• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you covered if you pay via paypal perrsonal payment?

90 posts in this topic

New question. Okay, so I sold some dvds to a buyer in Sweden. Dvds sold for $123. Shipping will be $58 (9 pounds of dvds), but ebay would take $11.86 in fees. So we cancelled the ebay auction and I told him I'd take $11 off the price. Paypal would take a small fee, but I figured paypal personal would save me fees, and I don't mind passing them on to him. He responded that he tried paypal personal, but itI still would charge $6.66, but when I tried paypal personal (gift), I didn't get charged anything. I was thinking maybe paypal charged him because he's in another country, or maybe currency converting. Am I guessing right or is paypal personal (gift) free always?

If I have a book and I want 1000 for it, Im certinly not under any obligation to take less via paypal fees as a seller. In a listing I may say that I accept cash or equiviant ie check or MO. For paypal add 3%. Personal checks ned to clear before book ships.

In NY, and many other states, what you are doing is actually illegal. You can offer a discount for cash but you cannnot charge a premium for use of credit cards or paypal. I don't know the law in your state, but you should certainly look into it.If you want $1,000 for the book, I'd suggest you price it at $1,030 and offer 3% discounts for certain forms of payment.

Last time I sold comics via Comicconnect auction I was charged 3% by CC. It isnt stated anywhere on their website. I asked who what where when and why and the reply was that if a buyer checks out with a credit card, they are charged a fee and they are passing the fee to me. One point to know is that I have no idea how all 60 of my books were infact checked out, but I do know I got clobbered with 3% on all of them as well as the 10% comish. Last I checked they are in NY.

If I have a book and I want 1000 for it, Im certinly not under any obligation to take less via paypal fees as a seller. In a listing I may say that I accept cash or equiviant ie check or MO. For paypal add 3%. Personal checks ned to clear before book ships.

In NY, and many other states, what you are doing is actually illegal. You can offer a discount for cash but you cannnot charge a premium for use of credit cards or paypal. I don't know the law in your state, but you should certainly look into it.If you want $1,000 for the book, I'd suggest you price it at $1,030 and offer 3% discounts for certain forms of payment.

Last time I sold comics via Comicconnect auction I was charged 3% by CC. It isnt stated anywhere on their website. I asked who what where when and why and the reply was that if a buyer checks out with a credit card, they are charged a fee and they are passing the fee to me. One point to know is that I have no idea how all 60 of my books were infact checked out, but I do know I got clobbered with 3% on all of them as well as the 10% comish. Last I checked they are in NY.

NYC to be precise...I would have beef with them about that. How can they 100% guarantee that every buyer checked out with a CC. If 80% did, they could still say all did and get an extra 3%.

This is why I don't do business with CC. CL allows the buyer to decide how they want to pay...

And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

So tell me, where, apart from selling it at a con for cash, can you get full GPA when you sell a book ?

Certainly not the auction houses or eBay as they take their cut..and even if you get full GPA for your book you won't receive the full GPA dollar amount.

I also think it's quite logical that books here should be sold cheaper than at the larger auction houses if you want full GPA.

Imagine you want $1000 for comic X (which is the GPA for this particular book). You put it up on Clink and it sells for the exact amount you wanted...$1000. Clink will send you a check for $900 within three weeks. Wouldn't you rather sell it on the boards for $940 and get paid within minutes ?

Even if you take the paypal fee into account, you are getting more money, you are getting your money faster and the buyer is very happy as he got the book cheaper than he would have had he bought it at the auction house (and will probably have the book quicker in hand as well)

Here was my last WTB thread:

Link

OK...since my last WTB went over so well (meh), and I way overpaid Uncle Sam last year, I decided to treat myself to a book.

Here's the deal...I want one of the 2 books listed above. The 13 is preferred.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is either:

ASM #13 6.0-7.5

ASM #15 6.5-8.0

I'll pay the equal of the GPA on lat sale/90 day avg/12 month avg; whatever is the highest on that particular grade.

So, for example, say someone has an ASM #15 in 7.0

The #'s are:

Last Sale - $308

90 day - $418

12 month - $377

So, I'd pay $418 for the book.

Hook a brother up.

So, you won't always get lowballed here. And, as Chrome said, it's usually quicker cash than anywhere else.

And finally, the boards ARE NOT the cheapest place to sell books...b/c frankly, many many boardies are flat out cheap. They would be the cheapest place to sell if you could get GPA (or close to it) prices. The fact is that many boardies will say "GPA was X so I'll buy it for X-10% (or a higher %) b/c that's what you're saving using the boards." WTF!?! How am I saving anything? How is this a cheaper option as I've had to discount it to sell??

