• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interview with MIKE BURKEY--the art dealer's perspective on OCAL

216 posts in this topic

Since it seems to be all good and in the past, what is this "contract" episode? If you want to impart knowledge on collecting it seems this might be good info to share (how to make a deal, or is it how to NOT make a deal? either way your experience here seems noteworthy.)

Since it seems to be all good and in the past, what is this "contract" episode? If you want to impart knowledge on collecting it seems this might be good info to share (how to make a deal, or is it how to NOT make a deal? either way your experience here seems noteworthy.)

Noteworthy indeed! Maybe Glen's next blog entry can be about that deal.

I would hope to get the info. Since it seems like it caused a rift between a major collector and everyone's "nicest dealer alive" (and he is a nice guy. Just because I am only 10% into my next purchase with Mike has nothing to do with that.), it seems like something that would benefit others. But I do not want to cause trouble, which is why I only suggested it "if" things were all good.

I'll step up here and throw out the Devil's Advocate horseshoe. What was everyone expecting Frost-Nixon? I give Glen credit for keeping the self promotion as muted as it was, try doing that with Metro if you want a real challenge Glen :baiting:

I really think that the type of insider stuff people might like to read is best kept in a straight blogger format, it is not going to come out in an interview style format. As Glen pointed out there has to be at least a modicum of incentive for the person interviewed. I think the expose type stuff only comes with the person being interviewed has :censored: the pooch and tries to set, or more than likely distort the record of public opinion.

Seems as if Glen is finding his groove with respect to the blog. I enjoy the blog and maybe down the road he will deal with some of the more divisive issues in the hobby. It is usually not a good idea to start off guns a blazing and build some sense of objectivity in what you are writing and why you are writing it so as not to come off as a axe grinding machine but rather an informative/entertaining blog.

:popcorn:

I had the opportunity to talk with art dealer/collector, MIKE BURKEY regarding comic art collecting and the state of the hobby recently. Come check it out and see some wonderful scans from the ROMITAMAN'S personal collection...

www.originalcomicartlocator.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Glen

Great interview, thanks for the link.

It's kind of a moot point. The entire old thread is readily available to anyone who wants to search the comicart-l archives for it, including the actual wording of the contract. Nothing ever really dies on the internet.

Quite a story with a little bit of research and some time to read through the posts at the time.

Regardless, I appreciate the efforts being made with the blog Glen!

Personally, I liked the interview. Thanks, Glen. :golfclap:

If possible, I wouldn't mind reading comments from "the other side of the table" about current hot topics in the OA hobby. A virtual round table with some of the dealers that regularly trade in the sort of art that is the hot topic at the moment. hm

Personally, I liked the interview. Thanks, Glen. :golfclap:

If possible, I wouldn't mind reading comments from "the other side of the table" about current hot topics in the OA hobby. A virtual round table with some of the dealers that regularly trade in the sort of art that is the hot topic at the moment. hm

Yes, I was thinking that as well. The Burkey interview would have been strengthened if you had others answering the same questions. I would especially love to hear from those dealers still not online (or like Bechara only online recently). Those guys are not well known to me and I would love to learn about them and how they approach their business and comic art in general. And you could also ask them to highlight some art, thereby satisfying the stated purpose of your blog as many will not be aware of what those old timey dealers have to offer.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, at the condescending comments about Glen's enjoyable, (if not groundbreaking) interview with Mike Burkey.

I personally didn't expect this interview to be a 60 minutes 'expose' with hard hitting questions and attacks, which is what the naysayers here seem to have wanted-- BLOOD.

GLEN ALONE decides the length, tone, and content of his interviews. SO WHAT some here thought Mike was self serving-- I don't think he was myself-- at least not more than anyone successful is in real life...smart guys say things that help their cause, and promote their successful companies. D'oh. And Mike's smart...in fact I found his interview frank and candid--he says plainly he paid $50 and up for Romita pages that he can't resist selling for $10K and up now. Bravo Mike. I appreciate the transparency.

Some a-holes here think making money on art is a sin. I've been told the same thing from time to time...one guy told me 'it's clear you bought that just to resell'. Yes. So? Do you disapprove?

But boy just try buying from these guys. I personally think they are hypocrites.

Why should Glen break Mike's balls? Should his interview have backed Mike into some sort of corner? Why? To satisfy whom? Some disgruntled ex-customer? Was Mike hard once on his price for a comic page you wanted and you couldn't get it? Boo hoo!

You know if there weren't dealers and we were all strictly collectors, there would be no art available for sale!

Everyone's a critic...but I've learned that those that are, usually have their OWN (secret) agenda.

OK, I'm off my soapbox.

Love,

Rob

Some disgruntled ex-customer? Was Mike hard once on his price for a comic page you wanted and you couldn't get it? Boo hoo!

Everyone's a critic...but I've learned that those that are, usually have their OWN (secret) agenda.

What do you know about me to make these statements? Nothing! So get informed before you show off to know about my motivations!

It was quite predictable when you "mess" with one of the most powerful art dealers in the hobby that some collectors would show to get favours by the dealer, and Rob is the most radical example of it, how sad.

I'm afraid that I won't be able to reply whoever choose to attack me because I'm still on vacation far from home and my internet connection sucks.

I think that I was clear that my criticism was directed towards the tone of the interview, not the blog, nor Glenn or Mike. Whoever want to earn points with Mike, he'd better use another route, because here's not enough to make a case.

In fact, other collectors gave me support privately and thought I made clear my point, so if someone want to distort my words, he's free to do it, of course, but I won't discuss it.

I guess the fight went public before the Yahoo groups days when comicart-l was still on a private server otherwise all the details would be in the archives.

My mistake, this is in the archives of Comicart-L on Yahoo Groups. It seems like it was longer ago but it was 1999. The saga begins with message # 33403.

But I don't understand, why criticize the tone of the interview Ferran? I read and very much enjoy your own blog. Is this professional jealousy? It isn't very professional to criticize the competition in public--it come across petty--why not in private?

Perhaps you would like to interview Mike or Albert or Anthony and ask the 'hard' questions? Will they answer? I seriously doubt it?

R