• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you covered if you pay via paypal perrsonal payment?

90 posts in this topic

It can come from your card, but you have to pay the fees. I have a separate bank account attached to Paypal, normally, I keep a bare minimum in that account and I transfer money in there to make "gift/Donations".

BTW, I've called Paypal twice when we've had these Donation threads and asked that the accounts be noted so they don't get flagged for an influx of Personal payments and they were very kind about it.

No, they don't have to send you an invoice, but using Paypal personal or having some one request to be paid via Paypal personal is against the guidelines of the selling forum. You can not file a claim through Paypal if you paid using Paypal personal.

Not much enforced, I think ....

Dr Watson is incorrect. The forum rules state you can't list paypal personal as a form of payment in the thread. It does not say you can't request it in private.

I only use it or ask for it when the sale involves charity or I'm giving an item away and asking only for the shipping cost.

Shadroch is incorrect. The forum rules state that you can't list Paypal personal as it's inappropriate for the purchase of items...

'List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)'

I don't believe I am incorrect. There is no forum rule against a seller asking, in private, to be paid by paypal personal. I wouldn't do it but it is not a violation of any forum rules. The rule states that Pay Pal Personal is not allowed as a LISTED option, not that it is against forum rules to request it in private.

if Arch or CGC wanted it to be a violation of board rules, they would state PAYPAL PERSONAL IS NOT ALLOWED FOR ANY PURCHASE.

All they say is you can't list it as an option, and you certainly can't insist on being paid by it, but I don't believe there is a rule against requesting it.

I would suggest that, given Arch's clear statement that Paypal personal is not appropriate for the purchase of items, and the fact that sales threads sell...well, items...the use of the word 'listing' is simply a matter of loose phraseology.

Never ever under any circumstances use Paypal personal to pay for an item you purchase. Not only is it a misuse of the feature, but you lose all, and I mean all, avenues of recourse if a problem becomes evident with the transaction.

Paypal personal was developed for things such as if I were to borrow $20 from Joey at a convention. I have a Paypal balance, so instead of sending Joey a check, I send him $20 via Paypal personal.

Yes, but...

I have heard a single incident where a member on RS accepted PayPal personal/gift, got a chargeback and was out the money and the item.

It is likely very rare because it's mostly used by people who know one another for the reasons you mention, and I'm not exactly certain about the specific details, but my only guess is that the person who sent the payment used a credit card to fund the transaction, and when PayPal told them to take a hike, they went to their credit card company and insisted a chargeback be issued.

I only ever use Paypal Personal for donations.  I add a short message 'Gift donation' to make it quite clear to Paypal that the transaction is appropriate.  

If I have a book and I want 1000 for it, Im certinly not under any obligation to take less via paypal fees as a seller. In a listing I may say that I accept cash or equiviant ie check or MO. For paypal add 3%. Personal checks ned to clear before book ships.

If I have a book and I want 1000 for it, Im certinly not under any obligation to take less via paypal fees as a seller. In a listing I may say that I accept cash or equiviant ie check or MO. For paypal add 3%. Personal checks ned to clear before book ships.

+1

I think I agree with this better than some of the other statements in this thread. A seller can ask for whatever amount for their items and either others can buy it or not. The flip side to saying "3% isn't a big fee for a seller" can also be translated to "3% isn't a big markup for a buyer." You can't have it both ways...

And I have to disagree with Chromium on many levels. When a seller is looking to move a book, of course they're trying to maximize their value. That's called capitalism. And if someone packages something poorly, don't buy from them again. And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

As far as personal is concerned, it's buyer beware. Know who you're dealing with and you'll be fine.

+1

I think I agree with this better than some of the other statements in this thread. A seller can ask for whatever amount for their items and either others can buy it or not. The flip side to saying "3% isn't a big fee for a seller" can also be translated to "3% isn't a big markup for a buyer." You can't have it both ways...

And I have to disagree with Chromium on many levels. When a seller is looking to move a book, of course they're trying to maximize their value. That's called capitalism. And if someone packages something poorly, don't buy from them again. And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

As far as personal is concerned, it's buyer beware. Know who you're dealing with and you'll be fine.

PayPal dynamics aside, I cringe anytime I hear the boards criers tell people to "sell your comics here first." the marketplace is like a pawn shop, where each buyer assumes the role of the pawn broker standing behind the counter.

