• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just left DragonCon (a rant)

78 posts in this topic

I know that his will probably come across as very D-bag'ish and snobbish

You're right, it does.

I just think that when i am walking down the street past a reporter covering the event and they are openly mocking it and the people there, and when we stopped at Varsity's for lunch and hear a minimum of three different conversations about the "wierdos down the street" and all the "losers invading downtown" it bothers me because i deeply respect our hobby and would love for it to be seen as something that grown and responsible adults are interested in as well as children.

Honestly, man, this sound like high school. So the cool kids are making fun of the nerds and as a result you don't want to risk your popular status by being seen with the wrong crowd?

I give a lot more credit to those "weirdos" and "losers" for having the nuts to just be themselves without worrying what other people think about them.

Thus began problem number 2 and one that i have with just about any gathering of comic, sci-fi, or fantasy aficionados

What a bunch of freaks

It is as if they took every prototypical stereotype of our hobby, force fed them crystal meth for a week and dumped them into downtown Atlanta.

I don't mind the kids.....kids will be kids and if they want to dress up, have fun and get into it, then so be it. What i do object to are the masses of 40-something man-child, adolescents, the shut-ins who are finally seeing daylight for the first time

If you are so turned off why don't you become one of the "shut-ins" you have such disdain for? It sounds like you were offended by the mere presence of people who don't look like you.

Your comments are offensive and surprising coming from a mature person whose board name is "Harry Rod".

:roflmao: I totally missed that!

HarryRod is actually a combo of two parts of my real name.....so.....jam it

And i dont get offended by people who dont look like me, but it would be nice to go to a gathering like this and see a representation of people who dont look like they just crawled out from under a rock. Mostly for the fact that my son is starting to show an interest in comics and i dont want him to be turned off of it by the assumption that everyone into it looks like that!

So here's what I gather from the bolded statement:

"Son, you can like what the freaks like, just don't dress like them so people can't call you a freak, too."

I think you picked the wrong con to give your son comic book exposure. It's ok, we all make mistakes.

You pretty much described the average comic-con experience. Sounds like they don't let strippers in on Dragon-con. I guess that's a positive. The inexcusable thing here is the lack of organization/communication.

And yes--I DO think there are respectable people in the hobby that will stay away from these spectacles. Every year I think about going to a few and every year I talk myself out of it---mainly because of the things you mention.

For the squares commenting about the participants--apparently they don't have anything else to do or contribute. I have a bit of non-conformist in me and while I don't necessarily like the scene I admire the fact that we live in a country that allows us to be what we can be--and for that let their geekdom shine. Some just shoot higher than others lol.

For the squares commenting about the participants--apparently they don't have anything else to do or contribute. I have a bit of non-conformist in me and while I don't necessarily like the scene I admire the fact that we live in a country that allows us to be what we can be--and for that let their geekdom shine. Some just shoot higher than others lol.

My own POV is pretty much what you are saying... I don't care for the 40 yr old dude dressed as sailor moon lol but hey whatever man. At the same time I can relate to the OP's post a little because some of the costumes and that just seem so over the top and I'd be conscious of what associations my kids are forming.

So at something like dragoncon, yeah, I wouldn't really want to expose my youn son or dtr to some of these things either.

And conversely at a "regular" con like SDCC, I wouldn't really want them to see the "eyecandy" pseudostrippers at some booths either.

Whatever. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it but if I went to a con expecting to just hang with regular people who appreciate comics some of the costumes and stuff might turn me off a bit.

On the other hand as others have rightly said, if that's dragoncon's focus, then the OP just picked the wrong con to go to. (shrug)

geekdom is not the same thing as creepy and flat out gross.

Hygeine has nothing to do with how big of a geek you are.

And geekdom has nothing to do with flatout being creepy and disturbing. I will post some pics later but the bald guy with the goatee wearing the female bondage costume was just flat out wrong.....

To each his own. As long as they're staying within the law, I pretty much have no problem with what anyone wears, beyond finding it a- or be-musing.

And as for the old trope about deodorant, I don't buy it. I've been to cons big and small, and haven't found people to be any smellier than at a baseball game or the Nintendo store when the latest Mario game comes out. I do find them to be friendlier though.