• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blama Canada! *edit BLAME

102 posts in this topic

I've lived in the US and Canada, and I would take Canada Post over US Post any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And for all the folks that say they don't want to wait in lines, that's absolutely fine. Its your choice to do so and if you say it won't have any affect on your ebay sales, then so be it. Who am I to argue?

I'm just a fella who continues to spend thousands of dollars per year on comics and comic art...at ever-increasing rate of purchase with non-US sellers.

It's one thing to protect your interests on eBay, and another thing altogether when you're treated like a probie on these boards because of your location.

This is a community, and if members feel they need to continue their U.S. only shipping policy when they sell their junk here, disclaim it in the subject of your sales thread and stop wasting mine and other International boardie's time.

I can tell you I do NOT ship outside of the United States. It is a simple matter of logistics. I ship via US mail and once the package leaves the US; all accurate delivery confirmation and tracking stops. More than likely if a complaint is filed for an item for non-receipt via PayPal; PayPal will rule in favor of the buyer.

This is 100% incorrect.

Please REREAD your updated USER agreement. You know the ones they email you to state changes to. Do you need me to quote the exact wording?

I can tell you I do NOT ship outside of the United States. It is a simple matter of logistics. I ship via US mail and once the package leaves the US; all accurate delivery confirmation and tracking stops. More than likely if a complaint is filed for an item for non-receipt via PayPal; PayPal will rule in favor of the buyer.

This is 100% incorrect.

Please REREAD your updated USER agreement. You know the ones they email you to state changes to. Do you need me to quote the exact wording?

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking (not delivery confirmation) and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

In the last 2-3 years, PayPal extended these safeguards to cover CanadaPost tracking/signature services, but before then, if a Canadian shipped to the U.S., they weren't covered unless they used FedEx or UPS.

Regardless, if boardie's insist on migrating this U.S. only policy to trading in this marketplace, put "U.S. only" in the FS/FT/WTB thread as I'd prefer not wasting my time even clicking the link.

I still get buyers ask me 'But why not?' even after I explain this several times. Therefore, I have this listed in all my listings, 'No international bidders. This does include Canada. There are no exceptions to this policy.'

I now ignore all questions posed in relation to this stated fact.

As to your inquiry as to whether or not if affects sales; I can assure you that I still receive top dollar for my items. Keep in mind though, that I sell most of my items on a BUY IT NOW format.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

do you know once your item crosses border you can take tracking number and enter it in canada post website and track from there?

It works from Canada to USA as well

Try getting PayPal to do this once a dispute is filed. They will track it from the US site and say no information is available; dispute ruled in favor of the buyer.

I had this happen once over a whole ten dollar item. PayPal ruled in favor of the buyer and I am a PayPal Advantage member.

eBay gave me a twenty dollar gift certificate to make up for it. I will NEVER take the chance again.

Ever since then there was no point in being bothered with the hassle. Keep in mind; much like why I get asked as to why I will not travel to do video game conventions (I go to about two a year at most; all locally). I get top dollar for most of my items just by selling to US bidders. From a business standpoint why should I put myself through any more trouble and risk issues with PayPal? It doesn't make sound business sense.

To answer a much more 'non-serious' topic underlying this thread; I am actually jealous of Canadians. Free health care and no opposition from certain 'political parties' to contend with. Note to mods, this is the only comments I will make in this regard and other boardies have said a LOT worse of the years...

Respectfully,

'mint'

This is 100% incorrect.

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

In the last 2-3 years, PayPal extended these safeguards to cover CanadaPost tracking/signature services, but before then, if a Canadian shipped to the U.S., they weren't covered unless they used FedEx or UPS.

Regardless, if boardie's insist on migrating this U.S. only policy to trading in this marketplace, put "U.S. only" in the FS/FT/WTB thread as I'd prefer not wasting my time even clicking the link.

I see what you are saying Comic Wiz and I am only referring to eBay. I have yet to sell on these boards; so therefore, I can ONLY comment on ebay.

