• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 1 cgc 6.5 for sale to fund life *drop to 1220*

61 posts in this topic

Trashing this book on the for sale thread, is bad form (low ball offer, and discussing the page quality in a negative light, etc.).

How about if he used the "N" word for his screen name? Would that too be okay? Or maybe the three letter "F" word (think British cigarette)?

Just curious how far one has to go to cross the line here.

Aryan is unacceptable for a screen name. We are talking about an internet screen name. One does not have to use such a term. There are literally millions of names that can be used here. Thousands that actually refer to some aspect of this hobby.

Geesh. Get a clue.

+1 :tonofbricks:

And disregard what Columbia Comics said. He's the last person who should give out sales forum etiquette opinions. doh!

The realpolitik of the situation is that the term Aryan is permanently associated with Nazi Germany and supremacist politics, and there is nothing that can be done to erase that connotation. Nothing.

This is entirely about the inflexible context of the word, and to claim that the use of the term is solely based on its original meaning and that people aren't "reading between the lines" regarding it is disingenuous. The name is obviously going to elicit a reaction, which is the desired effect.

It's unnecessary to have this term as a boardie name when there are so many others to choose from. I'm sure the name is more than common on certain other message boards of a particular leaning, but it is out of place with this one.

:bump:

I got this from Adrian back in his #1 thread, but since then, life has hit and I need to move it.

Usual rules: No HOS or probies

Paypal only, buyer pays fees.

Shipping is 25 and includes insurance, signature, etc.

Open to offers.

Daredevil 1 cgc 6.5 - 1220

RADE9D9420111020_17424.jpg

Words that describe our heritage and culture should not be automatically taboo - unless those words were originally intended to denigrate and insult. Which aryan never was.[…] Allowing Hitler to somehow own these words and their meanings just gives him and his followers some sort of victory.

That was precisely what I meant. :)

And Speedy-D, there is no need to "demonstrate" the swastika is not a "cursed" symbol, for the very same reasons. Associations can be done, and will always be done, but this idea of "irredeemability" of symbols, writing systems, names etc. is disturbing almost as much about an idea of "irredeemability" applied to man.

This led to the suicides of Okinawa, just to make an "unbiased" example, and there can be an endless number.

If Aryan did not mean to imply arianism as intended by Hitler the nickname is as good as any other.

As Jimbo would say… God Bless and sorry for the unintended thread "hacking"… :foryou:

The realpolitik of the situation is that the term Aryan is permanently associated with Nazi Germany and supremacist politics, and there is nothing that can be done to erase that connotation. Nothing.

In italian "aryan" evokes its original meaning, this, and this other as much as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism so it largely depends on the language you are using.

In italian "aryan" evokes its original meaning, this, and this other as much as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism so it largely depends on the language you are using.

Which depends on the language of the message board or conversation in question, which in this case is English. There's no point in trying to spin things with such sophistry. The nuances, meaning and context of the term in other languages is not relevant in this case.

@goldust40. My last reply, since I did not mean to hack this sales thread.

You are right, and I understand what you meant, and I also understand what Speedy meant (and don’t think I am trying any kind of "historical revisionism" here, I wouldn’t dream of such things. These aren’t things which should be taken lightly, but neither they should be taken superficially.

My language is italian, so I think of both things, and while I consider the English language perspective and agree the overtly negative association is still lively, I also think as Tony S said, you are reading a malicious intention where very likely there was none.

If a thing is perceived as "offensive", and wasn’t meant as such by he who used it, it’s strictly a matter of his/her own sensibility to change and/or avoid it, especially if he did not mean to be offensive in the first place. His son is named Aryan, so he clearly doesn’t make the associations you attribute most english speaking people.

Don’t know about "sophistry", I hate anything artificiously complex for the sake of it, I am just trying to see things as they are. Sorry if I sound annoying, it wasn’t meant as such. :)

I got this from Adrian back in his #1 thread, but since then, life has hit and I need to move it.

Usual rules: No HOS or probies

Paypal only, buyer pays fees.

Shipping is 25 and includes insurance, signature, etc.

Open to offers.

Daredevil 1 cgc 6.5 - 1220

RADE9D9420111020_17424.jpg

@goldust40. My last reply, since I did not mean to hack this sales thread.

You are right, and I understand what you meant, and I also understand what Speedy meant (and don’t think I am trying any kind of "historical revisionism" here, I wouldn’t dream of such things. These aren’t things which should be taken lightly, but neither they should be taken superficially.

My language is italian, so I think of both things, and while I consider the English language perspective and agree the overtly negative association is still lively, I also think as Tony S said, you are reading a malicious intention where very likely there was none.

If a thing is perceived as "offensive", and wasn’t meant as such by he who used it, it’s strictly a matter of his/her own sensibility to change and/or avoid it, especially if he did not mean to be offensive in the first place. His son is named Aryan, so he clearly doesn’t make the associations you attribute most english speaking people.

Don’t know about "sophistry", I hate anything artificiously complex for the sake of it, I am just trying to see things as they are. Sorry if I sound annoying, it wasn’t meant as such. :)

I'm emphatically aware of all of this.

I appreciate your need to be an apologist here, but it's misguided. This isn't necessarily about intention, malicious or otherwise, or the sensibilities of the boardie in question. This is about common courtesy and consideration for others.

Now somebody buy that DD 1.

TTFN!!

Have you seen it out of the case? If so, how do the pages look to you?

I'm afraid to say I have not. Sorry.

It's still super tempting... hm

Its possible on a resub to get C/OW pages...

It happens - but this book was just graded one year ago (9/21/11) so I don't know that I'd count on a PQ upgrade.

Thank you guys for all the beautiful comments,

I did said " Sorry " to amalak. I am new to the board, just found this site 2 days ago and had no idea how to make offer and stuff.

this is for those who needs to read their history lessons again :

Aryan /ˈɛərjən/ is an English language loanword derived from the Sanskrit ārya ('Noble').[1][2][3] In present-day academia, the terms "Indo-Iranian" and "Indo-European" have, according to many, made most uses of the term 'Aryan' minimal, and 'Aryan' is now mostly limited to its appearance in the term "Indo-Aryan" for Indic languages and their speakers.

And by the way my sons name is Aryan .. and if someone here thinks its offensive then ... all i have to say is " read between the lines "

whitepower.jpg