When assuming the role of seller by listing in the marketplace, if you are looking for quick cash to move an item, use the marketplace. Otherwise, by the time you get rinsed out of covering shipping costs, dealing with inflated sense of buyer entitlement, PayPal's cut and any money you're leaving on the table from the crack/press/resub crowd, you're FAR, FAR better off selling your book elsewhere. 2c

+1

PayPal dynamics aside, I cringe anytime I hear the boards criers tell people to "sell your comics here first." the marketplace is like a pawn shop, where each buyer assumes the role of the pawn broker standing behind the counter.

When assuming the role of seller by listing in the marketplace, if you are looking for quick cash to move an item, use the marketplace. Otherwise, by the time you get rinsed out of covering shipping costs, dealing with inflated sense of buyer entitlement, PayPal's cut and any money you're leaving on the table from the crack/press/resub crowd, you're FAR, FAR better off selling your book elsewhere. 2c

HEY....A FRIEND! :foryou:

In NY, and many other states, what you are doing is actually illegal. You can offer a discount for cash but you cannnot charge a premium for use of credit cards or paypal. I don't know the law in your state, but you should certainly look into it.If you want $1,000 for the book, I'd suggest you price it at $1,030 and offer 3% discounts for certain forms of payment.

Never ever under any circumstances use Paypal personal to pay for an item you purchase. Not only is it a misuse of the feature, but you lose all, and I mean all, avenues of recourse if a problem becomes evident with the transaction.

Paypal personal was developed for things such as if I were to borrow $20 from Joey at a convention. I have a Paypal balance, so instead of sending Joey a check, I send him $20 via Paypal personal.

Isnt this acceptable for a charity reason also?

And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

So tell me, where, apart from selling it at a con for cash, can you get full GPA when you sell a book ?

Certainly not the auction houses or eBay as they take their cut..and even if you get full GPA for your book you won't receive the full GPA dollar amount.

I also think it's quite logical that books here should be sold cheaper than at the larger auction houses if you want full GPA.

Imagine you want $1000 for comic X (which is the GPA for this particular book). You put it up on Clink and it sells for the exact amount you wanted...$1000. Clink will send you a check for $900 within three weeks. Wouldn't you rather sell it on the boards for $940 and get paid within minutes ?

Even if you take the paypal fee into account, you are getting more money, you are getting your money faster and the buyer is very happy as he got the book cheaper than he would have had he bought it at the auction house (and will probably have the book quicker in hand as well)

And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

So tell me, where, apart from selling it at a con for cash, can you get full GPA when you sell a book ?

Certainly not the auction houses or eBay as they take their cut..and even if you get full GPA for your book you won't receive the full GPA dollar amount.

I also think it's quite logical that books here should be sold cheaper than at the larger auction houses if you want full GPA.

Imagine you want $1000 for comic X (which is the GPA for this particular book). You put it up on Clink and it sells for the exact amount you wanted...$1000. Clink will send you a check for $900 within three weeks. Wouldn't you rather sell it on the boards for $940 and get paid within minutes ?

Even if you take the paypal fee into account, you are getting more money, you are getting your money faster and the buyer is very happy as he got the book cheaper than he would have had he bought it at the auction house (and will probably have the book quicker in hand as well)

You logic is illogical. :makepoint:

Well, the boards are certainly the cheapest place to sell books when he's buying...

In NY, and many other states, what you are doing is actually illegal. You can offer a discount for cash but you cannnot charge a premium for use of credit cards or paypal. I don't know the law in your state, but you should certainly look into it.If you want $1,000 for the book, I'd suggest you price it at $1,030 and offer 3% discounts for certain forms of payment.

JD didn't mention credit cards, just cash, check, MO and that for PP he might state you need to add 3%.

Setting that credit card topic aside since I know such laws do exist in some form or other for them, are you saying in NY it's illegal for someone to charge a premium for use of Paypal? NY is protecting PP transactions in that way? Not disagreeing, just being surprised! Please elaborate!

JD didn't mention credit cards, just cash, check, MO and that PP he might state you need to add 3%.

Setting that credit card topic aside since I no such laws do exist in some form or other for them, are you saying in NY it's illegal for someone to charge a premium for use of Paypal? NY is protecting PP transactions in that way? Not disagreeing, just being surprised! Please elaborate!

I doubt this is a law. However the credit card companies would like you to believe it is. IIRC, it is against the T&C's of your merchant account with the credit card company to charge a premium for use of their card. So likely the worst that could happen would be that they cancel your account and you can no longer take their card.