I can tell you that working with ebay and PayPal is not fun. I would much rather avoid the situation altogether. It is matter of business from my position. I also work a career from 8-5PM every day; with an hour commute each day; one way. I cannot get to the post office except on Saturdays. Does the average person want to wait a week before me shipping their item? I have to avoid it altogether. It is NOTHING personal. I have visited Canada and I love Canada; believe me.

I truly respect you as a boadie, but when I set up my ebay policies I tried to be as fair as possible with what I had to work around.

If you can offer a better solution, I would be interested...

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS: How do you get tracking (other than delivery/signature confirmation) through the USPS?

This would have to UPS, corerct?

This is 100% incorrect.

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

I see what you are saying Comic Wiz and I am only referring to eBay. I have yet to sell on these boards; so therefore, I can ONLY comment on ebay.

I can tell you that working with ebay and PayPal is not fun. I would much rather avoid the situation altogether. It is matter of business from my position. I also work a career from 8-5PM every day; with an hour commute each day; one way. I cannot egt to the post office except on Saturdays. Does the average person want to wait a week before me shipping their item? I have to avoid it altogether. It is NOTHING personal. I have visited Canada and I love Canada; believe me.

I truly respect you as a boadie, but when I set up my ebay policies I tried to be as fair as possible with what I had to work around.

Respectfully,

'mint'

From what I've been able to observe over the years, shipping does require a great deal of attention to detail and policy. But this doesn't mean sticking to domestic shipping will always be the safer way.

The main issue is PayPal's dispute and chargeback mechanisms, and as a seller you always need to protect yours and the buyers interests.

You could just as well be screwed over by a buyer on U.S. soil who tells you to ship it the cheapest way (without tracking/signature), only to steer you into a dispute resolution process where you can't prove they received anything.

In such situations, as a seller you need to be vigilante, which means keeping up with the cat and mouse games, and safeguarding yourself against the loopholes and defrauding schemes being perpetrated by career scammers.

I think it's entirely fair to disclaim in your listing that International buyers pay exact shipping cost, that items will only be shipped with full tracking and signature/ID confirmation at the door, and that you only have time to ship on weekends due to family/work scheduling. I've been seeing this happening more and more, especially in the last year and it doesn't appear to have slowed down these sellers businesses whatsoever.

Like I said, go with the top-tier USPS International services which offer full tracking and signature confirmation. Request the buyer produce ID at the door. Do not compromise shipping fees because the buyer believes delivery confirmation is just as effective - it isn't. FedEx ground is a decent alternative, but as long as you use a USPS product that does more than just update their site tracking when the packaged is delivered, you should be fine.

As for dispute resolution cases, PayPal uses CanadaPost tracking systems to trace back the delivery trail, so if you get someone giving you a hard time about it, ask to speak to a floor manager/supervisor and insist that the same protections used on CanadaPost XpressPost be used to track your USPS parcel. The only time I've seen neither USPS or CanadaPost site tracking inadequately being able to prove delivery is with with delivery confirmation products.

This is 100% incorrect.

I can tell you that working with ebay and PayPal is not fun. I would much rather avoid the situation altogether. It is matter of business from my position. I also work a career from 8-5PM every day; with an hour commute each day; one way. I cannot egt to the post office except on Saturdays. Does the average person want to wait a week before me shipping their item? I have to avoid it altogether. It is NOTHING personal. I have visited Canada and I love Canada; believe me.

Respectfully,

'mint'

From what I've been able to observe over the years, shipping does require a great deal of attention to detail and policy. But this doesn't mean sticking to domestic shipping will always be the safer way.

The main issue is PayPal's dispute and chargeback mechanisms, and as a seller you always need to protect yours and the buyers interests.

You could just as well be screwed over by a buyer on U.S. soil who tells you to ship it the cheapest way (without tracking/signature), only to steer you into a dispute resolution process where you can't prove they received anything.

