• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Classic Cover of the Modern-Age? When did modern age start?

122 posts in this topic

This is a perfect example of a modern classic cover. If you can't explain why it's a classic cover than its not.

Catwoman #51

1. Lost Numbers

2. Cover has been copied, imitated & recreated outside of the hobby

3. Cover used & referenced by media (Example: MTV, CNN, Wikipedia, etc..)

4. Artwork

5. Cover used for products (Example: posters, t-shirts, prints, statues, etc..)

118640-7328-109242-1-catwoman_super.jpg

So you are looking for great ISSUES of which the COVERS have become or already were classic but are great ISSUES regardless of the COVER and not great COVERS that are not important ISSUES?

Tell me what makes Walking Dead #1 the obvious #1 Classic cover of the modern age? (Which it is)

Hint: Not just because of the cover itself.

This is a perfect example of a modern classic cover. If you can't explain why it's a classic cover than its not.

Catwoman #51

1. Lost Numbers

2. Cover has been copied, imitated & recreated outside of the hobby

3. Cover used & referenced by media (Example: MTV, CNN, Wikipedia, etc..)

4. Artwork

5. Cover used for products (Example: posters, t-shirts, prints, statues, etc..)

118640-7328-109242-1-catwoman_super.jpg

While the classic cover could be debatable on this issue.

What I love that you did is your provided evidence proofing your case. Good Job (thumbs u

So you are looking for great ISSUES of which the COVERS have become or already were classic but are great ISSUES regardless of the COVER and not great COVERS that are not important ISSUES?

Tell me what makes Walking Dead #1 the obvious #1 Classic cover of the modern age? (Which it is)

That's my point exactly, you don't want just classic COVERS that are mediocre issues you want classic ISSUES which is why I suggested to you to change the title from COVERS to ISSUES. I was only trying to help.

Also, if ASM36 is a classic cover, shouldn't Solar 10 also be? :insane:

Good cover, that.  Solar travelling through a black hole. :baiting:

The detail in BWS's Pre-Raphaelite influenced artwork here is simply incredible. (worship)

7460062750_139bf6f05e_b_d.jpg

Unfortunately what I am seeing in this thread is people's subjective opinions on covers they adore as fans rather objective :baiting:

My three favorite covers of the modern age are:

Venom #1 Error Cover

Walking Dead #2

Batman #608 RRP

However none I would consider classic covers though. Great covers yes!

Wonder Woman #199 not a classic cover just a good cover.

You better alert CGC and tell them to remove the designation from their label then.

What you're saying about classic covers doesn't align with how they're recognized by Overstreet or CGC. A few more examples: Air Ace V2 #2, All Winners #8, All Select #2, Action Comics #63..and these are just the A's.

What's inside the book doesn't matter in many of these cases. It may be your personal definition but it's not the hobby's.

:news:

Just because I may disagree with anyone in my thread doesn't mean I don't value your opinions, and see where you are coming from. :foryou:

This thread is fun. :popcorn:

The big thing is that as it becomes more and more popular outside of our little comic world, it's recognizable imagine will make it a classic. Same with #19. Just a striking imagine that will be instantly recognized.

Value plays a big part.

Importance of the issue.

(shrug)

Unfortunately what I am seeing in this thread is people's subjective opinions on covers they adore as fans rather objective :baiting:

My three favorite covers of the modern age are:

Venom #1 Error Cover

Walking Dead #2

Batman #608 RRP

However none I would consider classic covers though. Great covers yes!

Yeah #2 is my favorite as well!

Just because I may disagree with anyone in my thread doesn't mean I don't value your opinions, and see where you are coming from. :foryou:

It's the busiest the modern section has been since the Walking Dead 100 retailer fiasco.

Wonder Woman #199 not a classic cover just a good cover.

You better alert CGC and tell them to remove the designation from their label then.

What you're saying about classic covers doesn't align with how they're recognized by Overstreet or CGC. A few more examples: Air Ace V2 #2, All Winners #8, All Select #2, Action Comics #63..and these are just the A's.

What's inside the book doesn't matter in many of these cases. It may be your personal definition but it's not the hobby's.

Well I didn't want to get into this topic because we are talking about Modern books, but........

1938-1975 presented the most ground breaking character introductions as well important storylines possible.

Every book you have mentioned is 100% a classic cover for obvious reasons.

There are obvious reasons why there is a long list of classic covers from 1938-1975,and a short list from 1975 to now.

Regurgitation is not a recipe for classic covers.

The big thing is that as it becomes more and more popular outside of our little comic world, it's recognizable imagine will make it a classic. Same with #19. Just a striking imagine that will be instantly recognized.

Value plays a big part.

Importance of the issue.

(shrug)

Thank you. :foryou:

It's the busiest the modern section has been since the Walking Dead 100 retailer fiasco.

Plus I am tired of comic's general. lol

I think there are three (but I'm pretty biased on this one)

wd1.jpg

Been mentioned already

SMB1-1.jpg

Huge character, classic pose that everybody under 35 can identify immediately

Pulse4.jpg

The definitive Goblin image for the modern age. Marvel has designed a lot of toy packaging/advertising around this image.

Jim

I think there are three (but I'm pretty biased on this one)

wd1.jpg

Been mentioned already

SMB1-1.jpg

Huge character, classic pose that everybody under 35 can identify immediately

Pulse4.jpg

The definitive Goblin image for the modern age. Marvel has designed a lot of toy packaging/advertising around this image.

Jim

Never seen that Pulse cover before. How cool is that one. I don't care what's inside. I'm loving it

The ASM Alex Ross Goblin cover (can't remember the issue off the top of my head) is another great that comes to mind.

That's why I suggested changing the title to issues because people will be be confused and post classic covers.

See I still disagree. :sorry:

Classic covers are made because not only is the cover amazing, but has to be backed up by a significant story-line, event, or 1st appearance.

So then this isn't a classic cover

Detective_Comics_35.jpg

Dude you debating books back at me that are classic covers backed up with important story-lines. :eyeroll:

Nicely as I can say this. ???

What makes these covers classic that you posted?

98658-2127-106921-1-amazing-spider-man_super.jpg

50087-3519-65543-1-web-of-spider-man_super.jpg

Distinct and unique positioning of a, to that point, unknown character or new take on an iconic character. They engage the eye in a way that demonstrates action while also showcasing what is being "debuted."

Other than that, nothing, you know, a completely black cover does a much better job.