and silver. That rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Some people collect regardless of age, but we all know from this site that there are some folks who focus on specific times and eras. The one thing I've always heard here and on other comic related forums is to collect what you enjoy.

I thought it was funny that she said that and then the supposed trade occurred for a bronze age book.

The irony in all that is that according to her twitter she wrote a book on the best $20 bottles of wine lol

I find it funny that the host is an attractive blonde. If they wanted to do a proper show the host would look more like Steve Borock or Mark Haspel, not that there's anything wrong with the way Steve and Mark look but they're not an attractive blonde that makes guys gawk at the screen, they're knowledgeable people in the industry.

She had a passing knowledge about comics and toys but nothing more. She kept calling them "a piece". I've never heard of comicbooks or action figures refered to that way which tells me she comes from an antiques background where that's a common word. She also kept using the word "mint". When someone uses that word it tells me they have no idea what they're talking about.

Also i would take those 2000 bagged and boarded NM complete runs over a "9.0" Hulk 181 with writing on it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.