So tell me, where, apart from selling it at a con for cash, can you get full GPA when you sell a book ?

Certainly not the auction houses or eBay as they take their cut..and even if you get full GPA for your book you won't receive the full GPA dollar amount.

I also think it's quite logical that books here should be sold cheaper than at the larger auction houses if you want full GPA.

Imagine you want $1000 for comic X (which is the GPA for this particular book). You put it up on Clink and it sells for the exact amount you wanted...$1000. Clink will send you a check for $900 within three weeks. Wouldn't you rather sell it on the boards for $940 and get paid within minutes ?

Even if you take the paypal fee into account, you are getting more money, you are getting your money faster and the buyer is very happy as he got the book cheaper than he would have had he bought it at the auction house (and will probably have the book quicker in hand as well)

Here was my last WTB thread:

Link

OK...since my last WTB went over so well (meh), and I way overpaid Uncle Sam last year, I decided to treat myself to a book.

Here's the deal...I want one of the 2 books listed above. The 13 is preferred.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is either:

ASM #13 6.0-7.5

ASM #15 6.5-8.0

I'll pay the equal of the GPA on lat sale/90 day avg/12 month avg; whatever is the highest on that particular grade.

So, for example, say someone has an ASM #15 in 7.0

The #'s are:

Last Sale - $308

90 day - $418

12 month - $377

So, I'd pay $418 for the book.

Hook a brother up.

So, you won't always get lowballed here. And, as Chrome said, it's usually quicker cash than anywhere else.

I agree, there are many, many buyers here who are not in the least bit cheap. Yes I have been lowballed occasionally but not often. I sometimes get asked for a discount and I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes I'm happy to give a discount and sometimes it doesn't work for me but you don't HAVE to give a discount to sell here. There are plenty of board members who are willing to pay FMV for their comics and anyone who is generalising the boards as being full of cheapskates is being unfair.

Since the sole motivation for using personal PayPal is to avoid the fees, I think this is OT. I see many sellers on the board (and I do it myself) offer multiple payment options allowing the buyer to pay by check or money order (fee free options) or to add 3% to pay through PayPal (assuming that personal PayPal isn't used). Since no one ever objects it would seem that there's nothing in the board rules against that and I can't find anything about it in the marketplace guidelines. It wouldn't seem to be any different from specifying the same buy price and not allowing PayPal payments altogether. Any thoughts?

It's not against the rules to ask for the buyer to pay the 3% paypal fees, but it always strikes me as a tad uncouth, seeing that the boards are by far the cheapest place to sell, as there are absolutely no fees to be paid, no overhead and the majority of buyers are a lot more trustworthy (and will end up paying) compared to eBay.

There have been multiple threads on this subject, with people that tend to do more selling advocating to getting the buyers to pay the fee, and buyers, of course, claiming that it's part of the cost of doing business and the seller should take care of the paypal juice.

For me it's not always the amount that gets added, but the principal of things. It gives off an impression that the seller is trying to squeeze the lemon entirely and it's all about making the maximum profit possible. And it makes me wonder if the seller will skimp on packing supplies and what not as there is some extra profit to be made there as well.

One enlightened soul said he never asks for the paypal fees to be paid by the buyer, but gives a discount if the buyer uses a check or MO. Another smart seller suggested to just incorporate the paypal juice in your asking price. In the end you will get the same amount for your item as if you did ask for the paypal fee as well, but the buyer won't have such a bad taste in his mouth..as ignorance is bliss.

I'm with you. They can ask all they want, but I have never bought from a seller who insists on my paying his PP fees and I never will. I'm also not paying for the gas he burns driving to the post office, the soda he drinks while waiting in line, or the coins he puts in the parking meter. lol

I'll take the opportunity to say this yet again:

Using Paypal personal to buy merchandise is theft.

Paypal has the moral right to charge what they wish for the use of their services. You have the moral obligation to pay for those services if you avail yourself of them.

Paypal specifically states that Paypal personal is NOT for merchandise.

Using it for purchases is therefore theft, and it will remain theft until and if Paypal changes their TOS, and all the wordsmithing on earth will not change that fact.

If you're ok with theft, then own it. But it seems a tad hypocritical to maintain a "Probation List", and then turn a blind eye to institutionalized theft, "because it's Paypal, and they have enough money" or whatever reason one wishes to give.

Since the sole motivation for using personal PayPal is to avoid the fees, I think this is OT. I see many sellers on the board (and I do it myself) offer multiple payment options allowing the buyer to pay by check or money order (fee free options) or to add 3% to pay through PayPal (assuming that personal PayPal isn't used). Since no one ever objects it would seem that there's nothing in the board rules against that and I can't find anything about it in the marketplace guidelines. It wouldn't seem to be any different from specifying the same buy price and not allowing PayPal payments altogether. Any thoughts?