In such situations, as a seller you need to be vigilante, which means keeping up with the cat and mouse games, and safeguarding yourself against the loopholes and defrauding schemes being perpetrated by career scammers.

I think it's entirely fair to disclaim in your listing that International buyers pay exact shipping cost, that items will only be shipped with full tracking and signature/ID confirmation at the door, and that you only have time to ship on weekends due to family/work scheduling. I've been seeing this happening more and more, especially in the last year and it doesn't appear to have slowed down these sellers businesses whatsoever.

Like I said, go with the top-tier USPS International services which offer full tracking and signature confirmation. Request the buyer produce ID at the door. Do not compromise shipping fees because the buyer believes delivery confirmation is just as effective - it isn't. FedEx ground is a decent alternative, but as long as you use a USPS product that does more than just update their site tracking when the packaged is delivered, you should be fine.

As for dispute resolution cases, PayPal uses CanadaPost tracking systems to trace back the delivery trail, so if you get someone giving you a hard time about it, ask to speak to a floor manager/supervisor and insist that the same protections used on CanadaPost XpressPost be used to track your USPS parcel. The only time I've seen neither USPS or CanadaPost site tracking inadequately being able to prove delivery is with with delivery confirmation products.

I thank you for responding. I never would; nor have I shipped an item without delivery confirmation.I caution 'newbies' about doing this and I am glad when using the eBay and PayPal 'click and print' shipping services, that under normal circumstances a delivery confirmation number is included.

That being said, I have no trouble getting my 'click and ship' packages out within seventy two hours of receiving cleared payment. These are all US bound packages however.

My problem is sometimes with individual buyers. I actually post a five day handling time on all my eBay listings (even though I usually ship within 3 days or less). That being said, you would NOT believe the amount of customers I have that buy a video game from me and email me that it needs to be in the mail the next day because it is a 'gift.' My listings clearing state the following; 'I do my best to ship all items within seventy two hours of receiving cleared payment, but do have a five day handling time.' Ironically, I still get buyers who do NOT understand what 'handling' time is or think they can make demands because they are buiying a whole $20 item. This is a major issue with eBay.

I do not mean to discredit ALL eBay buyers, but when I sell a $3,000 antique at an antique show I have never experienced an issue; ever. Now I represent and stand behind all items that I sell as well. I do know that comparing the antique and high end collectibles business to eBay is somewhat 'unfair.'

That being said, do you sell on eBay on a continual basis? Normally, I sell video games and pop culture items on eBay only. Most of my high end antiques and collectibles already have a buyer waiting (or I take it to a show); so I have no need to sell the ultra good stuff on eBay. Quality sells in the business I am in and there is always a market for that kind of stuff.

Still, I will look into your suggestions. I am just not sure they will work with my 'got to have it/ship it now' buyers who are used to Amazon.com and other sellers who can ship within twenty four hours of receiving payment. Logistics is an issue I do need to work on; as it also prevents me from listing a lot of my items on eBay at once.

Thank you, ComicWiz.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This is 100% incorrect.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I thank you for responding. I never would; nor have I shipped an item without delivery confirmation.I caution 'newbies' about doing this and I am glad when using the eBay and PayPal 'click and print' shipping services, that under normal circumstances a delivery confirmation number is included.

That being said, I have no trouble getting my 'click and ship' packages out within seventy two hours of receiving cleared payment. These are all US bound packages however.

My problem is sometimes with individual buyers. I actually post a five day handling time on all my eBay listings (even though I usually ship within 3 days or less). That being said, you would NOT believe the amount of customers I have that buy a video game from me and email me that it needs to be in the mail the next day because it is a 'gift.' My listings clearing state the following; 'I do my best to ship all items within seventy two hours of receiving cleared payment, but do have a five day handling time.' Ironically, I still get buyers who do NOT understand what 'handling' time is or think they can make demands because they are buiying a whole $20 item. This is a major issue with eBay.

