• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Analysis and theory on ComicLink's August OA auction on OCAL...

162 posts in this topic

If I was to look at both markets I would surmise that there is a lot less cash being transacted in OA than appears on the surface due to the predominance of trade, or trade as a significant factor. In comics I would similarly suggest that there is a lot of re-cycling going on as people sell slabs to buy slabs; this is easier to do in comics as there are more gross buyers of comics than OA and there are more avenues to sell your comics.

I think you are right that in OA there is still a lot of trade built into the high sales prices we hear about. But, that was always the knock on HG comics years ago. Trades between a few high rollers like Geppi and Dentist.

But now, the money changing hans is cash by a wide majority due to in great part that most book sell in auctions.

But, Id argue (if I had a pony in this race) that OA is approaching that same reality. The benchmark sales prices of the past, whether trade or cash, are being met now by cash sales, as the OA market seems to be widening its reach to new collectors and former slab collectors.

Maybe its fueling a bubble... maybe the bubble will inflate for another decade! IUt sure feels frothy now, but dont forget Gene called a bubble on slabs ten years ago. He was right about some aspects of slabs, but the best stuff just kept chugging along.

Id say that one should approach OA with the experience of slabs in mind. Dont talk yourself into lesser, common stuff that appeals to you now but will not to many other people in the future.... of course IF you are investing for profit. No harm in buying a piece of comics history to decorate your life. But the money will be made in the "good stuff" you can buy at decent prices, as always.

Right on observations. The Kirby,Ditko and Romita Sr. silver age OA are what Superman,Batman and Captain America are to golden age comics. They are the keepers long term. I would be suspect for the most part about other artists that are going for top money.Times and fads change when it comes to flavor of the month artists. Kinda reminds me of how big money went for all those 9.8 bronze age comic books a few years back. IMHO.