It's not against the rules to ask for the buyer to pay the 3% paypal fees, but it always strikes me as a tad uncouth, seeing that the boards are by far the cheapest place to sell, as there are absolutely no fees to be paid, no overhead and the majority of buyers are a lot more trustworthy (and will end up paying) compared to eBay.

There have been multiple threads on this subject, with people that tend to do more selling advocating to getting the buyers to pay the fee, and buyers, of course, claiming that it's part of the cost of doing business and the seller should take care of the paypal juice.

For me it's not always the amount that gets added, but the principal of things. It gives off an impression that the seller is trying to squeeze the lemon entirely and it's all about making the maximum profit possible. And it makes me wonder if the seller will skimp on packing supplies and what not as there is some extra profit to be made there as well.

One enlightened soul said he never asks for the paypal fees to be paid by the buyer, but gives a discount if the buyer uses a check or MO. Another smart seller suggested to just incorporate the paypal juice in your asking price. In the end you will get the same amount for your item as if you did ask for the paypal fee as well, but the buyer won't have such a bad taste in his mouth..as ignorance is bliss.

I'm with you. They can ask all they want, but I have never bought from a seller who insists on my paying his PP fees and I never will. I'm also not paying for the gas he burns driving to the post office, the soda he drinks while waiting in line, or the coins he puts in the parking meter. lol

Paypal has the moral right to charge what they wish for the use of their services. You have the moral obligation to pay for those services if you avail yourself of them.

Using it for purchases is therefore theft, and it will remain theft until and if Paypal changes their TOS, and all the wordsmithing on earth will not change that fact.

If you're ok with theft, then own it. But it seems a tad hypocritical to maintain a "Probation List", and then turn a blind eye to institutionalized theft, "because it's Paypal, and they have enough money" or whatever reason one wishes to give.

:o

:blahblah:

:hi:

Lets see, how many times over the years has PayPal ripped me off in regards to a false claim as a SNAD, or chargebacks for item never delivered yet I had the proper delivery confirmation to prove otherwise.

Yeah I will continue to pay those I trust and accept payments from those that trust me via PayPal gift. It would be another story if PayPal truly protected sellers and I hadn't been ripped off now for over $1000 during the last 4 years on multiple transactions. I will get that back from PayPal by not giving them their cut.

Also love that PayPal sent out emails today outlining a change in the T&Cs that have to do with you being able to be a part of a class action lawsuit against them. Oh how they know they are about to be hit hard by a huge class action lawsuit. I can't wait to be a part of it.

Setting that credit card topic aside since I know such laws do exist in some form or other for them, are you saying in NY it's illegal for someone to charge a premium for use of Paypal?

Yes, it's illegal in 10 states, Paypal or CC. Note that one state is California, which is why Ebay will shut down your auction if you try to charge a premium.

Google: "In 10 states it is prohibited by law for retailers to charge consumers a fee for using a credit card (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas). Consumers who are subjected to checkout fees in states where they are protected by law may report the retailer to their state attorney general's office."

Also love that PayPal sent out emails today outlining a change in the T&Cs that have to do with you being able to be a part of a class action lawsuit against them.

Isn't that illegal?

Lets see, how many times over the years has PayPal ripped me off in regards to a false claim as a SNAD, or chargebacks for item never delivered yet I had the proper delivery confirmation to prove otherwise.

Yeah I will continue to pay those I trust and accept payments from those that trust me via PayPal gift. It would be another story if PayPal truly protected sellers and I hadn't been ripped off now for over $1000 during the last 4 years on multiple transactions. I will get that back from PayPal by not giving them their cut.

Also love that PayPal sent out emails today outlining a change in the T&Cs that have to do with you being able to be a part of a class action lawsuit against them. Oh how they know they are about to be hit hard by a huge class action lawsuit. I can't wait to be a part of it.

lol Well, you're certainly owning it!

Setting that credit card topic aside since I know such laws do exist in some form or other for them, are you saying in NY it's illegal for someone to charge a premium for use of Paypal?

Yes, it's illegal in 10 states, Paypal or CC. Note that one state is California, which is why Ebay will shut down your auction if you try to charge a premium.

Google: "In 10 states it is prohibited by law for retailers to charge consumers a fee for using a credit card (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas). Consumers who are subjected to checkout fees in states where they are protected by law may report the retailer to their state attorney general's office."

It is in articulation. Here in NY gas stations offer a discount for cash instead of charging a premium for using a credit card. I am still waiting for someone to challenge this.