I do not mean to discredit ALL eBay buyers, but when I sell a $3,000 antique at an antique show I have never experienced an issue; ever. Now I represent and stand behind all items that I sell as well. I do know that comparing the antique and high end collectibles business to eBay is somewhat 'unfair.'

That being said, do you sell on eBay on a continual basis? Normally, I sell video games and pop culture items on eBay only. Most of my high end antiques and collectibles already have a buyer waiting (or I take it to a show); so I have no need to sell the ultra good stuff on eBay. Quality sells in the business I am in and there is always a market for that kind of stuff.

Still, I will look into your suggestions. I am just not sure they will work with my 'got to have it/ship it now' buyers who are used to Amazon.com and other sellers who can ship within twenty four hours of receiving payment. Logistics is an issue I do need to work on; as it also prevents me from listing a lot of my items on eBay at once.

Thank you, ComicWiz.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This all sounds sensible to me. What I would do is put an "International bidders (including Canada) must contact me prior to bidding. No exceptions." When they contact you, emphasize handling. shipping times/costs and if they agree in writing to your terms, you allow them to bid. If there is any dispute down the road, forward all correspondence to eBay. Insure everything to the nose and don't allow them to skimp on a shipping service without tracking and signature.

If there is any dispute down the road, forward all correspondence to eBay. Insure everything to the nose and don't allow them to skimp on a shipping service without tracking and signature.

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter what is agreed upon, ebay won't change any negative feedback or low star DSRs received by disgruntled buyers.

If there is any dispute down the road, forward all correspondence to eBay. Insure everything to the nose and don't allow them to skimp on a shipping service without tracking and signature.

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter what is agreed upon, ebay won't change any negative feedback or low star DSRs received by disgruntled buyers.

eBay is full of flakes, so I'm not buying this problem with inflated sense of entitlement as one endemic to Canadian buyers.

If you send a parcel to Canada using USPS with tracking (not delivery confirmation) and signature confirmation, you have the exact same safeguards as if you were shipping domestically.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or bash, but I'm not sure how a box going from the US to Canada can get USPS signature confirmation. Someone tell me otherwise as I'd like to be able to have the option of getting Signature Confirmation from USPS when shipping from the US to Canada.

Link to USPS site. Look under "Ineligible Items"

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view%28%29=c[c_usps0317]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded

From mintcollectors description of his eBay store (buy it now listings with a sellthrough he is happy with) he will get no extra benefit by adding international shipping, although his costs and risks will increase.

For certain sellers and or product mixes, this is definitely the most profitable strategy.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or bash, but I'm not sure how a box going from the US to Canada can get USPS signature confirmation. Someone tell me otherwise as I'd like to be able to have the option of getting Signature Confirmation from USPS when shipping from the US to Canada.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view%28%29=c[c_usps0317]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded

My understanding is that the only USPS international shipping product which consistently obtains a signature, is Global Express Guaranteed (serviced by Fedex), which is extremely expensive. All other signatures are gathered at the whim of the receiving country's postal service. This service is of course extremely expensive.

Express Mail offers trackimg, insurance and signature reciept

But with postage @ $60 for the boxes, and $30 for the envelopes, Express really only makes sense for higher dollar items, especially if you're offering free shipping here on the Boards. Is there a cheaper, insurable, trackable class of USPS mail from the US to Canada that would work for, say, items under $100? As far as I know, the flat rate International Priority Envelopes can't be insured...or can they? (shrug)

According to the USPS website, "Priority Mail International merchandise parcels"--whatever the hell that means--are the only kinds of packages which can be insured en route to Canada:

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_003.htm#ep2041503

As I've said before, it's the Postal Service on the U.S. side of the border that makes this process a complete headache...

eBay is full of flakes, so I'm not buying this problem with inflated sense of entitlement as one endemic to Canadian buyers.

Agree wholeheartedly. Just wouldn't want anyone to expect correspondence to offer any protection.

Signature confirmation is not required on Express Mail International.