• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aircel appreciation

26 posts in this topic

warlock 5
Those first 12-13 books where the original creative team worked on the stories were fantastic. And the cover art - I would love to own some of that OA.

But once BB took over creative direction, it seemed to lose its way.

Nice Samurai #1!

:applause:

I remember serving in the U.S Army stationed in Georgia and seeing all the dealers with these on the wall that at one point were going for $30-$60. Elflord #1 and Fish Police #1 were other "must have" investor books over time, going for $35 and $60 respectively. I was overjoyed to buy a Fish Police for $30. :(

But what a fun time to be collecting independent books. I still have my Dark Horse Presents #1, which didn't get as much attention at the time.

Nice Samurai #1!

:applause:

I remember serving in the U.S Army stationed in Georgia and seeing all the dealers with these on the wall that at one point were going for $30-$60. Elflord #1 and Fish Police #1 were other "must have" investor books over time, going for $35 and $60 respectively. I was overjoyed to buy a Fish Police for $30. :(

But what a fun time to be collecting independent books. I still have my Dark Horse Presents #1, which didn't get as much attention at the time.

Yes. The glory days of black and white comics. I chose Fish Police 1 over a nice copy of silver surfer 1 (1968.) :makepoint: These are great picking up cheap. Who knows? They might actually pick up steam and be slightly more valuable someday?

I used to buy anything by Aircel any time I saw it. I had to slow down though, but they are awesome cheaper comics to collect.

I buy a lot of Aircel books, as well. For me, being a hoarder, and a OCD case, I buy these (Adventurers) up whenever I see them. It's a "Cal like" thing, except it's far cheaper than gobbling up IMSM 1's. As I've mentioned before, I've set out on a quest to find a 10.0 of the first issue, and that's been more fulfilling to me than chasing some random, higher dollar book to flip. Even at a loss.

Thanks for starting these threads, these copper indies are so much fun to track down. They remind me of the esoteric golden age books, not super valuable but so much fun to collect. I really love the raw creativity compared to the mainline books. When I appreciate any art, I look for the imperfections that make the perfection. I lament the mass media age because all imperfection is removed leaving a product devoid of humanity. Food becomes flavorless, music becomes robotic, movies become computer generated cartoons... It all has it's place I guess but I miss burnt pizza, out of harmony voices, Ray Harryhausen and '80's indy comics.

This thread and the Adventurers thread makes me want to go box diving (awesome phrasing eh? :grin: ) for all my old copies.
It's filled a hole in my collecting habits, lately. hm Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to completing a 9.8 or above set of the first ten, even though I'll probably lose money. It's all about having fun in what I'm collecting, trading, and talking to people about.