• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Clink!

83 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice the auto reserves (*) bouncing around? The Perez piece I mentioned was 5.3K then 6.2K now its 5.4K :whistle:

I was just mentioning that to a couple of friends. Several items..more than 6..started moving up and down a couple days ago. They were down last night and up today.

Weird.

Chris you are too kind, I'd call it suspicious at least. We all know that shilling goes on at auctions, not house is immune. I guess the consignors are free to adjust their reserves as they see fit, but it does look a little fishy and does not inspire confidence.

it is VERY fishy. I hate even the appearance of this type of thing, it is no good for any of us - buyers OR sellers.

I am also a bit surprised the Nowlan Dr Strange 57 cover is at $4k.

closed at 5600

underbidder :frustrated:

Too bad, sorry about that. I watched it end and it looked like $4K. but now I see what you see, $5600. Weird I guess.

I can't believe that RONIN page went for 9725.

The Charest pinup finished at 3300, which seems right if not a tiny bit low. I am supposedly on a commission list for Travis for a few years now so I passed on that one.

I am also a bit surprised the Nowlan Dr Strange 57 cover is at $4k.

closed at 5600

underbidder :frustrated:

Too bad, sorry about that. I watched it end and it looked like $4K. but now I see what you see, $5600. Weird I guess.

I can't believe that RONIN page went for 9725.

The Charest pinup finished at 3300, which seems right if not a tiny bit low. I am supposedly on a commission list for Travis for a few years now so I passed on that one.

IMO that is a lot of pesos for a Nowlan Dr. Strange Cover.

2X what I would have expected. 2X!

I thought 3K, but given how nice the image was I wasn't too shocked when it sat at 4K, but 5.6K now that is strong.

2X what I would have expected. 2X!

I thought 3K, but given how nice the image was I wasn't too shocked when it sat at 4K, but 5.6K now that is strong.

That cover makes me long for the days when the cover actually had something to do with the story inside.

Short recap of the stuff I was watching.

Astonishing Tales 12: 3.1K - Looks like a very solid buy now that the night is over (why didn't I pull the trigger :frustrated:) Big John, 20 cent Marvel picture frame for 3K, well bought I say.

Avengers Annual 2 (Recreation): 2.7K - A nice recreation buy Big J again, looks like it landed about right at that price.

DD 47: 18K - Not the most striking Gene Colan DD Cover, but still that seems about right, maybe a tad high, I'll leave it to those that own Colan 12 cent Marvel Regular size cover art to weigh in.

Conan 71: 6.5K - Here is where I started to scratch my head at 6.5K for a GK/EC Conan cover. Its not excessive but I wouldn't call that well bought either.

Conan 133: 3.7K (Reserve NOT Met) - Well at least the crack pipe stayed holstered here. I think this has traded hands or sold on EBAY in the low 2K range or maybe even upper 1K. One of three pieces I was interested in, and had it been in the mid 2K I would have pulled the trigger here.

X-Men 272 p.4: 4.7K Well its only a 1/3 splash, but that is a darn nice Wolverine depiction. I was very very tempted to keep going but then I though of what else I could buy with 5K and passed.

New Teen Titans 1 p.9: 5.6K - Well this one will have the Perez guys talking, I haven't spoken to Michael L yet so I'm unsure if that was him or maybe Allen (he's been busy lately so it wouldn't surprise me). I know it's a page from Issue 1 but that is A LOT OF CHEETOS for a Perez Panel. I bowed out at 3.5K and we even scratching my head at bidding that. Congrats to the new owner.

Perez Archives Cover: 5.4K (Reserve NOT Met) Hey guys that is a new George Cover and more of a background cover at that. Hey he's my favorite artist but you can nab a nice New Avengers Cover or BB cover for about 1/2 that. :makepoint: The reserve was not even approached as 5.4K was the bump. Its not worth more than 3K on its best day so far.

X-Factor 65: 7.2K - Ok I know that the X-Factor stuff has stopped being a sleeper but 7.2K, the crack pipe re-emerged. Its a great cover and I love Portacio's run here but this was not well bough IMO.

Moon Kight 2: 5.1K - I dunno its a little on the high side considering that it sold for 4.4K with the juice at Heritage in November of 2011. I was an under bidder and this was one of the three I was after but I dunno, the cover to 4 changed hands a few years back for 2.2K and this image while better is not 3K better. I was in for 4K figuring hey no tax from Heritage being in CA, I really thought this would do a little less than it did at auction 10 months ago, well I was wrong, ah well.

Conan Saga (Character Study): 2.1K - Its basically a drawing a la Frazetta that got snazzed up with some light box background stats. Still the Conan image on Vellum is all BWS and it looks like a highly detailed rendering. After being shut out I thought about it but was writing this summary and didn't want to throw down 2.2K.

Conan 2 p.9: 7.1K - Well if you want an early BWS Conan example you have to save up, if you are me that is and I have a hard time paying 7K for a non-cover still.

Oh and I thought the X-Men title splash of Colossus was a decent deal at 8.6K, its still a Byrne X-Men title splash after all.

The Surfer page at 7K looks very sane compared to some of the other results.

2c

Oh PS if anyone got something I said was a crack pipe buy :sorry:

By the way, a somewhat off topic question for all of our comic collectors out there, but what's the word on the Weird Science 29 slabbed at 9.8? I don't follow comic book prices at all but that happens to be one of my favorite covers of all time, and wonder what sort of price to expect on that. Any guesses? It's already over 15k.

Scott

Well Metro owned it for a while, not sure what they moved it at, I though around 10-12K. I'd be surprised if it does much more frankly.

metro never owned this book...

By the way, a somewhat off topic question for all of our comic collectors out there, but what's the word on the Weird Science 29 slabbed at 9.8? I don't follow comic book prices at all but that happens to be one of my favorite covers of all time, and wonder what sort of price to expect on that. Any guesses? It's already over 15k.

Scott

Well Metro owned it for a while, not sure what they moved it at, I though around 10-12K. I'd be surprised if it does much more frankly.

$25.5k

Scott

Are you sure I could have sworn that I saw this on their site for 9-10K a few years ago. I know that there are sometimes multiple Gaines file copies maybe another one. I'm a fan so I note the sales and new copies as they emerge, I'll have to check the Excel tracker I use but I swear I noted a 9.8 Gaines as being available on Metro around 2009.

Ok , went and check my WSF 29 notes, it was a 9.6 for 9.5K but I noted it as being a Gaines file Copy. ???

Scott

Are you sure I could have sworn that I saw this on their site for 9-10K a few years ago. I know that there are sometimes multiple Gaines file copies maybe another one. I'm a fan so I note the sales and new copies as they emerge, I'll have to check the Excel tracker I use but I swear I noted a 9.8 Gaines as being available on Metro around 2009.

If that's what you are referring to they had two Gaines copies back then, a raw 9.4 and a slabbed 9.4.

Scott

If that's what you are referring to they had two Gaines copies back then, a raw 9.4 and a slabbed 9.4.

Yep that's it, weird I had it at a 9.6. So unless there is a third Gaines copy, one of the 9.4s got the press treatment and resubbed? If that's the case someone just 'wholesale'd" Metro to the tune of 15K for a $40 Press and sub. doh!

Oh and I thought the X-Men title splash of Colossus was a decent deal at 7K, its still a Byrne X-Men title splash after all.

I thought that one went for $8400.

Oh and I thought the X-Men title splash of Colossus was a decent deal at 7K, its still a Byrne X-Men title splash after all.

Chris I hit refresh and correct you are, still with what some of the Panels do I thought that is still a decent price.Anyone else have thoughts on the pieces at Clink tonight?

Chris I hit refresh and correct you are, still with what some of the Panels do I thought that is still a decent price.Anyone else have thoughts on the pieces at Clink tonight?

I agree the price seemed light for a page 1 from that run. Did the Days of Future Past page pass?

Conan 71: 6.5K - Here is where I started to scratch my head at 6.5K for a GK/EC Conan cover. Its not excessive but I wouldn't call that well bought either.

Well, Conan #38 sold for $6,601 in the last sale, and Conan #73 sold for $9,600 in the sale before that... (shrug)

Conan 2 p.9: 7.1K - Well if you want an early BWS Conan example you have to save up, if you are me that is and I have a hard time paying 7K for a non-cover still.

Very strange. This page was offered for sale on CAF a few months ago, and the asking price was $9K or $9.5K. I offered the seller $8K for it and he responded that he already had a buyer at $10K for it (guess there was a competitive bidding situation). Somebody either lost or left money on the table here.

It actually sold for $8,400. In any case, it was offered for sale earlier this year for $15K, and some thought it was underpriced even at that level! I'm also surprised that the #141 end page got no love at $15K. I guess all the love now is for 1960s Marvel large art by the biggest names (Kirby, Ditko, Romita), which are seeing some truly eye-popping prices. Most other pages seem to be selling for within 20-25% of consensus fair value, up or down. It's becoming a very bifurcated market, where somebody can shell out $100K for what had been described before the auction by some as a B+ Ditko ASM page, while probably a quarter of the lots went Reserve Not Met. Seems like a healthy market to me! :eyeroll: